Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2022, 02:47 PM   #1

2010 E350 Quigley Towing Upgrades?

-2010 E350 6.8 Quigley 4:10-

I need to replace my "factory" leaf springs. I currently have a 4 leaf pack and they are close to flat from towing my camper. (9000lbs approx) While I'm at it, I'd like to help the van handle the camper better. What upgrades would you suggest for better handling while towing that wont make the van ride like a hay wagon when not towing.(it's bad enough as it is)

SmokeyN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 03:49 PM   #2

Garage
Rear sway bar, rear air bags (with dash controls so they are easily adjusted anytime), and might even consider sumo springs
Old 04-22-2022, 05:01 PM   #3

I haven't tried this, but these guys are big into motorhomes, etc. They make panhard bar kits for the rear end; this might tighten things up:

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/supersteer-products
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:58 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
You’re on the right track, certainly a proper rear spring pack helps a ton, there’s several spring co’s out there, Deaver, Atlas and Alcan come to mind, be prepared for a substantial wait though.
I’d also recommend the Fox tuned shocks that are part of Agile’s RIP kit, if that’s not in the budget, a set of Bilstein comfort shocks are a good alternative.
I’m assuming you’ve got a front sway bar, you could get a larger front sway bar installed, there are options for a rear bar from Hellwig that’ll stiffen things up as well, but I’d tend to recommend trying new leaf packs and shocks before going the rear sway bar approach, let the suspension do the work.
Air bags will help with leveling things out on the back end when towing.
I run a larger than stock front sway bar with custom end link disconnects, rear Deaver leaf springs and Agile’s RIP kit with Fox shocks, no rear sway. I did bag my rear end to help level out when towing.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Rear sway bar, rear air bags (with dash controls so they are easily adjusted anytime), and might even consider sumo springs

Thanks for the reply, I've definitely thought about bags, but I know several guys who have had issues with them in the winter. And I dont know anyone who has been all that satisfied with their sumo springs.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
You’re on the right track, certainly a proper rear spring pack helps a ton, there’s several spring co’s out there, Deaver, Atlas and Alcan come to mind, be prepared for a substantial wait though.
I’d also recommend the Fox tuned shocks that are part of Agile’s RIP kit, if that’s not in the budget, a set of Bilstein comfort shocks are a good alternative.
I’m assuming you’ve got a front sway bar, you could get a larger front sway bar installed, there are options for a rear bar from Hellwig that’ll stiffen things up as well, but I’d tend to recommend trying new leaf packs and shocks before going the rear sway bar approach, let the suspension do the work.
Air bags will help with leveling things out on the back end when towing.
I run a larger than stock front sway bar with custom end link disconnects, rear Deaver leaf springs and Agile’s RIP kit with Fox shocks, no rear sway. I did bag my rear end to help level out when towing.

I got a quote from Alcan and they're 12 weeks out, and Agile didnt have all the components for the RIP kits in stock. They couldnt give me a date when they would be ready to ship either. I was also concerned that the RIP kit wouldnt really help with towing any. It seems like everyone is very happy the kit but most of the vans are self contained camping rigs that dont really tow much. Ive got a spring place local to me but they want to sell me a 7 leaf factory upgrade pack that I think it will make the van ride rougher than it already does.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyN8 View Post
And I dont know anyone who has been all that satisfied with their sumo springs.
I've been very happy with mine (review elsewhere on this forum), zero issues since install other than they're no longer a pretty blue. However, I'm not towing nor did I purchase them to aid with towing.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
2010 E350 Quigley Towing Upgrades?

Keep in mind that springs and shocks each play a different role in your suspension, but work together to create the ride characteristics specific to the vehicle, that’s why it’s usually protocol for the spring manufacturers I mentioned ask for weights front/aft and sometimes each corner to properly build them to spec.
To an extent, same goes for shocks, a properly valved shock, based on the vehicle’s weight, will have the proper damping and rebound and much better control than one off the shelf. That said, if the RIP kit with the Fox shocks aren’t currently avail or out of the budget, Bilstein makes a great shock, go for the comfort series(terrible marketing name).
Just be aware that if you start throwing random springs and shocks on your rig without taking your vehicles weight into consideration, you most likely won’t get the results you’re looking for.
As for towing, maybe I mentioned this already, but we full time towed a camper behind our van for 2 years, and I now tow a 14’ dump trailer around. I have Deaver springs and the RIP kit installed on our Quigley, as well as rear air bags to help level things out when loaded.
A weight distribution hitch also helped out a ton when we had the camper, highly recommended! Helps to keep the front end planted and minimize wandering.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #9

[QUOTE=REF;310333] Just be aware that if you start throwing random springs and shocks on your rig without taking your vehicles weight into consideration, you most likely won’t get the results you’re looking for.

That's exactly why I'm hesitant to get a "factory upgrade". I would rather pay more for something that should work much better. Had I know it would be 12 weeks to get springs and shocks I would've ordered them at Christmas. Shame on me!

[QUOTE=REF;310333]
A weight distribution hitch also helped out a ton when we had the camper, highly recommended! Helps to keep the front end planted and minimize wandering.

I actually upgraded my weight distribution hitch to a Pro Pride hitch hoping that would solve all my concerns... and for the most part it did. The Pro Pride took away pretty much all the sway. The trailer tracks right behind me and is so much more manageable. I just feel like it still pushes me around too much and I was hoping there was some sort of suspension combination that would alleviate that. I told my wife I was going to convert it to a dually but she shot that down pretty quick LOL.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #10

Weldtec may have custom leaf packs in stock as well. Check them. Its a GM van but I'm really happy with the ride of their custom pack. I haven't towed with them yet so can't speak to that yet. I did tow a fair amount with the factory pack and blocks to which I added air bags for leveling. The bags have been on there for several years now with no issues.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote