Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #11

Kibo, I agree with you, I don't think the issue is with the door seals. I think the noise is coming from the wind hitting the sheet metal drum of the A pillar and above the windshield.

Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #12

Check the windshield gasket. Any separation will cause a noise that will sound like the engine is going to come apart.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:20 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
Check the windshield gasket. Any separation will cause a noise that will sound like the engine is going to come apart.
Let's be clear that beginning in 1992 E-Series windshields were encapsulated meaning there is no "gasket" used. The visible surrounding molding it nothing more than a decoration.

That molding can become detached from the actual glass itself making different noises but it can be easily reattached or the entire windshield replaced using a technique that's somewhat common in the business these days.

It's possible the leading edges of the front doors can be adjusted inward to tighten the door seals against the body, perhaps use the Vent Visor devices to improve air flow off the A-Pillars.

Having now owned 4 different '97 and later E-Series vans I've never noticed or experienced any problematic noise from the windshield area. For me were I trying to fix such a customer concern I'd want to drive the van myself to hear what they're hearing. (FWIW I'm in the auto/truck glass business.)
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
I too have found that the a-pillar area seems to create a lot of wind noise. In my case, it doesn't become terribly noticeable until around 60mph and increases at higher speeds.

To determine where it's coming from, I tried an experiment where I taped the hinge side and top seams on both front doors with painter's tape. I then drove a short route that included a wide variety of speeds up to highway speeds while logging noise level at a point midway between the driver and passenger seats at ear level with a sound meter. I drove the same route both with and without the tape, back to back, for an A/B comparison. The difference with and without the tape was negligible, and based on this experiment I concluded that the door seals (modified with surgical tubing inserted inside to increase the spring rate) are not the issue in my case.
Another great experiment for the sound meter would be with and without the side view mirrors. I strongly suspect the extendable type mirror is a big noise maker.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Another great experiment for the sound meter would be with and without the side view mirrors. I strongly suspect the extendable type mirror is a big noise maker.
Humm, I just folded them in so not as decisive as removal and really couldn’t tell any difference by ear.

I put some vent visors on a the driver/passenger door of a Honda Accord once, they created sooooo much wind noise I ended up removing them
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:07 AM   #16

just reading this thread. Did you ever found the cause?

I had a windshield coming out and could significantly change the noise level by pressing it out while driving... new windshield is fine now.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:02 PM   #17

Yes
The installer reinstalled the window with apple adhesive.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:36 PM   #18
JWA

Quote:
Yes
The installer reinstalled the window with apple adhesive.
As an installer with just over 32 years in the trade what exactly is "apple adhesive"? That's unknown to me.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:20 PM   #19

LOL
Seems my spell check changed ample to apple..........
Old 07-18-2022, 06:43 AM   #20
JWA

Quote:
LOL
Seems my spell check changed ample to apple..........
Ahhh okay I thought I was about to do a deep dive on new w/s adhesives.