Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #21

We live in Montana with a 4x4 E350.

In winter we have studded tires for our van, especially for Yellowstone (Gardiner - Cooke City) where the road is almost always snow packed, icy, with some steep slopes. Here I feel nervous not having studded tires with the heavy vehicle and I also keep it in 4x4 in the park. We have not needed chains yet, but I do carry them.

Most highways in the region are fine, unless there has been a recent snow storm and the main highways are snow packed and icy too.

My advice, regardless of 4x4, studded tires, or chains:

Most people get into trouble when they drive too far to the right... not everything that is snow plowed has pavement underneath... when the right tires go off pavement you typically end up in the snow bank.

Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #22

I've never had to use them but I keep a set of these in car in the winter because I've been asked to show I had a set to troopers in the past.

https://www.rud.com/en/products/tyre...c-classic.html
dosmena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #23

I picked some up after moving to Seattle (partially because I only have 2WD, partially because chains are often required on the passes in this area). These are the ones I bought. I ended up finding somebody selling them on Craigslist in my area, but I would highly recommend them. Be sure to find the right model for your tire size. After you become used to them, they'll take ~5 minutes to get 2x on. I've watched a lot of other people struggle to put on other "easy" chains.

Amazon link
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
For passenger vehicles, really? I had no idea. I thought that was only commercial vehicles.
Yes even in California it is the law as well as 25-30 MPH with snow on the ground in mountainous areas, not S.R,'s.! No chains you are turned back. It is safety for all but mainly for those that want to be safe and carry chains as opposed to those that want to risk the chain carriers lives by not having chains! I am well in favor of carrying chains for your well being as of mine!
As far as what brand whatever you can afford. I like P-Wags myself!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #25

As always a wealth of information that is readily shared - thank you. Ended up with diamond style chains by Konig. Did a trial fit and they went on very easily. Will need something to kneel on though as there is no way around getting on the knees to get the chains put on.
GVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:01 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage
I have a set of a real chain chains I have not used that fit a 33/35 tire if anyone needs

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVan View Post
As always a wealth of information that is readily shared - thank you. Ended up with diamond style chains by Konig. Did a trial fit and they went on very easily. Will need something to kneel on though as there is no way around getting on the knees to get the chains put on.
Best trick for mounting chains: cut a 2x4 piece of wood as long or a little shorter than the width of your tires. Lay your chains out in the proper way with the 2x4 about a third of the way in one of the squares in the length of your chains. Pull up onto the 2x4. Pull your chains up and over and connect the inside then the outside after having wiggled them back and forth to fit tight. Use a couple rubber bungee cords or one long one and weave it back and forth on the side of your cains making a star like pattern. You will be able to drive from here to Colorado without any further adjustment!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote