Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 AM   #21
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Rust in Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
On our new to us 2002 7.3, which is literally like new, we are planning a CCV top. I am seriously considering the clear bra paint protection tape all around the gutter and roof area where the top will rest on the paint a gutter area. There is a 4 in roll that looks like it would work perfectly.

Any thoughts on this idea?
That's actually a great idea, assuming a few things. Use the 3M brand of that tape---there's nothing better quality-wise on the planet.

Talk to Derek at CCV about this as he may have some insight that would be helpful.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
On our new to us 2002 7.3, which is literally like new, we are planning a CCV top. I am seriously considering the clear bra paint protection tape all around the gutter and roof area where the top will rest on the paint a gutter area. There is a 4 in roll that looks like it would work perfectly.

Any thoughts on this idea?
That's actually a great idea, assuming a few things. Use the 3M brand of that tape---there's nothing better quality-wise on the planet.

Talk to Derek at CCV about this as he may have some insight that would be helpful.
The rubber weatherstripping around the CCV top is a softer durometer than that on the SMB top (at least compared to the trim I got from SMB Indiana). That is going to help reduce paint chafe on its own, but I also feel the CCV top is less prone to movement that causes the chafe to begin with. Please keep in mind my experience is limited to my previous 80's era SMB top (but rebuilt with new hardware when I installed, so it wasn't 'sloppy') and a new CCV top. YMMV.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #23

holy thread resurrection.. Rust in Gutters

My 95 E350 came from Florida, so my gutter has already been repaired, kind of..

I'm guessing when I grind out the old bondo, it wont be pretty..

Any suggestions on where to buy the steel gutter its self? Or do you have to build it from scratch and weld it back on?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #24

I think to take out all the old bondo is the only way to protect from new rust for the next few years. It is a hard job. Using a "hairdryer" to warm the bondo up helps a lot.
You have to use new bondo before making the paint job because untherwise water will get between the metal sheets. I used "sikka".
Also helping from new rust is to drill two holes into the gutter in the rear edges. So water can trop out easy. It also is nice because than it trops out at the edges and not at your head while opening the rear doors

[thumb][/thumb]
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2147.jpg   IMGP2239.jpg   IMGP2146.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #25

There are allot of good recommendations here and I thought I might revive it

This winter I need to repair my van rain gutter drip edge. My gutter has been repaired and filled by the PO down in Florida but it's starting to pop again. He didn't tell me about this until I had flown down and was standing there. "I thought everyone knew roofs rust in florida" he said..

My thought was to grind everything out down to bare metal and access. Paint with Por-15. Fill the entire gutter with 3M 5200 (Iv read Vulkem changed there formula) and level it to prevent and shed any standing water. I'm not to worried about a shinny finish as my van is simply a work van. I just want it last.

Any additional suggestions on this plan?

I did find another thread about rusting van gutters..
Some bad surface rust on the roof rain gutters - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #26

Did you get this taken care of. My 1995 E250 has the same issue. Its time for me to fix it. I have been looking for a Body shop now to Paint the entire van. But Finding one that knows how to fix this issue seems to be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
This winter I need to repair my van rain gutter drip edge. My gutter has been repaired and filled by the PO down in Florida but it's starting to pop again. He didn't tell me about this until I had flown down and was standing there. "I thought everyone knew roofs rust in florida" he said..

My thought was to grind everything out down to bare metal and access. Paint with Por-15. Fill the entire gutter with 3M 5200 (Iv read Vulkem changed there formula) and level it to prevent and shed any standing water. I'm not to worried about a shinny finish as my van is simply a work van. I just want it last.

Any additional suggestions on this plan?

I did find another thread about rusting van gutters..
Some bad surface rust on the roof rain gutters - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

Thanks!
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
Did you get this taken care of. My 1995 E250 has the same issue. Its time for me to fix it. I have been looking for a Body shop now to Paint the entire van. But Finding one that knows how to fix this issue seems to be an issue.
Not yet. I just picked up some steel wheels with old tires so that I can air down and drive it under my 7' door.

One step I forgot to add would be to neutralize the rust after grinding the old sealer/mud out because its a pinch point where rust will be hiding where you cant reach it.

I want to take every precaution because I hate to say it.. My new engine will run longer than this body will last.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
Not yet. I just picked up some steel wheels with old tires so that I can air down and drive it under my 7' door.

One step I forgot to add would be to neutralize the rust after grinding the old sealer/mud out because its a pinch point where rust will be hiding where you cant reach it.

I want to take every precaution because I hate to say it.. My new engine will run longer than this body will last.
Yes I hear that. I just built a new Shop Building for my Van. now it has a 10 foot high door. I was lucky and could just fit it under my 8 foot door in my garage. Now I have a proper building to work on it in.
And yes that Rust will follow the Seams under the welds. Sadly this is a know issue that all Econolines with Roof Gutters suffer from. Maters not the Year. Its the silly Crimped and folded seams that Ford went with.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:14 AM   #29

rust in gutters

Hello All, Thanks for the detailed information here in this post. I've done a paint/rust removal once 5 years ago with our trusted shop, but it didn't involve removing the bondo at the gutter-roof joint. The rust has creeped back again and I wanted to better treat it.

I just wanted clarification on how it would work if I did some of this prep on my own and then took to our shop to paint.
1) Remove existing paint on roof side
2) remove bondo at joint.
3) remove paint on gutter
4) sand/treat rust with one of the products mentioned in this post
5) prime paint metal if the rust treatment isn't also a primer.

My question now is what is the order of reapplying things to finish:
5) Paint Gutter and roof area with paint and heavy clear coat
6) apply 3M 5200 to joint area between gutter and roof.

Not sure if it should be this order above, or:

a) rust treat/prime metal
b) apply 3m 5200 to joint area between gutter and roof, then
c) paint gutter/roof are with paint and heavy clear coat.

Any input from the experienced folks on this forum would help a ton to help me determine order of operations and how much I would do myself vs have the shop do maybe.
fddjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #30

What I did was remove as much rust as possible down to bare metal..

Then I treated the bare metal with ospho. I then coated this area with marine epoxy and right after it set up, there's a time window depending how long it takes to cure, applied thickened marine epoxy to completely fill the gutter as to not trap any water.

Mine was bad where some parts of the gutter were completely gone. But the new owner hasn't complained about any issues so its survived this long.

I replaced that cummins van with a 97 dodge 12 valve truck, but I miss it.