Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2022, 09:18 AM   #1

Garage
Spare Fuel Cans

As a result of the 4wd conversion last summer, my gas tank was shortened to make room for the transfer case. The double whammy is, I have less fuel and less fuel economy. I was going to mount a couple 20L Wavian fuel cans on top of my Aluminess box, but the combination of the lift and the height if the canister mounts, there is no way I could get the cans down. My other option is to carry the shorter plastic fuel cans on my box, but not sure that would be safe or legal.

I did a search on the forum, but came up blank. What do you all do for spare fuel? I'd rather not spend another $5k for an extended tank.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2022, 09:55 AM   #2

Can you mount a Rotopax to the side of the Aluminess box?

I think I've also seen people mount Rotopax to the spare tire, if you have a tire carrier on the rear. The vanagon folks sometimes mount their Rotopax to a metal panel that's mounted on the side of their van (covering the side window).
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:08 AM   #3

Diesel or gas Van??

Extended or Regular body?
Old 02-15-2022, 11:50 AM   #4

Garage
From the Profile pic & another Thread it looks to be an extended 5.4, So I'd ask 2 questions:
1. Is the rear tire still under the van? and if not, do you have an underfloor storage box mounted in its place?
2. Do you have space available along the outsides of the frame rails?
Old 02-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
Site Team

On the subject of extra containers, I'd go with Scepter Military Fuel Cans (MFC) over metal jerry cans. That said, each gallon of gas is about 6 pounds, and each gallon of diesel is about 7 pounds, so adding that weight to your Aluminess swingarms can be of some concern. Make sure the swingarm is very secure, and also consider how you will safeguard your fuel and fuel cans from being from being stolen.

Herb
Old 02-15-2022, 01:18 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
... I was going to mount a couple 20L Wavian fuel cans on top of my Aluminess box, but the combination of the lift and the height if the canister mounts, there is no way I could get the cans down.
I'm assuming you are looking for an avenue that would net 10+ gallons or more of fuel storage.
A while back I came across a picture (may have been on Pinterest) of a Van with the rear Aluminess bumper that had both swing arms (tire & box), but they had the Aluminess fuel storage box on the bottom with the small Aluminess lock box mounted on the top of it. This alone would make handling the fuel containers easier for you.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:18 PM   #7

Garage
Moroccan_mn, Thanks for the response. I could install a rotopax, but looking at their site, it appears the largest I could get to mount would be 4 gallons. I need more than that.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:22 PM   #8

Garage
Hey 1der, the super sleuth, Twoxentrix, is correct, 5.4L, EB. I didn't this that was relevant. He is also correct in that the spare is mounted on the bumper, so no spare or storage box underneath.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:27 PM   #9

Garage
Hey Herb, Yes, the weight is a consideration, which is why I didn't go with 3 cans. I think the max weight the Aluminess Deluxe box van handle is 100 or 125 pounds. The heaviest thing I have in there, now, is my tool roll which I plan on swapping out with recovery gear that's currently in the bumper storage. Otherwise, the box has a small compressor, boxes with miscellaneous Haupt parts and camping supplies (~5 pounds each), and an ammo box with a quart of oil, and some lubricants. It should be ok.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:41 PM   #10

Cool. So you have some options:
There is the space where the spare tire was located but there is also a space between the frame cross member that is at the forward end ic the OEM spare tire location and the back of the differential, IF the holding tank (or battery or ??) is not mounted there already. This location was where SMB installed the TransferFlow add a tank back in the day.

You might be able to source an aux tank w transfer pump. Aerotanks.com may have something that would work. Issue w gas tank these days is air quality restrictions.

Pursuing this thread may provide some solutions as well:
https://www.thedieselstop.com/thread...50-van.218665/