Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #11

Re: Rust in Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighodad808
I just thought of another option. Perhaps I can locate a used fiberglass top and just replace the roof. No more rain gutters and fiberglass doesn't rust!!
Great idea but it won't help......completely. It will still seep in around the windshield.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighodad808
I just thought of another option. Perhaps I can locate a used fiberglass top and just replace the roof. No more rain gutters and fiberglass doesn't rust!!
Most of the ones I have seen do not go all the way to or cover the gutters just close. Plus you would still have to do something to fix the rust you already have or it would just keep getting worse under the fiberglass. I would however think that if you could find someone to install roof (used or new) maybe they could make some suggestions to help prevent rust. Maybe if the rust was cleaned up and the new roof installed they could seal the whole area to the outer edges of the gutter so no water would puddle in them at all.

I hope for the money they are going to charge you they are going to repaint the entire roof as well to help prevent and further rusting on the entire roof.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #13

I had to deal with rust on the gutters several years ago on my 2004. While we only get 12" of rain a year I had parked on a slight incline all those years and condensation pooled in the back and once that filling cracked it started to go quite quickly. While 10 hours seems an overcharge it is a pain to remove as I did it myself. The bulk of it scrapes out with a narrow wood chisel and then I used a stiff wire wheel on a drill to remove the remnants. I only did the rear gutter and about 4 inches around the corner. I sprayed it with an expensive rust control primer and then had the entire roof, gutters and under lip sprayed with Line-X. This was at the same time I had the pop top coated to take care of its extensive leaking and deterioration. I did all the pop top and roof prep myself and it cost around $1200 for the Line-X application. I have not had another issue with penthouse leakage, roof rub to bare metal or gutter problems since then. I have a few pictures in my gallery.

Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

Thanks guys,

Lots of good information that I will take into consideration as I deal with this. For now, I'm just going to spot treat the rust area since its small and superficial and then monitor closely. I too was parking on a slant and the water was pooling back there so I've also started backing into my parking spot so that the rain doesn't pool in the rear gutter.

2004 QuadVan E350 V8 Chateau
bighodad808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #15

My chevy's roof sealer was cut out in a few areas from the PO when he put ladder racks. My plan is to replace the sealer and then spray/roll the entire roof with some white monstaliner to seal/protect it.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
I had to deal with rust on the gutters several years ago on my 2004. I sprayed it with an expensive rust control primer and then had the entire roof, gutters and under lip sprayed with Line-X. This was at the same time I had the pop top coated to take care of its extensive leaking and deterioration. I did all the pop top and roof prep myself and it cost around $1200 for the Line-X application. I have not had another issue with penthouse leakage, roof rub to bare metal or gutter problems since then. I have a few pictures in my gallery.

Pat
Considering Line-X and Corroseal Rust Converter Primer to re-seal the pop-top and fix rusting gutters.

Other suggestions?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #17

Use the van more?

I'm semi serious. The wear from rubbing that my penthouse does not only wore the paint off, but the rust too, so back down to bare metal.

I've used touch up paint, mainly when I'm letting it sit. Aluminum tap worked for quite a while. That really tough tape, almost what, 1mm thick, that SMB sells works really well and adheres like crazy.

Some silicone spray on the rubber also makes it more slippy, so it doesn't abrade away as much paint.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #18

My van has the same gutter issue and I'm wondering if I should consider treating it myself. While washing the roof yesterday I saw a little more of what appears to be surface rust and I'd like to stop it before it gets worse and causes a leak. The rest of the roof and van's paint is still holding up fine. Good enough for me anyway. A few minor paint scratches from tree branches have not caused any rust.

So what's the recommendation? Does the factory filler have to be removed? Or can a little careful sanding down to clean surface or metal at edge of filler-to-roof joint followed by paint and or additional 3M (or equal) filler do the job? Is it likely rust extends below what is visible? I won't know for sure unless I remove filler.

My van is 2001 and sits outside, so even when it doesn't rain the roof may get a little damp at night. If I had applied more wax it probably would have prevented this.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #19

On our new to us 2002 7.3, which is literally like new, we are planning a CCV top. I am seriously considering the clear bra paint protection tape all around the gutter and roof area where the top will rest on the paint a gutter area. There is a 4 in roll that looks like it would work perfectly.

Any thoughts on this idea?
Old 10-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #20

Here is a picture of my rain gutter. I've used the gutter lip a few times to hang exterior curtains to cover windows but can do without them, so filling the gutter to prevent water retention is a possibility.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image.jpg  
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote