Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #21

long time mountain biker

I bought my first mountain bike, a Trek Antelope 850 in 1986. In !991 I got a Specialized StumpJumper Pro. Still on the 5 year plan, I moved up to a full suspension ProFlex Animal in 1996. When we bought our GTRV in 2001, it became the main bike hauler for camping and mountain biking. In 2006 I got a Specialized StumpJumper Expert. This was the bike that for me was a truly modern full-suspension design and I felt like the technology was a mature and very functional design.

I upgraded to an Intense Spider Comp 29-er in 2013, which is by far the best bike I've ever owned. At 5 years in it still feels like my "new" bike. But of course the latest, greatest are out there tempt me. I do plan to add a dropper post soon. Meanwhile, I've included a few pics of bikes on and off the van.
Attached Thumbnails
trek.jpg   IMG_20180830_071812.jpg   IMG_20181014_120539_001.jpg   KIMG0141.jpg   IMG_20181021_120826.jpg  

YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #22

As a kid a BMX bike meant freedom to explore. Then in my early teens I began competitive cycling. This photo is 1986, I'm 15, in my first year of USCF junior II racing. Hence the early use of a hideous looking helmet as Juniors were required to wear them and Giro helmets was just about to hit the scene. This was my first bike, a Shimano 600 appointed Nishiki, all steel. The following year I was able to upgrade the bike to a Vitus 979 aluminum frame with full Dura-Ace set with tubular wheels. That bike carried me through the following several junior I seasons. I still have that bike in the rafters of the garage. Bike racing waned off after high school as cars entered the picture, and then life happens. BTW despite my glum look in this picture I'm actually part of the break away here and would go on to win for my division.

Today's bike is what I call the Earth Roving Vehicle a Rad Power Bike folding e bike. Here it's stowed on the back of the Space Shuttle. I call it the ERV as the fat tire, folding, e bike experience is so different than a "regular" bike that I don't think of it as just a bike. With regards to the van, I use the bike as a way to explore more, sometimes peddling, sometimes completely on electricity, sometimes a bit of both. And then charge via the vans solar. Again it's more of an Earth Roaming Vehicle than a bike and it's a bit of security to have as I too have 6.0.

Great topic and what ever you ride, ride safe.
- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
Hence the early use of a hideous looking helmet as Juniors were required to wear them and Giro helmets was just about to hit the scene.
I remember those Bell V1 Pros. A little more stylish than the old Bell Bikers, but not much! As a senior, I could still wear a Cinelli leather "hairnet" for a helmet at that time. Small enough to fit under a cycling cap and offered oh so much protection. But then again, we weren't planning on crashing...

I really wanted a Vitus when I started racing, but never pulled the trigger.
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #24

My garage is full of too many bikes! I’ll dig up some pics later. The most fun I’ve had with bikes over the past two years is being a coach on my son’s NICA youth mountain bike team (grades 6-12). If you have kids at all into biking you should check this out! It’s a great program and available in many states around the USA.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #25

For me, I have been a recreational rider most all my life. Just a handful of races for me. Time trial, select outlaw (cash purse) mtn bike races, and one road race in my blood lol.
I trained with racers, but I was sponsoring my kid who was a very good road racer about ten years ago now, as a junior.
Unfortunately, or fortunately my dedication and ability to really suffer lacked a bit.
A little pre bmx days I had a trick Schwinn Sting Ray, with thick spokes in the rear and an early double clamp bmx stem, a real knee destroyer.
Skinny spread handlebars and a two speed kickback. A high banana seat for endless wheelies. Oh the days.
Lets hear more!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #26

The garage and bike room. My 1990 Bridgestone MB1, 1996 Moots YBB, and wifey's 1995 Specialized Stumpy hang on the wall. Joe Murray welded my MB1 chainstay that I broke two decades ago and I restored it thinking I would ride it but one ride was enough. On the wall you go.
Attached Thumbnails
garage_1.jpg   bike rack.jpg   air setup_1.jpg   bike stand_1.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #27

Did someone say banana seat? I also teethed on BMX although we mainly fished bikes out of dumpsters and rode as is. Nothing organized in the mid 70s. Mainly inspired by Steve McQueen's "On Any Given Sunday" and Evil Knievel.
Attached Thumbnails
1975_banana seat_small.jpg   1975_huffy.jpg   1975_Xup.jpg   1975_trash cans.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:09 AM   #28

Bikes

I also have a Peddle assist Hai-Bike and it puts a smile on my face every time I take it out. I started riding mountain bikes in the 90's and can remember the stoke of my first full suspension Trek Y-bike. It weighed a ton and cost as much as my Hai-Bike!

Injuries kept me from any serious riding for over ten years. I test rode the Hai-Bike and had to have one. The pedal assist allows me to be out there again, moderate the stress on broken body parts and is a great addition the van.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3610.jpg   IMG_3605.jpg  
cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #29

I heard this is the bicycle support group.... Nice thread, and great pics! I had to laugh at all the Schwinn Stingrays that us kids had. I had a metallic green one, with metallic green grips, and matching banana seat. I crashed that one in half, unfortunately. Then I got a Schwinn Collegiate Sport 10 speed. Had that until the mountain bike craze. I skipped over the BMX days having crashed enough for a while (per mom).

My first mountain bike was a Mongoose with all Shimano Lx. Then my girlfriend and I both bought Bontragers back in the late 90s. I still have that bike, and enjoyed upgrading it every year until it was obsolete. It still rides great. Just last year my girlfriend and I have finally upgraded to full suspension. Hers is a 13 Specialized FSR and I got a 17 Rocky Mountain Instinct 29r with a dropper post.

We really enjoy the amazing biking we have around here, Dry lake hills, Az trail, Rainbow Rim trail, Sedona trails. Then there is Moab. The Camper van is our MO, since the VW days. And were hooked!

wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #30

Awesomeness!
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote