Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2022, 08:31 PM   #31

Your hoop steps in the bumper got me thinking.........

You could make a short ladder by extending/duplicating the front vertical brush guard.....perhaps have a grab handle or two higher up.....

Or just integrate a full height ladder into the design......

*I figured my crude stick-man crayon sketches would balance out your stunning solidworks models

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:00 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Your hoop steps in the bumper got me thinking.........

You could make a short ladder by extending/duplicating the front vertical brush guard.....perhaps have a grab handle or two higher up.....

Or just integrate a full height ladder into the design......

*I figured my crude stick-man crayon sketches would balance out your stunning solidworks models

That is a great idea. It could be made removeable also.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:40 AM   #33

Garage
marret:
Thank you! So far I am liking how it's coming together.

Twoxentrix:
Thank you! I will have to do some digging to see if I can figure out what the depth of the Aluminess bumper is in comparison to how I currently have it. Like you said the swing arms would probably be better with some additional support under them. I think I have the measurements right for the water/fuel cans and will max only be able to fit 3. Sometimes these lines really start blending together on the model views which makes it difficult to tell where some things are starting and stopping. It sure would be nice if the metal fab work was as forgiving and easy as my cardboard fab!

boywonder:
I think that is a good idea worth exploring! I'll have to open up my model and play around with how it would look if the ladder and brush guard were integrated together. I came across a ladder design by Gamiviti which uses a " flex-hitch system" to allow mounting from the bumper to roof rack. It's an interesting idea that I'll have to look at more. Also, I have to say thank you for doing your bumper thread because that was one of the things that gave me another push to start looking into building my own bumper!

vandiesel:
I think that's a good idea! Like I said above I'll be heading back into my model to play around with some different ideas.
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:13 PM   #34

Garage
So I did some more modeling and tried out Boywonder's suggestions as they seemed like an intriguing idea. I did come across a few problems with these ideas that I have laid out below. Also, I am really liking all the suggestions so keep them coming!

The first one I tried was just a quick model where I slide the ladder back into the brush guard simulating it being one continuous piece. The issue I found with this idea is that the ladder would fall outside of the van's back curve unless the ladder was modified to match this curve. I think that would end up being more complicated and I am not sure how I would like the look of it. But this is still on the table as an option.

For the second one, I tried the half ladder idea. The one issue I found with this one is that this would require upper rungs to be mounted to the van body which isn't ideal in my opinion. Also, I am not sure I love the look of it. What does everyone else think of these two ideas?

Since people seem to be enjoying seeing some rendering and model views throughout the design process I decided to play around with a few other ideas I thought of. I realized while working on the model that it really would be best to have my license plate mounted somewhere it would still be visible even with my bikes on the back. So after trying a few ideas I landed on adding a recessed section in the middle of the bumper face for the license plate. Not only would this give me a location for the plate that would be seen even with my bike rack installed it also adds a center step on the rear bumper.

Then I went on to revise the storage box to be more similar to Boywonder's bumper where the storage compartment goes back in between the frame rails. This model isn't totally perfect for real world conditions but it's a start to visualize the idea.

Then after studying the Southco latches a little closer I think I came up with a clean way that I could have a button-operated release mechanism for each swing out. These seem to be similar to how Aluminess does the latching but theirs are lever actuated rather than cable actuated.

Then based on a previous recommendation from dhally I modeled a design that would allow for the lights to be inset slightly in the bumper ensuring that they wouldn't be damaged by something. This also allowed me the opportunity to add a protected mounting location for an air chuck. I have been looking at possibly doing an air system similar to The "Wifey" Air Sytem which uses a central pressure gauge and a hose connection to each wheel to make air up times faster. Alternatively, these spots could also house a portable solar panel connection port or an Anderson plug for external 12v power. What does everyone think about this design iteration?

Also Just for the fun of it, I did a quick animation of the bumper just to see how everything was working together. So far I think it's looking like it will work.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #35

Garage
Outstanding process & graphics Vandit !
Two questions:
1. As laid out, can one even open the large Storage box door without taking the bikes off the their rack?
2. If one decided to open either swing arm, I assume both bikes would have to be removed completely - correct?

***I looked at the Wifey Air system, but purchased the Up Down Air system since it has a regulator you're able to adjust (don't have to constantly check the pressure).
https://updownair.com/product-category/gen-2/
Old 05-14-2022, 03:53 PM   #36

Garage
Twoxentrix:
Thanks for the compliments and for the info about the differences between the two air up systems! I have looked at both, but guess I missed that crucial part.

As for your two questions see my answers below.

1. So you bring up a good point and something I will need to confirm dimensionally, but yes you should be able to get into the box even with the bikes on. It will not be the easiest process, but the 1Up rack is design to allow for the bikes to be pivoted downward (mainly for people with hatch backs or tailgates to still get into the back of their vehicle). So since I plan on using the standard hitch mount rack it should allow enough pivot downward to allow for the storage box door to squeeze past the inner bike. I appreciate the question because it makes me realize I need to look at this a little closer to confirm my plan will work.

2. No that shouldn’t be the case well at least my plan is to make that not have to be the way it works. The current design forces the passenger swing to open first before the tire swing on the driver side. The bike rack will attach to the passenger side swing so it will swing with the storage box. So as long as I can make a plan to make the release latch still accessible with the bikes on it should swing as one unit out of the way and make the driver swing out and back doors accessible without removing the bikes.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcaris View Post
Twoxentrix:
2. No that shouldn’t be the case well at least my plan is to make that not have to be the way it works. The current design forces the passenger swing to open first before the tire swing on the driver side. The bike rack will attach to the passenger side swing so it will swing with the storage box. So as long as I can make a plan to make the release latch still accessible with the bikes on it should swing as one unit out of the way and make the driver swing out and back doors accessible without removing the bikes.
I must have missed this during you're earlier posts - I assumed you had the Bike rack mounted to the bumper. But, with that much weight extending on a pivot it will need to be quite robust to accommodate so much weight (Box + stuff in it, Fuel/water cans filled on the top, and Bikes).
No doubt you'll find (or have found) a solution.

Great Thread, I look forward to it all coming to fruition.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:10 PM   #38

I wouldn’t connect the bumper to the body like some of your pics are suggesting with the ladder. The frame twist a hell of a lot in respect to the body, it’s the man reason all side ladders are connected to the body only and not the frame and body (as mounding to the frame at the bottom of the ladder would be preferable if it was a viable option).
If you want to verify, drive one rear wheel up on a ramp and look at how the bumper is no longer in alignment with the body.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:53 AM   #39

Garage
Twoxentrix:
Yeah, it's quite a bit of weight when you start really adding it up! I most likely won't really carry fuel unless really heading back into the backcountry, and I may end up doing with a smaller box just to keep weight down and make it a little slimemr. My thought is that if Aluminess can achieve enough strength to basically carry the same amount of weight off two hinge points and only welding the vertical connection to the bumper at the surface then passing that same structure through the bumper and adding 2 more hinge points should help strengthen it up. Only time will tell I guess if this plan will really work.

SheepShagger:
Totally agree with that! If you look back in this same thread I referenced this a few times and have thrown out a few ideas to make this plan work. Still need to do some more research for the ladder portion of this design, but it will most likely be isolated from each component with some kind of hinge and bushing system. Still, lots to figure out.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #40

Looking good, at least your taking a great deal of time in the planning stage rather then having a "oh shit" moment with torch in hand.

Oh and I'll take one out of aluminum please : )
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote