Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

Running Flooring Seamlessly Into the Cab

So a 120lb roll of Lonseal Londeck Coin arrived at my house today. It's this stuff:

LONSEAL LONDECK COIN GREY VINYL FLOORING 90" X 20' FEET MARINE BOAT | eBay

It looks and feels very much like loncoin II, but I kind of like the medium-ish grey better than the loncoin. I really don't know the difference spec wise, but this stuff is rated for outdoor use on boats.

Anyway, my plan is to run this seamlessly up through the cab all the way to the firewall. I have my janky rubber mat and a tempalte I made for the rear. I plan on oversizing and using the seat bolt holes to locate it and then take my time trimming it all out. It will fall off after the wood deck and I have a plan for a tapered transition piece between the front seats.

Anyone try this?? Running flooring full length??

One nice thing was that I was thinking about putting Mass Loaded Vinyl on the floor in the cab. This stuff weighs about .8 lbs per sqft, so between this, the closed cell foam, and the Butyl matt I should be in pretty good shape noisewise.

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #2

I have my 20'x8' roll waiting for me at Home Depot, ready to try something similar. We can suffer together!
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #3

Should be interesting...post pictures!

Obviously, getting the stuff to lay down around the front wheel wells may be a challenge.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Sure will. I may have to seam this together a bit over those side humps. It will defintiely float a bit down into where the seats mount. I am thinking a heat gun might be a big helper here.

Hard part is gonna be wrastling an 80+ lb piece of vinyl into place.

Good luck bemerrit!! I know I am gonna need some.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Sure will. I may have to seam this together a bit over those side humps. It will defintiely float a bit down into where the seats mount. I am thinking a heat gun might be a big helper here.

Hard part is gonna be wrastling an 80+ lb piece of vinyl into place.

Good luck bemerrit!! I know I am gonna need some.
Looking forward to seeing your progress! Couple of questions, Flux. I'm close to ordering flooring this coming week

Can you cut and use matching weld rod to meld seams?

Also what exactly is your sub floor?
Old 11-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #6

I do believe you can use weld rod, but that is a bit advanced for me. Any seams over non flat areas will most likely be overlapped and glued. My goal is to make it up in between the seats and to the door sills and firewall in a fairly decent manner. It will definitely get wonky under the seats, no subfloor there.

For the main van I have two layers of 1/8" ensolite (sticky back) down over top of about 50% coverage of butyl vibration dampener. Ensolite will insulate a bit and kill road noise and limit squeeks. Then over that is 1/2" ply. I have 3/8 ply to fill the valleys.

The cab has 100% butyl with the dual layer of ensolite. I have to make a wide filler wedge from where the passenger seat wiring crosses between the seats and up toward the doghouse. That will be the trick so the walking areas up front will be flatish.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #7

We have used the same stuff on the ship I work on. One of the problems we have run into, which should work out good for the install in a van. Just setting the flooring out in the sun really softens it up. So much so that a section we set over the "Boston Whaler" skiff took on the shape of the bow and running lights. I would assume that a heat gun and the sun will get the flooring to form to the font wheel wells. All that should be needed is a little heat and some patience.
primitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by primitive View Post
We have used the same stuff on the ship I work on. One of the problems we have run into, which should work out good for the install in a van. Just setting the flooring out in the sun really softens it up. So much so that a section we set over the "Boston Whaler" skiff took on the shape of the bow and running lights. I would assume that a heat gun and the sun will get the flooring to form to the font wheel wells. All that should be needed is a little heat and some patience.
Thanks for that!!

Where I have 1/2" ply that runs to the rear and side door sills, I am gonna chamfer the edge and try and get the flooring to conform. This is good info. I tend to get impatient and make mistakes. This flooring cost a grip, gotta do it as best I can. Also gonna try to bathtub it into the walls so spills don't have anywhere to go really.

One thing I am nervous about is the sticky back ensolite on the floor. Should water come up from the bottom though some hole, the ensolite will tend to keep it in there. Guess time will tell, but I will have to keep a sharp eye on the bottom of the floor and where any bolts go through.

definitely pumped to have a floor though!! Even if it doesn't come out perfect.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #9

....based on Primitive's experience, it sounds like a heat gun is your friend.......

You may want to practice on a scrap piece first......and maybe a hair dryer is enough.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

I did one piece of carpet in my current van, it isn't nearly as stiff as the stuff you have but to be honest it took a lot of effort to make it fit nicely in the front...luckily I had enough carpet to make a demo piece (for the front area) first which also led to other ideas for a better install.
Trial and error...
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote