Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #1

Tires, transmission, tuneup Qs

Hi All,

I joined your forum a few years ago when I bought my 04, FordE250, EB, 5.4L Sportsmobile. It's my Grandma explorer fun time. Love the van and get lots of complements!

I'm planning on going on another long trip soon and would like to see if there is something more I could do to prolong the life and health of the van. I want to treat it right! Please share your expertise on these questions.

Tire Pressure - It weighs in at 8200 and I'm getting lots of different input on tire pressures. 60 front and 80 rear is what I aim for, but tire places all vary on what they think is correct. Stock tires, nothing fancy. They took me all the way up the Dempster Hwy, NWT, and back to California. 2wd Mostly hwy driving and graded dirt.

Transmission - Last oil change they said the van is overdue for a transmission flush. 77,000 miles on the odometer.

Tune up - I read on the forum about a 5 star tune. Even with a google search I'm not clear on what that is. Would my van profit from that? Is there a trustworthy shop in the Bay Area?

Oil - It burns about a half a quart between regular oil changes. Normal?

Thanks,
Maria
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2270.jpg  

Mariasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #2

5 star is hot rod tuner stuff as far as your purposes are concerned, what you want is to put your 5.4 v8 SMB on a good, solid maintenance program, void of coupon clipping 'specials' that get you in the door, then comes the upsell.

I'd recommend finding a trustworthy local (to you) shop to go over your van before hitting the road. Engine and trans oil change using high quality wix or motorcraft (Ford) filters, a new serpentine belt, change out any soft radiator or cooling system hoses. Same with the tires, pay for a tire rotation at a recommended local shop, have them read the sidewalls of your tires, and the door sticker, and make a recommendation on pressures, that you keep in your maintenance log.

I don't care for the oil changers outfits, who are always pushing the "Transmission flush". Your owners manual will probably tell you the trans oil and it's filter need to be changed at 70k miles. Usually those flush services involve swapping out most of the fluid by pumping the old oil out the dipstick tube, but not dropping the trans' oil pan to gain access to it's filter, for a change, which is a mistake. But it cost less! They also won't change the oil in the torque converter, which holds up to 3 qts.

I hope that helps
Old 01-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #3

Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Bay Area? Marin?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Tom's advice is pretty spot on, the only point I disagree with is the full transmission fluid exchange or flush as its generally called. Far from being snake oil or an upsell by the typical unscrupulous quickie oil change outfits its highly recommended by nearly every transmission service guy/girl or outfit worth their salt.

Here's a link to my own DIY fluid flush, most important fact in my opening thread is the link to Mark Kolvolsky who is the resident de facto transmission expert on FTEL https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ans-flush.html He's a former Ford Motor Company transmission engineer who for a short time also ran his own service business. Not too many know Ford transmissions as well as he, especially those that would be in your van.

I do agree with the recommendation your van @ 77K miles would be a great candidate for this fluid swap. If you're not comfortable with the DIY aspect please please make sure whatever shop you do choose agrees to using a fluid that's spec'd to Mercon V (5)---too many run a generic fluid type but with an additive claim its a perfect replacement for bona fide Mercon V. I have no evidence that sort of practice isn't worthy but I'd rather spend a bit more to make sure I'm running the good stuff.

BTW the DIY method does exchange the fluid in the torque converter---that's just one reason this process takes up to 18 quarts.

If you go that route demanding the spec'd fluid you can offer to bring your own---believe it or not talking with the local Ford dealer parts department might get you quarts for just at $5 each which is a really good price.

The first time out with this you would have the filter changed, pan gasket is reusable so make sure they don't charge you for that. At the next 50-60K miles you'd do this again but there's no need to change the filter as its engineered to last the full life of the transmission.

That's my experience and opinion--hope it's helpful.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariasola View Post
Hi All,

Tire Pressure - It weighs in at 8200 and I'm getting lots of different input on tire pressures. 60 front and 80 rear is what I aim for, but tire places all vary on what they think is correct.

Tune up - I read on the forum about a 5 star tune. Even with a google search I'm not clear on what that is. Would my van profit from that?

Oil - It burns about a half a quart between regular oil changes. Normal?

Thanks,
Maria
In general, if your near the max load rating of the tire, you should be close to the max inflation pressure. Here's some good info on tire's and pressure,

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...res-10204.html

As mentioned, the 5 star tune is generally a performance modification. It uses a device that plugs into your electrical system and modify's the operating system of your engine and transmission. You should be fine without it, but it can improve things like towing, or engine performance.

Burning half a quart of oil between changes is fine.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #6

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #7

Agree with JWA on the flush. You are a little later than Mark K and others recommend so definitely do it, and for tire pressure, after two sportsmobiles 80 50, which is consistent with Sportsmobile recommendations. If on gravel or offroad, let some air out....Lots of discussions here if you search.
As far a 5 star is concerned, go for it, but the 5.4 is so engineered, stock with good replacement maintenance has worked well for millions of people....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
Orv

Garage
For tire pressure, I'd look for a sticker on the door jamb giving the recommended pressures. Those would be the place to start. The main reason to diverge from those would be if you'd fitted tires of a different size or load range.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #9

Not sure in the Bay Area where you are, but if you are anywhere in the South Bay I highly recommend Jacoby's Auto. Ron Jacoby is experienced, honest, and thorough and willing to talk things through with you. I've taken many vehicles to him over the years for all sorts of things and have never had any problems or issues.

Eric W.