Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #1

Wrap vs Paint

What would be the cheaper/better option?

Extended Chevy express, would like to go from white to an avalanche gray color. Maybe matte would be cool if I went with the wrap. Would like to hear from your experiences with wraps or paint jobs on these larger vans.

Brawwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #2

I've had a wrap on my Express for 4 years now. Its outlived it life and will be replaced this summer but I'm glad i have had it. Saved my paint from a fair amount of pin striping and rock damage. Now I'll have a basically brand new looking van when I do it again this summer. Far cheaper than a nice paint job as well.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #3

What does a full wrap cost? Are there thicker materials that can change the price?
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
I've had a wrap on my Express for 4 years now. Its outlived it life and will be replaced this summer but I'm glad i have had it. Saved my paint from a fair amount of pin striping and rock damage. Now I'll have a basically brand new looking van when I do it again this summer. Far cheaper than a nice paint job as well.
I thought that until I priced them. Places around here want 4 grand for a wrap. Seems like that's more than a custom paint job but I haven't priced paint in a long time. I do know that materials (the paint itself, etc.) has gone way up but not sure about the work.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #5

In my limited experience, the wrap sticks better than the paint. So it doesn't last as long (3-5 years) but then you still have paint underneath. If you color change with paint it's sticking to the bad GM paint underneath.

I would wrap.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #6

My wrap was around $2k when I had it done 4 years ago.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #7

I would possibly pay up to 2k if it was done well. I remember when 2k would get you a really nice paint job though so I guess that's why I have trouble with this.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #8

Yea I think the days of a good paint job at that cost are over for a full sized van. Heck they may be over for a wrap too, lots have changed in the last 4 years!
Old 05-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #9

I did a bit of research when I got my van last May. The true cheapest option is to do it yourself with Raptor liner or a similar brand. I think I did my van for under $1500 but had to rent a spray booth due to my living situation. If you have a good space for it at home, you can do it for under $1000. It is a lot of work though, do not underestimate how much work is involved with sanding the existing clear coat off. As mentioned before though, Chevy’s factory paint jobs suck! I am also very happy with how it came out and the robustness of the paint thus far on a few off-road adventures with branches and things hitting the sides with no visible makes, which would not likely be the case with paint or a wrap.

I documented a lot of it on my van build thread if you are interested: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...awd-26987.html
Old 05-06-2021, 12:54 AM   #10

Those that have removed a wrap, did you notice any razor cuts? I recently saw a video of a bmw that was wrapped and the owner had razor cuts into the paint everywhere that they cut the excess off. That kind of has me a little worried going that route.

I’ve never seen a wrap up close either. Would you say the edges are pretty unnoticeable? The video above had terrible edges around everything (obviously just a bad wrap tech).
Brawwp is offline   Reply With Quote