Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2022, 02:59 PM   #1

Spring recommendations?

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker. I've got a custom converted E250 EB with 330k miles badly in need of new springs (sagging). Weight is around 7500 lbs fully loaded. The existing rear springs are the ID "R" Ford springs. They appear to be 3/1.

I would like a bit of an upgrade over stock without going too far and getting a harsh ride.

Any suggestions? I found one thread here from BriWas who went with a 4/1 spring from ATS, but not sure what those were rated at.

I'm thinking of trying the 4/1 from someplace like SD truck springs or General Springs. They list the weight at 2750 lbs. Is this an improvement over stock "R" springs? I'm struggling to find what the OE springs are rated at. If it's not an improvement, maybe I should just go to a junk yard and get some fresher springs off an E25o with less miles.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...oducts_id=1560

Thanks for any assistance!

EricI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:47 PM   #2
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Funny, thought you were wanting some suggestions on a "Spring" trip and were planning now...lol. I was going to suggest no mountains (Rockies) for snow on passes etc... so east coast/FLA/Gulf coast...as Rosanne Rosanna Danna would say, "Nevermind"
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:32 PM   #3

Spring recommendations?

Those ATS springs I put on my old van that you referenced were uprated from my stock E250 springs a good bit, although I don’t recall exactly the number and I no longer have the paperwork. The van weighed 8500#
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:38 AM   #4

Yeah I regret not naming the thread "leaf spring recommendations."

Thanks Brian! Do you recall what the stock springs were? Were they the 3/1 ID "R" springs? (The door sticker on my van says LLRR, meaning the rear springs are "R" capacity.)

Is this the spring you got? LINK

Additional question, do the shackles need to be replaced too?
Old 08-26-2022, 08:49 AM   #5

Garage
I put Deavers on mine and love the ride. My sag and lift blocks are gone.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:49 PM   #6

Spring recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricI View Post
Yeah I regret not naming the thread "leaf spring recommendations."

Thanks Brian! Do you recall what the stock springs were? Were they the 3/1 ID "R" springs? (The door sticker on my van says LLRR, meaning the rear springs are "R" capacity.)

Is this the spring you got? LINK

Additional question, do the shackles need to be replaced too?

I honestly don’t remember. I’m local to them and just bought what they recommended when I took my van there. I got all new hardware including shackles, u-bolts, etc. They weren’t fancy deavers but the ride improved noticeably.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #7

Okay, thanks Brian. I think I'll give them a call.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:50 PM   #8

I corresponded with Devin at SD trucks today, he was incredibly helpful. He said my van should have 4/1 springs, given the ID "R" code. The fact that it doesn't had him suspecting that someone removed a leaf at some point to soften the ride. This doesn't help the already sagging rear springs any.

Based on the weight of my van (4300 lbs rear, 3200 front) he recommended buying another set of 4/1. This should more than handle the weight in the rear and also add a leaf.

I'm thinking about checking some junk yards to see if I can get a fresher set of 4/1 before buying them new.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:22 AM   #9

Did you end up replacing your leaf springs? I'm looking at the 43-1041 you linked to above for my e-250 highroof. My stock 3/1 springs are sagging bad and one leaf is broken.
Wickedwagens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 04:56 PM   #10

Not yet, sadly. Still sagging away back there. Had too much else going on.

I found some 43-1041 from Beattie Spring for the best price including shipping to my area. Depending where you are, SD trucks or ATS might be cheaper for you depending on the shipping costs.