Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #11

Re: Wheel spacer question

1. Don't buy cheap spacers off eBay, buy steel spacers from a reputable place like UJOINT (he's on here, PM him)

2. I've run spacers on my SF D60, no issues (yet)

3. I didn't have to cut or grind anything. Again buy from a reputable place, you're placing your lives and others in the hands of whoever makes the spacers.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
1. Don't buy cheap spacers off eBay, buy steel spacers from a reputable place like UJOINT (he's on here, PM him)

3. I didn't have to cut or grind anything. Again buy from a reputable place, you're placing your lives and others in the hands of whoever makes the spacers.
I bought my steel spacers from WheelAdapter.com made in the USA. Fred Goeske the owner of the company is very helpful and will answer any questions or concerns you may have. On his website he also has a lot of useful information and videos. I also think Chris at UJoint would have a quality product.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC

I bought my steel spacers from WheelAdapter.com made in the USA. Fred Goeske the owner of the company is very helpful and will answer any questions or concerns you may have. On his website he also has a lot of useful information and videos. I also think Chris at UJoint would have a quality product.
I think Chris uses Fred as his supplier.. Or at least did in the past.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I also used wheel adapter, 2" aluminum on Fred's recommendation, no issues. I also wouldn't go with an eBay spacer, questionable quality.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #15

Well there is the fellow who had his wheel fly off in one of the runs in CO at the SMB meet there...that was certainly dramatic, although of course anecdotal....

I haven't checked in a while, but has the availability of wheels with some more dish to obviate the need for spacers improved? IIRC there wasn't much available.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #16

I think that many (most) people are installing spacers for nothing more than aesthetic reasons so that the front and rear track widths are close. There are plenty of wheels to be had that have small enough backspacing to pretty much eliminate any chance of the rear tires rubbing, but then the fronts would stick out too far, or you'd have to run different offset wheels front and rear which is not a great option when it comes time for a tire rotation or using your spare.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ
I think that many (most) people are installing spacers for nothing more than aesthetic reasons so that the front and rear track widths are close. There are plenty of wheels to be had that have small enough backspacing to pretty much eliminate any chance of the rear tires rubbing, but then the fronts would stick out too far, or you'd have to run different offset wheels front and rear which is not a great option when it comes time for a tire rotation or using your spare.
I found that the spacers improved handling/steering.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #18

And another one. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5105
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #19

I can chime in here. About a few hundred miles into a trip into the Eastern Sierra I noticed some oil coming from the drivers side rear axle. Time for some new wheels bearings. Decide to get the work done in Lake Tahoe before I make the return to SoCal. The mechanic called me half way through the first day a said he has been working on trying to get the wheel spacer of for a few hours and if I knew any tricks. Told him I have never had to remove them before. He finally got it off and then placed a call to me asking me to come down to the shop. He showed me the axle and there was about a 1/4 to 1/2 groove cut into the axle where the wheel bearing sits. There was no way I way putting that thing back in. It was only a matter of time before it broke. So had to wait a few days for parts to show up and cost me a pretty penny.

I'm convinced the reason that groove was cut in that axle was because of the weight of these SMB couple with the rear spacers and big heavy tires is just to much for a semi-float rear end. I had about 100,000 miles at the time.

A few months later the right rear wheel bearing needed replaced. Thats when I decided to swap for a full float rear end I found at a dismanters from a cutway.

Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:30 AM   #20

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

The inner race for the wheel bearing is the axle shaft itself. If the bearing starts to fail it can break down the axle.

We were putting new gears (4.10) in a D60 Semi-floater on a SMB and found water in the housing. The cast differential carrier was all rusty as was the inside of the housing. On inspection of the axles we found that the bearing race surface on both axles was badly pitted and eroded.

We ended up scraping the whole axle assembly and replacing it with another.

I think water intrusion is the biggest culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outopawn
I can chime in here. About a few hundred miles into a trip into the Eastern Sierra I noticed some oil coming from the drivers side rear axle. Time for some new wheels bearings. Decide to get the work done in Lake Tahoe before I make the return to SoCal. The mechanic called me half way through the first day a said he has been working on trying to get the wheel spacer of for a few hours and if I knew any tricks. Told him I have never had to remove them before. He finally got it off and then placed a call to me asking me to come down to the shop. He showed me the axle and there was about a 1/4 to 1/2 groove cut into the axle where the wheel bearing sits. There was no way I way putting that thing back in. It was only a matter of time before it broke. So had to wait a few days for parts to show up and cost me a pretty penny.

I'm convinced the reason that groove was cut in that axle was because of the weight of these SMB couple with the rear spacers and big heavy tires is just to much for a semi-float rear end. I had about 100,000 miles at the time.

A few months later the right rear wheel bearing needed replaced. Thats when I decided to swap for a full float rear end I found at a dismanters from a cutway.

Steve

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote