Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

Replacing body mounts 2001 E350

While I was under my van the other day, I noticed all the bushings were splitting and falling apart. I got a quote for new bushings from Ford and it was about $1100 dollars for parts not including new bolts.

Cross referencing the part numbers on Rockauto there are 3 bushings offered, for position 1, positions 2,3,4,6 and position 5.
Are there the same amount of bushings for an RB and EB van with spacing being the only difference? I have an Extended Body..

Am I on the right though process that for a full replacement, I would need to get 2 for each position for a total of 12?

would get under my van to verify everything but its back in the shop due to the shop that was supposed to fix the oil and fuel leak creating a much larger leak some how...

I want to get every bushing replaced before I start the interior build as it will then be rather difficult to access the bolts once a floor is installed.

ScubaVanAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:34 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'll be interested knowing how this turns out, what issues are encountered during the replacement. Having once read this thread on FTE: http://https://www.ford-trucks.com/f...et-it-out.html

Seems to one of those initially "easy" fixes that sadly comes with problems given the age and location of the body mounts. If you've been quoted $1100 for the whole job I'd say that's relatively cheap.

Please keep us updated on your progress---and good luck with this project.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #3

I would talk to Chris at Ujoint or Michael at Expovans about this. I doubt hardly anyone here has done it but both of them have. Separating a van body from frame is a big job and not a fun one. Also, It's hardly ever necessary. I've seen and owned some pretty destroyed vans and never seen body mounts that were even questionable. Could you post some pics?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
If you've been quoted $1100 for the whole job I'd say that's relatively cheap.

Please keep us updated on your progress---and good luck with this project.
the $1100 was just the bushings, no bolts or metal sleeves, definitely no labor at that price. But I work at a shop with a lift and just did a full replacement on an F250 last week, I only need to lift the body about 3-4" max to get the old ones out, shouldn't be too hard with the lift.

86Scotty, ill get some photos up soon, the rubber on the upper mount is split so much I could poke the metal sleeve with a flat head screw driver, and I figure if im doing the rear 4, I might as well do them all so the rubber compound is the same front to back.
ScubaVanAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

Gotcha. That’s true about needing to only life a few inches I guess. Michael has told me the bolts are super tough to remove especially if there’s any rust. Let us know how it turns out!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #6

We’ve done a number of body offs and replaced quite a few body mounts. You’ll likely have to take a saws all to the old mounts. If your van is an empty shell, now is def the best time to do it. Dorman makes replacement body mounts at a fraction of the price of the ford ones but still great quality, I believe Chris uses these now as well.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:35 PM   #7

Does anyone know what the torque spec for the bolts? I pulled out the two rear in the tailgate to treat some rust and need to get them bolted back in to spec.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Does anyone know what the torque spec for the bolts? I pulled out the two rear in the tailgate to treat some rust and need to get them bolted back in to spec..
Gotta finish this project,
After searching some of the Ford truck forums, which have no info concerning econolines and body mounts, I settled on 50lbs torque. Hope it's enough...
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote