Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #1

3.73 vs 4.11 in a 2008 E350 V10

Anyone have first hand experience with 3.73 vs 4.10 rear diff ratio in a E350 V10. I will need to tow 5000 ish lb trailer weight 40% of the time and trying to decide if I need to switch from 3.73 to 4.10. The van is getting a 4X4 conversion and will run 275/70-18 tires (I think that converts to a 32-33" diameter). I've only driven the van in stock configuration 2wd 3.73 and was a little underwhelmed with the V10. I've been told the V10 3.73 setup is a good combo but adding weight to the van build, little taller tires, 5000 lb trailer...it adds up.

Thanks

Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #2

I have a 4WD 5.4L V8 with 3.73's and 285/70-17's...

I'm fine with my setup but it downshifts out of OD on moderate (or steeper) grades.....can't imagine pulling a 5000 lb trailer with my setup ....but hey...FL is flat.

I also like the gas mileage of the 3.73's, but out here in the mountains there are many times when 4.10's would be better.

Try the search feature..this subject has been discussed here numerous times.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:32 PM   #3

I have the same engine and trans as your van and I run 4.10's on 285's. I have a small toy hauler that weighs about 7,000lbs and although the van does fine pulling it, I sometimes wish I had lower gears.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:49 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Certainly changing rear gears could be an answer but if I had a V10 gasser I'd look into a new ECM tune such as 5Star Tunes. This link will take you to their page for E-Series w/V10 engines.: https://5startuning.com/product-cate...e-series-6-8l/

This outfit has received rave reviews from actual users who post to FTE. In fact there's an entire multi-page thread complimenting them along with a few less-than-glowing reports too. FTE has created a separate folder for 5 Star topics, can be found here: https://5startuning.com/product-cate...e-series-6-8l/

A few caveats...........

-I'm NOT a user as I only drive 2WD E-Series with 5.4 gassers.

-I never tow anything and rarely venture more than 200 miles outside of Columbus Ohio. Any elevation changes I'd see would be 1,000' or less.

5 Star Tunes can be configured to change a lot of PCM-controlled parameters like transmission shift points--basically anything it controls can be tailored to suit your needs. Their tunes can be very easily reversed so its not a permanent change by any means.

Changing rear gears might be the better option especially if heavily loaded or towing frequently--5 Star Tunes just something to consider.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #5

I would definitely change gears if you are going to taller tires. 4.10 however, might only give you the same effective ratio as what you have now, running taller tires.

4.30 gears are the sweat spot for the V10 with 4x4 IMO. With 32" tires, you end up with an effective ratio of 4.10, but you can run up to a 35" tires and still fall within a 3.73 effective ratio. Effective ratios taller than 3.73 aren't really recommended for towing.

Also, don't forget to consider combined weight ratings since you're towing:
3.55 - not rated
3.73 - 15,000 pounds
4.10 - 18,500 pounds
4.30 - 20,000 pounds
4.56 (with 10.75" or larger ring gear) - 22,000 pounds
Old 04-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #6

Great input from all of you, thank you, just the kind of real world experience I need to consider.

Having lived all my 59 years in Florida the last thing i want to do is cruise around here, so there is "that"

Steve
Old 04-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

Garage
Along with the combined weight chart carringb provided previously, I found it beneficial to also get an idea of how the different variables impact the outcome utilizing the one of these performance calculators:

https://www.crawlpedia.com/calculators.htm

Tire Size, RPM, Speed, and Differential Ratio Calculator

https://www.crawlpedia.com/rpm_gear_calculator.htm

If you havent already, Consider pulling up spec on your engine (specifically the torque curve)

Gas engines peek torque at higher rpm's than Diesel engines, so knowing at what level rpms deliver the best torque helps you manage selecting the right gear to be in (you'll have to ballpark effects like weight and road grade)

I also used the calculators to get an understanding of what rpms will net me the best cruising speed & fuel mileage - and ruffly what mph that sweet spot is.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Along with the combined weight chart carringb provided previously, I found it beneficial to also get an idea of how the different variables impact the outcome utilizing the one of these performance calculators:

https://www.crawlpedia.com/calculators.htm

Tire Size, RPM, Speed, and Differential Ratio Calculator

https://www.crawlpedia.com/rpm_gear_calculator.htm

If you havent already, Consider pulling up spec on your engine (specifically the torque curve)

Gas engines peek torque at higher rpm's than Diesel engines, so knowing at what level rpms deliver the best torque helps you manage selecting the right gear to be in (you'll have to ballpark effects like weight and road grade)

I also used the calculators to get an understanding of what rpms will net me the best cruising speed & fuel mileage - and ruffly what mph's that sweet spot is.

Very nice!! Look forward to checking this out in the morning.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #9

I went straight from 3.73 to 4.56 gears with my E350. Best mod I've ever done. No more shifting down on every little grade and more importantly since I drive a lot of dirt roads at 45- 50 mph, the tranny stays in OD now at those speeds. With the 3.73 gears it was constantly shifting in and out of OD at those speeds which can't be good for the tranny. That V-10 thrives on rpms so changing the gearing made it much happier. And for whatever reason, the fuel mileage stayed the same after the gearing change.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
I went straight from 3.73 to 4.56 gears with my E350. Best mod I've ever done. No more shifting down on every little grade and more importantly since I drive a lot of dirt roads at 45- 50 mph, the tranny stays in OD now at those speeds. With the 3.73 gears it was constantly shifting in and out of OD at those speeds which can't be good for the tranny. That V-10 thrives on rpms so changing the gearing made it much happier. And for whatever reason, the fuel mileage stayed the same after the gearing change.
I hate a hunting trans for sure.

What is your gas mileage, van only?

So Quigley set it up as 4x4 with 3.73 and then you later changed it to 4.56. How much $ per end to make a gear change like that? In my case, theoretically we buy the front axle already the ratio i want and then change the rear.