Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #131

Garage
for me personally, mt biking is more prone to injury than skiing or boarding. snow is way softer than dirt and rock. not that there arent a lot of ways to die on the snow, but ive been snowboarding for 35 years and mt biking for 32 and ive been hurt way more on the bikes than the boards. it all boils down to how dumb you are vs your brains self preservation level.

mt biking isnt low risk most of the places we ride. weve had friends wreck and end up so far off trail that we didnt see them when we went by. when you reach the bottom of a trail and the guy who was in front of you isnt at the truck, theres a problem. started riding back up and 2 hikers asked if i was missing a friend. i said yes and they told me he was in pretty bad shape (and didnt help him?!). he was knocked out cold. full gear, just caught a rock with his pedal that was hiding in a clump of weeds and it launched him down into a thick gully about 30' down the mtn. lots of blood and he was concussed, but no broke bones.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:01 AM   #132

Garage
Above post reported as spam.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:41 AM   #133

Self preservation has to play in too. Banzaiing and running high risk tech speed downhills will get you sooner or later.
Common sense (for me).
Where I ride (have ridden) single track in the woods is tight. You're not airing out. Cross Country... you ride up so you can ride down. 25 lb full suspension bikes.
I am not the fastest of the fast, or the slowest of the slow (and getting old too lol), but I ride with self preservation.
If you ride with the expectation you are going to crash, that is a bad mindset, and riding over your head (ya I know, 'challenge yourself').
But I am old school and ride not to destroy myself or my bike. I would not get up from all these high speed/high risk get offs. In fact old enough I stay off technical (ridgeline) stuff these days.
I have been/have moving to a Surron Light Bee ebike (no pedals) and do m/c single track. Ya I know... not a bicycle(!), but based on a downhill bike design mostly (suspension, brakes). Its a phenomenal machine. I still pedal on either a gravel bike or fitness bike (riser bar commuter) for maintaining health. Did Moab & the Flume trail (Tahoe) back in the day... Among other regional rides (PNW).
My back/vertebrae really packs downs so I have to stay away from hammering off road. My riding style/preference is roller coaster/swoopy style trails.
Keep after it gents, and enjoy!

Old 03-23-2023, 10:34 AM   #134

At this age and point in my life I am all about my pedal assist class one full suspension mountain bike. I’m not hard-core, fire roads and single track. It’s my humble opinion that I’m a safer on a e-mtb versus non-assist bikes. The weight and glorious suspension of the e-mtb assist with certain obstacles, has a plush ride and adjusting boost levels allows me to control how much stress I put on the broken parts of the body. I still get plenty of cardio. 2400 miles on my 2018 model and so far the only damage has been scratches, scrapes and hurt pride.

I am more dangerous on the snow board than an e-mtb given I have less skills in the snow. I have been surfing my whole life, incurred more serious injuries in the water than anywhere else.

In the event your looking to get an e-mtb now is the time of year when they are discounting last years models.

Regardless of what we all prefer just keep moving.
cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:14 AM   #135

E-bike charging

Has anybody looked into charging e-bikes with the house battery system. US based E-bikes use 110v inverter to the manufacture’s dc voltage. You can use the system inverter to charge. Very limited electrical knowledge but know an e-bike is in our future, looking for thoughts/ideas from the group.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:25 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Has anybody looked into charging e-bikes with the house battery system. US based E-bikes use 110v inverter to the manufacture’s dc voltage. You can use the system inverter to charge. Very limited electrical knowledge but know an e-bike is in our future, looking for thoughts/ideas from the group.
As long as your van has the standard 120V wall outlet, I don't see why you couldn't charge your e-bike battery using the bike mfg supplied wall charger. It's just another load, no different than having microwave or water boiler.

Now if you're asking about bypassing the AC step and trying to step directly from your house battery to the bike battery voltage (DC-DC converter), that's another story. I would not try to do this directly because there are specific charging algorithms used for charging those (presumably) lithium-ion batteries in the e-bike. The smarts for the charging algorithm are generally contained in the charger itself, and while you could devise your own charge profile, that seems risky.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:03 PM   #137

Garage
I used my inverter and ran the cord out the back window as I drove. I had a sur ron and a regular e-bike on racks and it charged both.