Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #1

Voyager VS. Penthouse top if it's rainy and hot?

Newbie here, debating on whether to get Voyager vs. PH top. Opinions please?

Full-timing for a while, I may be in country for weeks or months where it can rain a lot or very hard rain. I'm sure the Voyager top must be preferable to the penthouse top in that respect. So I'm thinking that outweighs the penthouse having such good ventilation and its lower profile?

Being in warm/hot weather, I'd love the great ventilation in PH; however wouldn't it be kind of a pain if it's raining a lot? I suppose you always must get it dried out afterwards?, and worry about leaks or having to get up close windows?

As an extreme example, if you were in tropical jungle wouldn't the penthouse quickly get dampness or leaking problems from being wet a lot? As I said, newbie to SMB and unsure how well PH does in the rain. I'm sure PH could be fine or preferable other places.

Thanks!

jdv2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #2

Re: Voyager VS. Penthouse top if it's rainy and hot?

Our penthouse has been in lots of rain with out any problems. We did take the top down twice in very high winds, but rain was no problem.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #3

We can keep the upper part of the PH windows un-zipped when it rains, as the PH overhang doesn't let the rain in. The ventilation is very good also. Good luck on your decision!

Edie
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #4

Garage

I like to stand and look out the fully open PH windows when it rains. I always feel dry and happy unless it's one of those storms with horizontal rain. I'm in Southern California, so we treat rain like a national holiday.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #5

I allways wanted a pop top but found a deal on a voyager top. What I like about it is that it's lightly insulated so sun or cold does not heat and cool the van that much. It is very quiet inside and I gain a huge storage area just above the drivers and passengers head. The best thing is that it's allways up. Anytime I run out to the van to get anything or do anything I walk in and am standing up. Things I put on the top shelfs are allways in place and it's just great to allways have the conveinence and room. We stop at a rest stop and the wife is standing and making lunch in seconds and when we are ready to go we go. The reason I want I pop top is for off road use only but what I have found out west is that most of the trails the van will go on anyway are clear enough that I don't have to trim any branches to clear the top. It's a van not a jeep so trails I'm on are ussually the larger clear trails. Would I trade? Only if I was ordering a new one and was going to run 35's or 37's and plan to wheel my van harder than I do or I lived in an area with more brush and trees. With all the crap and weight in the van it's just not a 4wd like I'm used to so having the extra room of the voyager and all the quietness and soundproofing it's perfect for me. I never had a pop top and what I'm saying is my opinion based on my experiance and perception only. My gas milage seems to be as good or better than what I have heard and the size and weight of the van offset any wind resistance I should feel. Even in a cross breeze It's great. I think those tops have been in a wind tunnel for testing. So with the van being used as a camper being small compaired to an RV then I love my voyager but if you want to off road hard then the pop top is king. It offers somewhat lower center of gravity and clearance and is certainly the cool cats option. Everything else about it is a draw back compaired to the voyager.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #6

Thanks everyone; Very good comments. I should've mentioned, this is for a 2wd, not 4wd offroad. Though I'll do some national forest or dirt roads, don't need the poptop advantage for 4x4, so then it was a matter of concern about rain. I'm sure I'd love the popup in many places and times but I'm tending to agree with Stumpalump -- for my own circumstances that is -- unlike many of you doing more offroading.
jdv2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv2009
I'd love the great ventilation in PH
You can have sliding windows put into your fixed top so you can have plenty of ventilation, as well as the other benefits of a full, fixed height roof.

Plus, the attic fan option draws A LOT of air through.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote