Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2022, 03:57 PM   #1

windshield area noise

In my van is seems like a great deal of interior noise comes from the around the windshield area. I have been considering installing a small pipe for a wire chase in the A pillars and across the top of the windshield, then filling the rest of the area with expanding foam. It seems there is so much noise from the wind hitting the A pillars and the area above the windshield. The boxed metal acts as a "drum" of sorts.

Any thoughts on this???

Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #2

Try installing some self adhering weatherstripping in the door frame all around the area where the stock seals touch. It really helped reduce wind noise on mine. Amazon has lots of different sizes and shapes. It helps keep the dust out too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:19 PM   #3

artictraveller, I have pushed out on the door/window frame while going down the highway at speed and have not been able to increase to wind noise, telling me, the seal around the window/ door frame is doing it's job.
Denver, CO
Old 02-23-2022, 06:21 PM   #4

Garage
Have you checked the rubber weather strip that frames the front windshield? I spent over $1k chasing a noise (similar to what you explained) which I was sure had to be mechanical - turned out to be a small section of that outer weatherstrip had come loose, and when I would get to a certain speed the wind actually would lifted the strip and it would bounce back down - repeatedly.
I would suggest you inspect along the outer edge of the windshield to see if you're able to lift any part of the rubber edge up relatively easily.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:10 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
What year is this noisy van?

Is this a totally stock van or have things been added to the roof above the windshield?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:19 AM   #6

Totally stock 2002 eb.
About to get a CCV penthouse. In Colorado you get a new windshield every year or two, and often a new gasket.
It doesn't seem to be an air leak. I have even put a duct tape temp patch over the gasket and did a hwy blast test.

I'm I the only one that thinks the windshield area of an econoline is noisy?
Denver, CO
Old 02-24-2022, 01:17 PM   #7

It's not just you. I have about 200lbs of sound deadener in my van (not on the A pillar though) and I'd say the windshield is the noisiest area of my van. I noticed that a fair amount of luxury cars have optional double pane windshields now specifically to lower interior noise levels... I don't see that becoming a thing for a 30 year old platform.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:02 PM   #8

I realize the econoline windshield is the largest windshield installed in any late model car or truck. And that aspect cannot be diminished. The windshield is layed back more then many others.
Unless someone can tell me why not to, I'm going to fill mine before the CV top install and just see if it helps.
My wife's hearing is way more sensitive then any testing device. If she says it's better, go get your foam can lol
Denver, CO
Old 02-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #9

My high roof Transit windshield is twice as large as the Econoline. Just saying lol

Noise sucks. My KO2 tires makes lots of it but crush in the snow.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #10

I too have found that the a-pillar area seems to create a lot of wind noise. In my case, it doesn't become terribly noticeable until around 60mph and increases at higher speeds.

To determine where it's coming from, I tried an experiment where I taped the hinge side and top seams on both front doors with painter's tape. I then drove a short route that included a wide variety of speeds up to highway speeds while logging noise level at a point midway between the driver and passenger seats at ear level with a sound meter. I drove the same route both with and without the tape, back to back, for an A/B comparison. The difference with and without the tape was negligible, and based on this experiment I concluded that the door seals (modified with surgical tubing inserted inside to increase the spring rate) are not the issue in my case.