Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #1

Spare tire in factory location

My 2002 E350 came without a jack ,book or anything and I gotta get my spare tire down from underneath. It looks like a hole in the bumper lines up with the tire raising mechanism but a factory looking plate is behind the bumper blocking the hole. I'm sure I need a rod or something to crank it down but I'm I missing another acess point to get to somthing? Does anybody have an extra factory rod they don't use?

Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #2

Re: Spare tire in factory location

The bolt that secures the factory Ford "security" plate that must be removed, is accessible when the driver side rear door is opened. You can use the "hubcap pry-bar end" of the factory Ford lug wrench, or the jack crank handle to then lower the spare. If you have to improvise, you'll need something like a large screwdriver with a shank at least 20" or so long. The internal reciever for the spare tire carrier mechanism is slotted.

I hope this helps.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #3

When I got rid of my OEM jack, I also tossed out the jack crank handle...duh. You need it to get that tire down. You can order a replacement from Ford....as I did.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #4

Thanks. I'll remove that pesky security plate and fab up a crank. Cool ....somthing easy that even I can fab up!

Edit: I got it down and removed the plastic guide funnel for the crank to look/see. All I needed was a 1/2" round bar stock with the end ground square. I put a 90 degree bend in the other end for a handle.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote