Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by velo47 View Post
Nice! Are those Speedplay MTB pedals on it?
Yes! I use them on all my bikes, road or mtn.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #52

I dont ride this bike enough. It requires me to be in great shape, because a Colnago should not be slow.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1877 copy.jpg  
Old 11-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #53

Mountain Bikes

I like your set up, my wife and I ride single track also, how do you keep your bikes secure from thieves while you are sleeping, my bikes cost too much to take a chance of loosing them. any suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Ebike threads usually devolve into blue vs red type bickering but I'll throw my 2 cents out. Personally I'm not a fan on non-motorized trails. I get the fitness part and also declining skills as one ages but it's a slippery slope. If the land manager decides that class I ebikes are ok on multi-use trails then I'm on board. Until then, I am opposed. But take that with a grain of salt as I am a mountain bike advocate and am actively building, maintaining, and proposing new trails. I have worked hard to build a strong partnership with the US Forest Service.

Your never too old for some air time!
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:34 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
I like your set up, my wife and I ride single track also, how do you keep your bikes secure from thieves while you are sleeping, my bikes cost too much to take a chance of loosing them. any suggestions.

Well yeah, I can have $25,000+ worth of bikes hanging off the back of my rig. I have 1UPusa racks which have a sweet little lock that goes through the spokes of the wheels. Generally one of those in each rear wheel and if I'm really worried I put a big cable lock through all of them. That, and generally I'm not camping where I'm too worried about theft but going into cities is always cause for concern.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:08 AM   #55

I second 1up racks. Best I've seen. I'm not sure if someone could release the skewers and grab the frame though. I've been meaning to research that.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I second 1up racks. Best I've seen. I'm not sure if someone could release the skewers and grab the frame though. I've been meaning to research that.

Without cutting the locking mechanism I don't see how the arms could be moved enough to free the frame. That and I have thru-axles on most of my bikes so no skewers.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #57

I have a 1up and will use heavy cables to lock the bike to the rack - but - I worry that a smart thief can easily get the hex security key for themselves and undo the entire rack. With the help of a buddy, they could remove it from the van and lift both bikes into the back of a pickup and take off. I did see someone that took a u-bolt lock and locked his 1up to the hitch assembly. As we are headed to the southeast for a month, I am looking at doing that myself.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #58

1Up here also & Kryptonite cable locks. Due diligence whenever possible on where we park too.
Yakima rack on the wifes Subie.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #59

My first 'mountain bike' was a Ross Mt Hood. I think that was in 1985? I rode the hell out of that bike even though there really weren't trails like there are now. I spent the 90s as a bike mechanic/ski tech in New Hampshire/Vermont/Colorado.

I lusted after the GT Zaskar but never had the money to get one. The ProFlex/Girvins were also the rage while I was building bikes. Fast forward to today and my current bike favorite is an Evil Wreckoning.

A couple years ago I hit a tree at about 25mph after overshooting a set of doubles. A branch broke off in my forearm severing a nerve that was responsible for two fingers and my thumb on the right hand. I learned how slowly nerves grow. Luckily, about 95% of function is back now and I am riding again. However, these days, I ride a bit more conservatively.

My son is a NICA racer in Utah and it really is a great program. He definitely loves bikes.

These days the garage has as many skis/snowboards/fly rods as it does bikes. I have always found that mountain biking seems to be the international language of the outdoor rec industry. Doesn't seem to matter if you consider yourself a climber, skier, camper, hiker, whatever, everyone seems to find time to ride a bike.

Still looking for the 'perfect' rack solution for my van . . . but that is for another thread. . . . .
Old 11-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #60

Bianchi for me

Being an old (70 yo) Bianchi fan (had my first one over 55 yrs. ago... $195 for top of line Bianchi Team Issue with full Campy)... I'm now making room for a new Bianchi Aria eRoad with 250-watt pedal-assist (arrives in about 1 week) to help boost my speed a bit like in the good ol' days. I have a fork mount on the rear ladder and bungee the rear wheel to the ladder when the weather is good and not a dirt/gravel road... otherwise, it goes inside.Click image for larger version

Name:	van_bike.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	24255

Click image for larger version

Name:	bianchi.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	24256
karl2014 is offline   Reply With Quote