RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #21
JWA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 3,169
Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Would UV be an issue on the underside of the van?
Not to any significance. Remember I said UV doesn't affect POR-15 in any way other than appearance, a color shift from its as first applied hue.
__________________

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 61
Ok-- that's great. My draft plan will be to treat with POR-15 the bare / beginning to rust spots, and then consider spraying with fluid film on an ongoing basis.

Follow-up questions:
1. Any experience with whether I should coat over frame paint that's in decent condition with POR-15? (The vehicle is only 7 years old) If I don't, it'll be subject to bad things happening to it on a different schedule than treated parts I'll treat now.

2. Any opinions on attempting to replace bolts with stainless, or at least replace with the appropriate grade steel and treat the heads? Bolt heads seem to be the first to go, and I've removed some seat bolts (not on the van) that were almost gone.
__________________

scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #23
Orv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 464
Garage
If the underside of the van is seeing significant UV exposure you may need to re-evaluate your driving style.
__________________
N8SRE
1990 E-250 Sportsmobile w/ penthouse top, converted when new by SMB Texas.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #24
Orv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 464
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
2. Any opinions on attempting to replace bolts with stainless, or at least replace with the appropriate grade steel and treat the heads? Bolt heads seem to be the first to go, and I've removed some seat bolts (not on the van) that were almost gone.

Stainless might be overkill, and for some applications might not be strong enough. I would definitely use anti-seize on anything you remove/replace, though. Painting the heads can't hurt but in my experience the bolts rusting in place and becoming impossible to remove is a much bigger problem.
__________________
N8SRE
1990 E-250 Sportsmobile w/ penthouse top, converted when new by SMB Texas.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 60
Great info here, in Michigan and use the van in the winter which leads to lots of salt and whatever is used on the roads in different areas getting all over the under carriage. Van had an under protective treatment (likely Line X but not sure) prior to purchasing it. Not sure how long ago but most of it is peeling off and there is rust behind it. Appreciate everyone's input here- goal is the same as scuba and get something on there (at least a portion of it) to keep it running for another 100K+ (that 7.3L is just gonna keep chugging)
Michisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michisurfer View Post
Great info here, in Michigan and use the van in the winter which leads to lots of salt and whatever is used on the roads in different areas getting all over the under carriage. Van had an under protective treatment (likely Line X but not sure) prior to purchasing it. Not sure how long ago but most of it is peeling off and there is rust behind it. Appreciate everyone's input here- goal is the same as scuba and get something on there (at least a portion of it) to keep it running for another 100K+ (that 7.3L is just gonna keep chugging)
Your a Por-15 candidate. I bought a pos flat bed trailer for my construction company, it was rusted and abused. I painted the entire thing with silver Por several years ago. The Por-15 loves rust I have had zero rust issues since. I can't say enough good things about Por and rust.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Your a Por-15 candidate. I bought a pos flat bed trailer for my construction company, it was rusted and abused. I painted the entire thing with silver Por several years ago. The Por-15 loves rust I have had zero rust issues since. I can't say enough good things about Por and rust.

Thank you! I've been using it when I cut holes in the body for accessories etc. Now comes the fun part of cleaning up the metal!
Michisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #28
JWA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 3,169
Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
If the underside of the van is seeing significant UV exposure you may need to re-evaluate your driving style.
My thoughts too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Stainless might be overkill, and for some applications might not be strong enough. I would definitely use anti-seize on anything you remove/replace, though. Painting the heads can't hurt but in my experience the bolts rusting in place and becoming impossible to remove is a much bigger problem.
This is probably the best advice about bolts and how they rust themselves in place. Remove each bolt carefully, treat with anti-seize and re-install with proper torque if they carry that specification.

Coating a bolt head or any exposed threads could also prove problematic if something like POR-15 is used. That stuff is so tenacious its holding power especially in small openings like threads has it acting almost like welding. If you want to paint bolt heads remove them first, allow enough drying time to fully cure before re-installing.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
My thoughts too!



This is probably the best advice about bolts and how they rust themselves in place. Remove each bolt carefully, treat with anti-seize and re-install with proper torque if they carry that specification.

Coating a bolt head or any exposed threads could also prove problematic if something like POR-15 is used. That stuff is so tenacious its holding power especially in small openings like threads has it acting almost like welding. If you want to paint bolt heads remove them first, allow enough drying time to fully cure before re-installing.
Good advice.

And will try to keep the rubber side down!
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ouray, CO
Posts: 57
Line-x is heavy!

Not long after Line-x hit the market I had it applied to my brand new pickup’s bed. The good news is that the line-x and bed still looked almost new after 20 years of heavy abuse. The bad news is that half-ton truck Immediately sat at least an inch lower after the thick coating was applied.
I don’t know what the product typically weighs per ft2 or per application, but in my next pickup (a new 2500) I elected to tolerate scratches and light surface rather than give up load capacity. I can’t help but wonder how much the load capacity of a van is reduced when it is completely coated in a Line-x type product. I tend to push my SMB close to its GVWR as it is.
So as far as “why not” use line-x as an undercoating, its weight and decreased load capacity of the van should probably factor into the decision. (As well as it’s efficacy and other reasons mentioned by previous posters)
__________________

OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×