Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #101

With COVID hanging around postponing my S. America trip I've been getting re-acquainted with my mtn bike and loving it. There's a chance I may be in the Brianhead, UT area early October. Any recommendations here on some remote areas to camp and get some good riding in? I'm not so interested in the mtn bike park thing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200729_095043.jpg   IMG_20200717_110303.jpg   IMG_20200705_151722.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike View Post
I’ll play.

Live and ride in Phoenix mostly. Been on an Evil Insurgent for the past few years, eyeballing an Offering pretty hard.

Right on. I ride an Offering and am the trail coordinator for Flagstaff Biking Organization.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #103

Somehow I missed this thread until it popped up yesterday... Looking back through the posts brings back some of my fondest memories. I've been riding bicycles for almost 60 years. When I was a kid, it was our ticket to see the world outside of our immediate neighborhood.

The license plate on my truck says it all:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5556 (2).jpg  
Old 08-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #104

I'm currently up-ing my stoke on a 26" BMX/DJ thanks to a new bike park that sprung up near my home. It's callled Sweetwater Bike Park (Bonita, CA aka South Bay San Diego). Small, but well designed, park with a pump track a few jump lines and mini flow trails.

I've got a mild case of Franken-bike at the moment but it serves my purposes well. It's a Haro Steel Reserve DJ with a rigid fork, BMX bars and stem. It's set up like a plus-size BMX, as I was previously using it to embarrass myself at the skatepark. More recently it was a neighborhood/with-the-kids cruiser.

Just looking for some flow, to air out a bit, and progress.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #105

If you haven't already seen them, there's a couple of movies that you might like if you're into mountain biking. They are on Amazon Prime. "Reach for the Sky" & "Where the Trail Ends" are both about extreme mountain biking. Picture extreme skiing, except in the desert on a mountain bike. And I thought I was a badass on a bike in my younger day...

The other one, is my personal favorite. Mostly because I was about the same age doing something very similar, in a different part of the state. It's about the story of how the first mountain bikes came to be. Back then, we had to make/modify what was available in order to have a bike that would handle being ridden down a dirt road, after being pushed to the top of the mountain. These guys are way smarter than we were & took it way farther than we did, but damn if we weren't doing the same thing... I do think we did make & ride one of the first ever side-hacks that we raced down the mountain roads where I grew up. Check out "Klunkers, the history of the mountain bike"
Old 08-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #106

Yes, I've seen the Klunkers film. Pretty awesome stuff. And I'd always wanted a sidehack as a kid... Come to think of it, I still want one!
Old 09-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
The pandemic and working remote has increased my bicycle time. Average a bit over 100 miles per week riding 5 days. Right from the house mostly. I see cars occasionally but real quiet out here. Attachment 34338
That looks like a lovely gravel ride. What route near Golden is that?
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
That looks like a lovely gravel ride. What route near Golden is that?
Marshall Mesa

I've been in Gunnison NF since March when Covid hit. Internet connection sucks and the birds are loud but it has its benefits
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #109

So glad to see someone talking about bicycles! Well, a lot of someone's that is...happy that so many are into this outstanding form of exercise and entertainment.
I started riding in the early 60's and began by racing BMX (my favorite was a custom built Redline), then got into road touring, eventually getting the second mountain bike in my town, a 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper. At one time I had eighteen bikes and traveled the world as a UCI Commissaire as well as all across the United States as a USAC National Official.
I had been sponsored by a local shop for several years racing a factory carbon fiber K2 until that one fateful night...finishing a thirty mile training ride and was within one mile of home when a pizza-delivery driver ran a red light. When I came to, I was surrounded by people (laying in the middle of a six lane road) and had no feeling from the waist-down. I was told I'd never walk again, never ride a bike again, and certainly never race again. It took four (very long) years but I was eventually able to ride and entered the same race I had promoted for many years (the Keyesville Classic) just to be able to prove everybody wrong. Unfortunately, my injuries led to a seven-year stretch on Chemo and I sincerely questioned whether I'd ever ride again, but you can't stop stubbornness!
My fleet is now down to a carbon Kestrel, Santa Cruz Highball Carbon, Santa Cruz XC, my old faithful Stumpjumper, and a first year elevated chainstay Nishiki Alien (ala Richard Cunningham)...well, and a dual sport BMW!

Thanks everyone for sharing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Middle Creek snow.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	35909

Name:	Durham.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	35910

Name:	Yellowstone.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	35911
ChaplainArin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #110

Wow, that is quite a story. So glad you are still able to do what you love!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote