Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by photokit View Post
Hi all, Can anyone tell me the size of the wrench I need to remove the seats (bolted to floor) in the 2012 E350. The Bolt reads SPF 10.9. I have all buckets seats in the passenger van and want to remove them. Thanks.
Hi PhotoKit you need a Torkx PLUS socket wrench... I am out of town or I would look because I can’t recall size. 45 or 50 I believe.

I had a heck of a time finding a torkx socket until an auto parts store manager overheard me asking and knew what I wanted, he had a source so I ordered
an entire set. (most people had no clue what a Torkx is)

Reason i needed it was like you- to remove my OEM bench seats in 2011 E350. Later i changed the first bench to OEM rear bucket seats bought off Craigslist. Happy to discover the OEM Buckets had mounting brackets with same hole/bolt spacing.

I did not want the sienna seats second row due to my bed/storage not allowing enough clearance for them. By some freak of nature I found the OEM bucket seller to be within an hour drive of me. Ok I had to put up with some drunk texting by him, calling me ‘Beautiful’ while he was vacationing with his fiancée. So I waited him out and got the much lower price I wanted to pay!

As mentioned above: TRUE that the nuts under floor are welded on. I can get you the thread size next week after I return home. Took a couple of trips to Fastenal to determine correct size. Is that soon enough or do you need exact info before the New Years?

Old 12-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #12

The Torx bits wont apply to the pic the OP posted.

I'm also guessing that the nuts underneath are not welded in place since the bolted in seats appear to be aftermarket.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
The Torx bits wont apply to the pic the OP posted.

I'm also guessing that the nuts underneath are not welded in place since the bolted in seats appear to be aftermarket.
Wow who on earth said those were Torkx+??? Guess I was exciting thinking there was one thing I know about. Ford floor bolts
That’s what I get for jumping on some thread from my phone ! My bad. Please disregard- we now return to regularly informed intelligence
Old 12-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #14

Thanks all, i don't see any torX. I see 18mm bolts. And I'll check and see if the bolts are welded. The bucket seats (all 7 of them)are bolted to the floor, but it snowed here so it's not so easy to lay under the van.
photokit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by photokit View Post
Thanks all, i don't see any torX. I see 18mm bolts. And I'll check and see if the bolts are welded. The bucket seats (all 7 of them)are bolted to the floor, but it snowed here so it's not so easy to lay under the van.
Yeah I was way wrong, it’s been known to happen! )didn’t look at picture close enough.) speaking of that can you post a pic of the entire seat with base? Curious to see it- if your van’s not buried in a snow drift that is!
Old 12-28-2018, 05:14 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Hi PhotoKit you need a Torkx PLUS socket wrench... I am out of town or I would look because I can’t recall size. 45 or 50 I believe.

I had a heck of a time finding a torkx socket until an auto parts store manager overheard me asking and knew what I wanted, he had a source so I ordered
an entire set. (most people had no clue what a Torkx is)
FWIW the correct size for the Ford front seat Torx drive bolts is T55 PLUS (upper case emphasis not my own mind you ), also had a very tough time finding anyone who knew of that type drive tool. (Thank you Spartan Tools, Columbus OH ) SK Tools part #45573 sold individually---they're about $23 each these days and a handy seldom-used tool. Of course in all my doings on the E-Series I've never encountered a need for that drive socket anywhere else but those specific fasteners.

BTW thread size for the stock Torx bolts (front of OEM seat base) is M10 x 1.0. Additionally the rear nuts (rear of OEM seat base) is 18mm drive, thread size/pitch is M12 x 1.75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
......I found the OEM bucket seller to be within an hour drive of me. Ok I had to put up with some drunk texting by him, calling me ‘Beautiful’ while he was vacationing with his fiancée. So I waited him out and got the much lower price I wanted to pay!
You are as cute as all get out so I understand his sentiments.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #17

Can you snap a pic of your seats?

It sounds like you may have a Commuter Van Conversion. If so, the bolts are actually easily removable, from the top. The larger nut below makes me think this is the case. CVC uses a hollow bolt that stays in the floor, then a smaller bolt to hold the seats down, making them semi-quick-release.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #18

I do not recall the tool size but I removed my after market captain chairs in the rear section along with the bench foldout. Because it was after market I did not find any welded nut underneath, just a regular L-bracket that would spin unless I had a helper hold the top bolt. I found it easier to zip tie the wrench to the seat frame (top/interior) while I worked from the underside...getting a buddy to tackle that was like pulling teeth even when I offered seats for free.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote