Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2022, 08:19 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 63
Wanting to Add a power door lock button to rear door-96 Ford Club Wagon

Hi,*

I got a power door lock switch from the back door from a newer Econoline salvage yard van.
I'd like to wire it into my older 1996 Van which I'm guessing wasn't an option for it.
I'll have to cut a rectangular hole in the plastic door panel to slide in the switch w/spring retainers.
If I find another switch, I'd like to also add one to the barn side door.

The switch has 5 wires, 2-Black/white, Gray/yellow, Purple/gray dashes, and Blue.*

Has anyone by chance already done this?

Thank-you
__________________

jimtmcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
JWA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 3,636
Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I answered this to a degree on FTE.
__________________

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:09 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 63
Oh Yes I see, thank you!

It's on my winter's projects list now!

Take care
jimtmcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:44 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 63
BTW for the record, that switch has a sticker number on the side that says:
Delphi pn 28150780, then a barcode 078083170005.
Molded into it is fomoco part 9c2t-14b162-abw
The switch housing surround is gray in color with a black seesaw button.

The connector is labeled 5L1t-14963-abw

Oddly, I don't see this switch anywhere on the internet.
That's ok, my local salvage yard is always cheaper when I find it.
jimtmcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 9,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtmcdaniels View Post
BTW for the record, that switch has a sticker number on the side that says:
Delphi pn 28150780, then a barcode 078083170005.
Molded into it is fomoco part 9c2t-14b162-abw
The switch housing surround is gray in color with a black seesaw button.

The connector is labeled 5L1t-14963-abw

Oddly, I don't see this switch anywhere on the internet.
That's ok, my local salvage yard is always cheaper when I find it.
More and more E series parts are NLA (no longer available) from dealers. This is likely one since they don't make the vans anymore, just cutaways with no rear door. Salvage yards are likely the only hope.

Things like this are soon going to be more and more of a problem for E-series owners.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:15 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 63
Augh and it seems the, more valuable?, 15 passenger vans don't end up in the salvage yard as soon as the dominant cargo vans do.
jimtmcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:56 AM   #7
JWA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 3,636
Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtmcdaniels View Post
BTW for the record, that switch has a sticker number on the side that says:
Delphi pn 28150780, then a barcode 078083170005.
Molded into it is fomoco part 9c2t-14b162-abw
The switch housing surround is gray in color with a black seesaw button.

The connector is labeled 5L1t-14963-abw

Oddly, I don't see this switch anywhere on the internet.
That's ok, my local salvage yard is always cheaper when I find it.
In most cases with OEM parts numbers found on them are not usable part numbers, they're something else entirely different. In a few rare instances an attached sticker might be an actual part number, a quick Google search will show its not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
More and more E series parts are NLA (no longer available) from dealers. This is likely one since they don't make the vans anymore, just cutaways with no rear door. Salvage yards are likely the only hope.

Things like this are soon going to be more and more of a problem for E-series owners.
To a degree that's true especially as it relates to dealerships. Once the OEM part number can be found Motorcraft tends to have an equivalent part that is probably just left over items from the production lines.

For me typically I either look for the Motorcraft part or resort to eBay---someone somewhere almost always has such things up for sale. One might say I'm lazy and simply don't find tromping through scrap yards searching for something they don't have fun, interesting or typically all that productive.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Vanzila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Oregon South Coast
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtmcdaniels View Post
Hi,*

I got a power door lock switch from the back door from a newer Econoline salvage yard van.
I'd like to wire it into my older 1996 Van which I'm guessing wasn't an option for it.
I'll have to cut a rectangular hole in the plastic door panel to slide in the switch w/spring retainers.
If I find another switch, I'd like to also add one to the barn side door.

The switch has 5 wires, 2-Black/white, Gray/yellow, Purple/gray dashes, and Blue.*

Has anyone by chance already done this?

Thank-you
Yes it was an Option in 1996. mine has full Set of Door locks and Window controls on all doors. You should find all of the Wires you need in the door. But you will also need the Door Lock Module that Lived on the Driver Side wall be hide the Drives seat.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:37 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 63
Ok well I already have from new door locks and power windows on the front doors.
Just no lock switch on the barn door or the back door.
jimtmcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Vanzila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Oregon South Coast
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtmcdaniels View Post
Ok well I already have from new door locks and power windows on the front doors.
Just no lock switch on the barn door or the back door.
The wire loom should been in the Door Pillar then. Most where made as a Cargo van like mine so they door had no covering. Inside the Door Pillar you should find the connector that woudl have joined up with the Loom that passed through the Door and went to the Switch Block. But the van would have needed to have been built with the Interior Door Cover that included the Switches.. If you have the Lock actuators in the Door, and the Wiring for the Font doors there is no reason you cannot make it work.
__________________

Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Agnes

ranchero

Vanzilla

Glenn P.
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×