Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #41

Unbelievable! That all turns out to be on such a professional level… nice to read along.

Just one thought when I saw the animation:
When you‘re putting all that effort in, do you think about selling to others?
If so, did you ever had in mind to make a „short version“ for a RB?

It‘s a pity I got my ujoint bumper 6months ago… :-)

E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #42
Site Team

Crazy CAD and animation skills! Can't wait to see some pics of your finished bumper.

BTW, have you done a weight and moment analysis to see if everything will survive?

Herb
Old 05-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #43

Garage
Lilnuts2:
Thanks hopefully all this planning and CAD work will make sure I don't have one of those moments! I've been looking at a spool gun so aluminum may still be where I end up.

E-350:
Thank you! I can almost 100% say that I will not be taking on building more than one unless I could find a real fabricator who wanted to take on all the fabrication work. If I somehow get the CAD work dialed in on the first go around I wouldn't be opposed to partnering with someone to start building them, but with my less than professional level of fabrication experience combined with my limited time I don't see taking on building more than just my own bumper. The good news is that if I do ever end up selling the bumper or partnering with someone to make them this design is for an RB van! For an EB van, the side wings would just need to be extended at the flatter section of the side piece and then it should work.

BroncoHauler:
Thank you! The animation was a fun little project I used to test some newer software I've been playing around with. This project might end up getting shifted to the back burner depending on when my 4x4 stuff shows up, but hopefully, I'll be able to bring it into the real world in not too long! I'm still trying to dial in my material choice and material thicknesses but have started adding some real-world values to the materials to check overall weights. Once I have that dialed in I'll look more closely at running some structural annalists on it.
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:11 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcaris View Post
...Once I have that dialed in I'll look more closely at running some structural annalists on it.
Finite Element Analysis?

Herb
Old 05-26-2022, 10:54 AM   #45

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Finite Element Analysis?

Herb
We will see how much I can really do! I've done some structural analysis before, but that was mainly in regards to construction projects which is much more easily done natively in the program I am using. If I can get the model right I might be able to run some stress simulations, but no promises. It would be pretty sweet to see if anything in the current design needed to be redesigned.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #46

Looks like you‘re tied up with other things he? :-)
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
Looks like you‘re tied up with other things he? :-)
Yeah, I've been busy with other house projects and getting everything situated for my 4x4 conversion, so this project has been pushed to the back burner for now. The plan is to jump back into this after the 4x4 is complete so most likely this will be my winter project.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:25 PM   #48

Any updates on this project?
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:44 AM   #49

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Any updates on this project?
Not yet! Just finished the 4x4 conversion and that ended up taking longer and costing more than expected so this one will be pushed a little further off. The current plan is to have it done by late spring/early summer. This way we have a way to take our bikes on some trips as we get back into the summer riding season in the PNW. Over the next couple of months though I will be working on finalizing CAD files and trying to solve any of the remaining issues I have with this idea so I might have more updates to share as I work through those.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:33 PM   #50

Following along, this is awesome! I've been looking around for a fabricator who can build exactly this style bumper. Similar to the "high clearance bumpers" that a lot of Toyotas use. I would need it adapted for the EB and I want to make sure that side part is strong enough to act as a rock slider. What software are you using?
WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote