Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #11

Re: Winch requirements

Warn 9500ti Reciever mount 112lbs
Warn 16.5ti 138lbs
I don't think the 26lb difference is going to hurt.

Even with my mounting two of the new Superwinch Talon 14.0 SR winches at 145lbs (the 18k is only 2lbs more and a extra 400.00) the Extra 290lbs is not a concern on my build. And I like the piece of mind. I can be 300mi away from help at times and would not want to have to rely on snach blocks and a cable that is not rated at double the pull. Sometimes it's not just the weight of the vehicle, it's the wheel thats over center in a hole or the torque of pulling over a lip of rock. I like to have alot of reserve.

We get this alot in the Motorcycle world. Trying to shave every lb with Ti bolts and axles and lots of exotic parts and then the guy shows up and weighs 300lbs.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #12

No amount of winch pulling power can get you out if you have the wrong pull angle, and that's why carrying a block, or blocks, is so important. (along with some extra straps for block anchors).

BTW - doubling your pull force using blocks does not double the force on the line. Each line part shares the load equally.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
I don't think the 26lb difference is going to hurt.
26lb, plus the steel for a proper mount, feet first- if you're lucky you don't have to squeeze it all in an Aluminess. It is a lot if you really don't need it and if you're already heavy in front anyway. For recreational use of the type most of us do in the lower 48, I'd say it's overkill. Still, if I already had a 15K winch I wouldn't swap it out either.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #14

I cant help myself

My Wench only requires that
i be kind and gentle to her
and get her to the Asian supermarket regular
and go camping often ....
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
26lb, plus the steel for a proper mount, feet first- if you're lucky you don't have to squeeze it all in an Aluminess. It is a lot if you really don't need it and if you're already heavy in front anyway. For recreational use of the type most of us do in the lower 48, I'd say it's overkill. Still, if I already had a 15K winch I wouldn't swap it out either.
What is the size most people put in their aluminess bumpers (I am assuming the Warn 12k)? Also what size is the biggest you can put in the aluminess bumpers and still fit with top closing etc? I am going to add a Warn and wanted to know what size to get.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
What is the size most people put in their aluminess bumpers (I am assuming the Warn 12k)? Also what size is the biggest you can put in the aluminess bumpers and still fit with top closing etc? I am going to add a Warn and wanted to know what size to get.

Me thinks a call to aluminess would be in order?
They may have info on brands and model numbers that work and dont work...
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #17

I know the Warn PowerPlant doesn't fit with the standard top, but at least one member has a modified top. I also know myriadmyriad sold his bumper rather than remove the winch and plate combo he'd installed (well not the only reason) I'd suggest searching for him as author, e.g.:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4689
Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #18

When I was at Aluminess getting my Roofrack Travis told me that someone had installed a Warn 16.5 Ti into an Aluminess Front Bumper. I think the Selinoid Box had to be rotated to fit. Give him a call.

Paul
Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

If you got a 12000 lb rig stuck in a bog that requires 18000 lbs to pull out and the bumper mounts on the winch or recovery points are not rated for that, a 20000 lb winch will just be a dangerous tool to apply. The same with double blocking a smaller winch. My 12000 lb winch has 25000 lb rated rope on it. I can double block it but that doesn't mean I won't rip the bumper or recovery points right off. Those points are only rated for what they were designed to handle whether straight lined, double lined, or pulled by a bigger winch. A winch is nothing but a helper tool to get you out, and you should know what the vessel that holds it, as well as the recovery points are rated for. Stress points such as bridal rigging also reduce ratings as well as slings, shackles, eyelets etc. Know your equipment IMO.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #20

I do not keep the stock bumper ends on the frame. I recut new ones from 3/8th strrl and use grade ten bolts (six each side) in front and two through the frame on each side into the recovery shackle mounts (1in hangers) and also a steel cross beam under the bumper that ties the frame rails togeather at the plow mounts.
You see most winches on tow and recovery trucks are Superwinch or Ramsey. I have nothing agianst Warn but just have had better luck with Superwinch, and they are on sale: http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-151620 ... 734&sr=8-1