Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #1

TorkLift StableLoad or Hellwig Rear Sway Bar

Looking to better stabilize the road handling characteristics of my 2008 SMB. I initially planned to make a trip south to Southern California during a vacation and have a suspension upgrade while there, but the trip has been cancelled. One of the things I wanted to do is have a rear sway bar installed. Recently, I checked on doing this at a local shop and they recommended that I use StableLoad instead of a Hellwig Rear Sway Bar. I would appreciate comments from the members on this subject.

James

James4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #2

Garage
Will your van have a suspension lift as well?
If so, how much?

And is your van an RB (standard length) or EB (extended length?)

Is your van 2WD or 4WD?
(And if 4WD....which front axle setup will yours have?)

These will all affect your choices.
Also, I've read you want to be sure to have a front stabilizer if you are running a rear one.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #3

Hello Mike T. Thanks for the reply.

No, not looking to have it lifted. It is the RB 2WD. I've read that I might experience some understeer, and should that be the case the front stabilizer you mention might be the answer.

The gent I spoke with in California was going to put the sway bar on for me, and then test drive it to see if it needed further attention...maybe in the way of springs, and maybe in the way of a front stabilizer, but I do not recall discussing that with him, specifically.

Have you ever heard about StableLoad?:

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...t/TLA7311.html

James
Old 11-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #4

IMO skip the stable loads. They engage the overload springs full time, and they're too stiff to be civilized. I have airbags AND Sumosprings, so I can stay off the overloads no matter how overloaded.

Rear sway is a great upgrade however.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

Garage
Okay good info.

I'm going to poke a bit further here --
Q: What's truly driving your desire to look into installing a rear sway bar --- ?

Is it based on actual dissatisfaction with the way your van drives for you....or is it based on a mechanic recommending one to you....due to an opinion he has that you might need one?

I'm not sure about the understeer you're mentioning (which is usually the most desirable/neutral/safe handling characteristic to have), but a lot of the E-series vans are noted to exhibit potentially-unstable "wagging tail" behavior at speed on the highway, if a certain number of conditions are present. (Rear end swaying around.)

A rear sway bar *can* help with this.
Also of possible aid:
* stiffer rear springs
* better rear shocks
* a quality tire, often with stiffer sidewalls and more linear tread design)

Additionally, if your van has a not-uncommon-for-the-E-series narrow rear axle, where the track width is less than the front track width....then the installation of a **quality** set of rear wheel spacers can improve stability substantially. (Widens the rear track to match the front.....it becomes more resistant to swaying/lateral load-transfer.)

Paying careful attention to tire pressures front/rear is important too, they can have a huge impact on handling/stability.

Lastly there are steering stabilizers which can absolutely help improve highway stability in many instances, but which are viewed by many as a "band aid" fix versus an actual remedy to steering issues. It is of use to note that Ford actually installed OEM factory steering stabilizers on the E-450 and larger commercial versions of Econoline chassis vehicles, so the engineers in Detroit also clearly agree as to their application-specific value on heavily-loaded versions of this platform.

Edit: just saw that Carringb already chimed in --- he's the man. His opinion is one of the most-considered and experience-backed on the forum.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
IMO skip the stable loads. They engage the overload springs full time, and they're too stiff to be civilized. I have airbags AND Sumosprings, so I can stay off the overloads no matter how overloaded.

Rear sway is a great upgrade however.
carringb, thanks! That is the kind of information I was looking to get! Note about rear sway bar appreciated too!

James
Old 11-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #7

Your van should already have a front sway-bar. With the front sway bar only, and no rear sway bar, the vans can understeer. But most drivers don't cope well with over-steer, so that's why pretty much all non-performance cars are setup with understeer.

But to maintain a more neutral balance, roll stiffness bias front to rear should approximately match weight bias. Once a camper van is built out, especially EB models, weight bias moves WAY back, and that's where a rear sway bar is really beneficial. Besides restoring neutral roll stiffness, it also reduces body roll, and the Econolines have inherent bump-steer, so body-roll = wander. But so can lack of camber, or worn ball joint...
Old 11-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #8

Looking to get better handling, and the sway bar was recommended by a gent in California. The stiffer rear springs was in this same conversation too, should they be needed after adding the sway bar. Shocks are okay and I have held off on buying new Michelins, but I am pretty much set on adding them, but maybe I should check into the stiffer sidewall and more linear tread design first. Thank you.

I'll have to check into the issue of track width on the axles as well. Again, thank you for this note plus the wheel spacer solution.

I was amazed at just how critical the right tire pressure could be on handling with this type of vehicle. Thanks to JoeH and some other good folks here, I have the tire pressure dialed in!

You're note about the importance of steering stablizers is well taken.

Many thanks, Mike!

James
Old 11-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

carringb, Thanks, again. Yes, it has a front sway bar. The front and rear weight on my van is about as even as it can get. However, the PowerTech Generator sits on the center-end of the vehicle, and I'm certain that I can get better handling once a rear sway bar is installed.

James
Old 11-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
tlg

Garage
James,
I don't know if Agile makes a RIP kit (add a leaf in rear/new springs up front/custom shocks) for a 2WD van but its worth asking if they do. We installed the RIP kit on our 4WD Quigley and removed the Helwig rear sway bar. It handles better and is exponentially safer. Worth the call.