Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

Removing painted pin stripping?

I am picking up my new to me SMB next week! I got a great deal but it has painted on pin stripping. It's the first thing I want to change. I am pretty handy but haven't done a lot of body work. I heard I could wet sand it off? Any advise??
Thanks

Lots of Cannondale bicycles...
:h1:
Ojbikemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #2

Re: Removing painted pin stripping?

Are you sure its painted on? Is it just two narrow lines? You could try wet sanding it but you will have to go easy. You can also try lacquer thinner if the van has all original paint under the stripes. Did someone stripe it for a blend line (painted above or below the line?) if so you should touch them or it will show. You could try one of these even if its painted, they work good for tape stripes.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 5F9HLJ3Kbl

But if the van has had those stripes on there since 2001 the paint under the stripes will be a whole lot nicer that the paint surrounding them so you still might have a pin stripe even if its the same color as the rest of the van, just a thought.

Good Luck and congrats on the new van...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #3

If they are painted on I think you're best bet is to get a 'car wrap' material stripe to match the car colour and use that to cover them. Removing painted stripes is possible but it's not easy and you risk damaging the paint underneath as well as producing a different coloured stripe of fresh new paint anyway. Then you could use rubbing compound and do the entire van to blend it all in I suppose...

A matching car wrap stripe will only be visible from close up and won't cost much, take much time or do any damage.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
If they are painted on I think you're best bet is to get a 'car wrap' material stripe to match the car colour and use that to cover them. Removing painted stripes is possible but it's not easy and you risk damaging the paint underneath as well as producing a different coloured stripe of fresh new paint anyway. Then you could use rubbing compound and do the entire van to blend it all in I suppose...

A matching car wrap stripe will only be visible from close up and won't cost much, take much time or do any damage.
I like that idea. Only wrap the lines...
Thanks!
Lots of Cannondale bicycles...
:h1:
Ojbikemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #5

Removing painted pin stripping?

I have the same problem!.. I bought my van two weeks ago and I want to remove the pinstripes!..

And I found some videos on YouTube about how to remove them!..
You need to buy an astro 400E eraser removal disc. You can find it on eBay for $12
vanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #6

I think the eraser you mention only works for vinyl/stick-on pinstripes, not the painted-on stripes that most SMBs (including mine) have.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote