Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 11:42 PM   #1

Swap 99 E150 body onto 92 E350 frame

Hi all. First ever post.

I have 2 Ford vans (1992 E350 with Quigley 4x4 conversion with an upgraded Ujoint suspension and a 1999 E150) and am looking for some advice and guidance on the possibility of putting the 99 body on the 92 frame.

I have a couple of questions for anyone who may have already attempted such a thing...
- is it possible due to the generation differences between the model years? From my understanding, the body and frames should be identical, however what about the electronics? I have a 460 in the 92 and a 5.4 l in the 99.
- Is it a difficult task? How long could I expect it to take?
- Are there any major issues to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing about your experience!

Chubbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:33 AM   #2

You'll have to swap the dashes, and the dash wiring harnesses in the dash and under the hood (it's all attached to the windshield cowling and fenders). From the B-pillars back, wiring will the the same until the taillights.

BTW - the frames are not quite the same, as that E350 will have taller and thicker frame rails. But, the bodies are the same and mount the same.

You might want to figure out how your state handles body swaps. If you have to register is using the '99 VIN, then have to pass emissions testing, there's no way the 460 will pass the requirements that the '99 meets.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:43 AM   #3

Garage
Would it not be easier....
....to just swap the Quigley 4WD system/axles and UJoint suspension to the newer van?

Whatever compatibility issues you might run into with that approach seems like they’d be wayyyy less complicated than a body and engine swap.....

(*I admit that I am making this suggestion without knowing some important other details...as in, why are you making the swap? What’s wrong with the ‘92 van’s body? Are you planning on keeping the 460 engine installed, or were you envisioning the newer 5.4 engine also getting swapped over to the ‘92 chassis?)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote