Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #1

Garage
Weight of OEM Rear Bumper vs. Aluminess

1998 E250

I'm considering installing the aluminess rear bumper + swing out tire carrier (maybe + swing out box) but am concerned about the extra weight. I can't find any weights on the Aluminess site and nothing, nowhere on the weight of the OEM rear bumper.

But, thankfully we have many wizards of knowledge on this site that probably already know. So, what is the weight difference between the OEM bumper and the Aluminess system?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #2

Paging @1der

Please go weigh your bumper. Inquiring minds need to know.

The bumper itself is about 60 pounds with no box or tire on it. I believe.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Paging @1der

Thanks, Grampswrx. The weight of the spare isn't an issue (if I understood your comment correctly), since it's there, already. But, with the SMB fully loaded, I'm about 300# under GVWR and would like to keep the weight down.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Paging @1der
Lol! No portable scale! You are right in the area though, I would guess Aluminess rear bumper is around maybe 70 lbs or a bit less w swing arms. I can pick it up and move it around by myself without straining. More awkward than heavy. Certainly WAY lighter than a bench seat !!

Stock non step OEM rear bumper is maybe 20 lbs lighter. A stock OEM step bumper is probably the same weight as the Aluminess.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks, 1der. I'm not worried about 20 LBS or even 50-100.

I appreciate the info.

What are your thoughts on leaving the stock bumper and adding the tire swing arm + swing box? Are there any advantages to adding them with the Aluminess bumper?

Thanks, again.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #6

Only plus of stock bumper plus adding the tire swing arm only - less $$ out of pocket initially (Because you will finally step up to the full bumper w swing arms as your build evolve$ )

If only going a 2WD w no lift and the desire is to add a basement box then the swing arm only solution is the way to go.

There is no close comparison to capability / capacity / functionality of the full bumper w swing arms. The side support bars, built in lockable storage compartment, flat step surface, protected reverse lights, and ability to add a bumper box with true ability to handle some weight (due to the wrap around side support bars) are what is gained.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #7

Garage
Excellent points, 1der. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Lol! No portable scale! You are right in the area though, I would guess Aluminess rear bumper is around maybe 70 lbs or a bit less w swing arms. I can pick it up and move it around by myself without straining. More awkward than heavy. Certainly WAY lighter than a bench seat !!

Stock non step OEM rear bumper is maybe 20 lbs lighter. A stock OEM step bumper is probably the same weight as the Aluminess.
But it desn’t matter how much a bench seat weighs- it’s gonna be awkward. They should be outlawed
Got my eye on a Buckstop bumper and Clinton there told me it is 285# with 1 swing arm as I recall. I do not have a full build so ok for me (+ e350 v10 loves hauling. Same MPG no matter what I’m doing )
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #9

Weight of Aluminiss rear bumper

Sportsmobile regularly installs this bumper with its large box and spare tire swing arm and that company is an authorized Mercedes upfitter so there should be no issue with the weight of the bumper. Sportsmobile, however, does not put the Aluminiss front bumper on because Mercedes will not permit them to do so. Someone told me that it was because a front bumper switch may compromise the functioning of the airbags but someone else recently told me that it was a weight issue with regard to the front axle.
Merton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #10

Garage
Thanks, Merton. That's good information.