Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Side door 2007 Ford E350 works loose on bumpy roads

HI,
I'm the new owner of a 2007 RB Ford E350 van. The side door that closes first is a bit hard to close, and one needs to help it out with a hand on the top of the door to make the latch secure, and then the other door closes.

On paved roads both doors stay closed. However on a bumpy road the first door seems to be working its way loose.

I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust the latching mechanism (at the top of the door or the van frame) to keep this from happening. Maybe this is a known issue? Or maybe another adjustment?

Any hints or ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Stephanie

catinmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #2

Re: Side door 2007 Ford E350 works loose on bumpy roads

Stephanie,

Here are a couple of threads that may help:
Doors out of adjustment
Door Latch

Cheers,
Brent
Old 04-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

This may sound counter intuitive, but spray the latch on the top of the door with WD-40, or a silicone spray, until it's drippy wet. Then slam it from the top and that should fix it. And it should stay fixed until it needs to be lubed again ... maybe never.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

Remember, there are no stupid questions so here goes...

Just to make sure I have the correct terminology (and lube the right thing) --the LATCH is the mechanism in the very top of the door that moves to grab onto the metal strike (not sure what it is really called) that is in the body of the truck.

Yes? So that is what I can try to lube?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #5

Correct. The moving stuff actually in the door.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #6

OK, I lubed the latch today at it SEEMED to hold on a not too long bumpy road trip. I think I will give it another shot tomorrow for good measure (I didn't over-lube) and see how that works.

thanks for the suggestions. If that works its way loose I will shout out again.

Stephanie (catinmoon) ^^
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

In the event this door works itself loose again check the Torx headed bolts holding the latches to the door shells---those have been known to come loose or fall out which could cause them to lose their hold on the strikes (body mounted catches.)

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #8

My side door latches, but the door still rattles when I hit bumps/potholes in the road. Its pretty annoying since its almost constant. Is there something I can adjust to make the door close tighter against the body?

When the "40" door is closed, I can grab it and move it. On my other van (SMB), the door is solid when it is closed.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Maybe time for a quick door latch tutorial?

Hinged side doors of Ford E-Series van have various names; barn doors, 60/40, front/rear, etc etc. What we call them isn't an issue, distinguishing them from the sliding door option is though. This will address only the hinged side doors, in this instance I'll refer to them as 40% or 60%---following photo should be helpful:

The 40% door is most important because it preforms the bigger part of latching both doors to the body. There is both an upper and lower strike bolted to the body which the door shell mounted latches catch shown here:

The 60% door has just one latch, the 40% door holds the strike, shown here:

Because the 40% does most if its work with the door shell mounted latches, shown here:

Pay close attention to the latch shown in 40% Top above, especially the Torx drive flange attaching screws. The upper screw has worked itself loose, its lower counterpart will follow suit soon after. When/if either of these become loose the 40% door cannot firmly latch the door shell to the body and allow door seals to do their job.

Additionally the lowest latch of the 40% door can experience this same thing. Periodically check these fasteners---tighten if loose. I also recommend proper use of a thread sealant such as Loctite 290 (green) which is low strength, easily removable if necessary.

Typically the strikes do not become loose over time. Because the action between door latches and strikes is what seals the doors to the body carefully maintaining the latches themselves will maintain relatively tight doors.

In some cases door hinges or the strikes may need adjusting but that's a topic for another day and time.

I hope this is somewhat helpful, adds something to this thread.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #10

After loosening the torx bolts on the strike and on the latch, I found that there is no adjustment in terms of placement of them. Where they bolt in is where they will be. I ended up just adding some electrical tape around the strike to eliminate the metal/metal contact and it has noticeably reduced the rattles. Its a temporary band aid, but its making driving the van much more pleasant.