Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #11

Any advice on that process!?

KyleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #12

Garage
Honestly, not without seeing exactly what you are talking about, it is hard to make specific recommendations.

If the rust extends under the white gunk, I'd probably use a sanding disk, something like this. These are good for sanding/grinding on rusty steel and material removal.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-9099DCNA-L...8-6&ref=sr_1_6

Or a wire wheel like this. These can be a little weak on rust removal, but are good for cleaning up metal and material removal.
https://www.amazon.com/Forney-72733-...24&ref=sr_1_24

I've also used these types as well for rust removal and grinding:
https://www.amazon.com/Forney-60053-...8-3&ref=sr_1_3

https://www.amazon.com/Forney-60028-...8-4&ref=sr_1_4
Old 11-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #13

Almost like the current project I'm running, mine is not so bad although I do have leaks up at the front area. I never felt any moisture or drip, all I really was going to do was replace the carpet (since that was about 6-10 yrs old). I did find water damage along the rear window areas, I replaced those window seals and all was good and dry. As I was working closer to the roof, I saw slight rust on the rails, sanded and primed...all good until it happened to rain and even then I didn't see any leaks inside if it wasn't for me turning a sharp right-hand corner I would have never known. As I'm turning here comes this gush of water straight into the passenger seat up front, I thought I had imagined it inside and that it must have been from the outside rain. The leak never replicated under a carwash or rainy situation, only if I had collected water on the rail and was in a deep corner turn. I sanded it all down (entire roof but not to bare metal, just followed Chassis Saver recommendations), painted it all with Chassis Saver (it adheres well to rusted surfaces), and rolled some Monstaliner for good measure! I kept that front interior all bare just waiting for a strong storm to confirm if the Chassis Saver had done its job on the front leaks. I used the same process last year when doing the whole interior patch job, there I also used Metal-to-Metal for the larger holes and that does require bare metal spot grind (I used a Dremel) and most of the floor holes were nickel sized and smaller except for a rear wheelwell rip along the floor due to window seal leaks.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #14

In the windshield corner if you lift the gasket does the metal surface have all rust removed and was it treated? How and with what? If you cannot see that, and it certainly isn't obvious in the picture, that needs to be addressed. Going back and showing it to the installer should result in removal of windshield to properly address or a good explanation backed up by the observation of the treated area under the gasket corner.......As stated before, this is not something to tiptoe around...
Do not be afraid to dig in as stated by the contributors above....If you just dust it off and coat it later it will reappear much worse....
Cheers
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #15

Yeah, after talking to three liner shops in town. I am meeting a body guy next week to hopefully reapir and spray the liner.
I will look at the corner after this rain stops and see if I can see rust or evidence of primer/repair
Old 11-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #16

Still dripping, dang..
Old 11-05-2018, 05:18 AM   #17

Garage
Sorry to hear that, good luck/much success on the repair. Obviously, and as mentioned, you will want to repair the windshield area well so you don't have to do it again.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #18

After further planning, we are going to have the van dropped of at a body shop and the windsheild removed. After removal, he will propperly repair the areas while prepping and spraying the roof and rails with the liner. After completion the windshield will go back in! Hopefully never to see the drip again
Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Replacing the windshield regardless how many times does not address whether the body joint in that area has not cracked or split apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleC View Post
After further planning, we are going to have the van dropped of at a body shop and the windsheild removed. After removal, he will propperly repair the areas while prepping and spraying the roof and rails with the liner. After completion the windshield will go back in! Hopefully never to see the drip again

Did this work for you? Was your body joint cracked as JWA mentions? What did the shop do to fix it?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:40 PM   #20

I dropped the ball on this one! Our play money ran out before the projects! Unfortunately I have not taken the windshield back out and have not yet done the roof repair! I still plan on having the windshield removed and fixing it properly, I just might have to eat the cost!