Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Or consider Thermozite for insulation of the walls/ceiling.
I’ve heard thinsulate is a great option too.

Brawwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawwp View Post
I’ve heard thinsulate is a great option too.
Good insulation thread:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...one-25615.html
Old 07-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Here are a few pics of the interior leaving the plastic 99% intact.

You can see a hint of one of the relocated rear AC vents in the last photo. I installed 3 of those factory vents in the top of that rear cabinet.

Thanks for posting pics, your rig looks great.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #14

Hello,

I have done that exact thing. You can watch the tour video and the 50+ videos here:
ianskelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskelley View Post
Hello,

I have done that exact thing. You can watch the tour video and the 50+ videos here:
Such a nice setup! I like that couch/bed. I will be doing the same in mine if I can find something similar
Brawwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #16

You will have to modify the AC compressor. Cost about 2k. I stripped mine and removed the rear AC as I do not spend time inside, just to sleep and you don't sleep with the engine running. This is my second van I stripped and it is a piece of cake. .
93543hollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Why do you want to strip out the rear HVAC?

We looked hard and long to find a cargo van WITH factory rear HVAC and would not consider any van that did not have it.
Do you sleep or cook with the engine running?
93543hollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93543hollander View Post
Do you sleep or cook with the engine running?
No, I do not. But when I am driving for six plus hours and it is 100 degrees out and I want the interior cooled off it is REALLY nice to have the rear AC handling the rear area part of the van and not have the coldest air possible only coming out of the dash right in my face.

And when it is zero degrees out and we are driving into a campsite we arrive the the interior nicely warmed up throughout without frying ourselves trying to heat the back of the van past us.

The balance of managing environmental temperatures with low fan settings because the conditioned air is distributed via two locations 12 feet apart is pretty logical.

Seriously, what are you really gaining by removing a truly functional HVAC unit mounted at the rear corner of the van? Maybe 1.5 cu ft of usable space? If you put a cabinet, bed, bench seat in that area it has negligible impact.

Rear HVAC is easy to pull out and a nightmare to rein$tall.

Your situation may warrant no need for rear HVAC but most people are traveling through serious temperature ranges. One trip to Baja for a month or through Portland at 116 deg and a person will be glad they have the rear sources for HVAC. Spend 10 weeks skiing out of your van never seeing temps above 30F and the benefits of the rear HVAC will be greatly appreciated over the small amount of mostly unusable space one gains by removing the rear HVAC.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #19

I can't agree with this post enough ^^^^^. If you love vans and don't want rear AC then do the world a huge favor and sell the van to someone who wants rear AC but doesn't have it, then buy yourself a van without it (easy to find). You won't really profit much from this but if there is a heaven you'll have box seats.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:57 PM   #20

With a combined 11,600 posts and multiple vans under their belts, I think I would trust Eric and Ray’s wisdom here.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote