Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2009, 11:47 PM   #11

Re: Hitch advice?

Thanks Robert! I've sent you an email.

And thank you everyone else for the advice, too. I was leaning towards a class 3 before (500/5000) but I think with a bike on a hitch carrier, I'd be pushing my luck

Cheers!
Mike.

mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #12

Just wanted to thank Robert on this thread - he wrapped that hitch up beautifully and shipped it quickly. Didn't even want to take my money until I'd tried bolting it up to my van!

So thanks again Robert! I finally made it through all of the packaging today

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #13

As a bonus, you got him to de-lurk.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
As a bonus, you got him to de-lurk.
yeah, what up with that robert?

(maybe he has a life and does not ck the board on the way to the head...)
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to SuperSuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDoggy
LeadDoggy had Eckhart install one on his E350. Being that I use a homebuilt custom motorcycle hitch carrier with two supports rather than one single support in the middle, I had Eckhart weld on two additional receivers. All in all it was about $250 installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
I'm shopping for a hitch for my E350 and looking for some advice. I'll be using it mostly to pull a small utility trailer with 1 or 2 motorcycles (total ~1500lbs). At some point, I'd love one of those hitch-mounted motorcycle trays, for a small bike, around 300lbs.

Can anyone recommend a hitch type/brand? Do some come with multiple receivers, for sturdy motorcycle tray mounting, or are those extra receivers always welded on later? Are U-Haul hitches any worse than the higher-priced brands?

What are you guys and girls using?

Thanks very much!
Mike.
"Eckhart" is a shop or person? I live in Cali and how do I do that with the double hitch. I went to Baja on winter break and beat up my hauler. It's alumium and metal and the hauler hitch style.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
I do not know of any with multiple receivers. The factory ford option has a rating less than the Van (500/5000) which seems a bit dumb.
Best I found in my search that would allow for extra hitch receivers to be welded onto it without interference was Draw Tite rated at (1000/10000). They make a few versions, model #41906 was the one I was looking at.

In the end I modified the factory ford one I had, so I can't comment on it, but it looked the best on paper.
Random old thread bump.

Draw Tite also has a 41926 (http://www.draw-tite.com/content/produc ... part=41926)
Install diagram: http://www.draw-tite.com/content/downlo ... N41926.pdf

It has the same capacity and price as the 41906, but tucks in tighter and is slightly lighter, and is also a slightly easier DIY install, no drilling required (all pluses, no minuses).

The 41906 is heavier, same capacity and will fit for sure.

Anyone have any experience with 41926 vs 41906?
My concern is that the ends tuck in too tight and would hit the XL storage box.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #17

I bolted up a 41906 today. While the drilling wasn't fun, it wasn't a big deal compared to driving the self locking nuts, which would have been a serious chore without an air impact wrench. In retrospect I wouldn't consider drilling or no drilling as a reason to choose one over another.

On the '99 e-350 EB it sits about 2" further forward than the end of a dinged (possibly dented inward in the center) Ford chrome step bumper. I don't think I'd want something that was tucked further under the van. If anything I'd be curious about a solution that doesn't hang down quite as low. It certainly doesn't do the departure angle any favor. OTOH, it's petty solid. I doubt I can hurt it, even if I do manage to drop the van on it.

For anyone hunting for the brake controller plug under the dash: On this '99 there were two identical plugs, both within about 4" of each other. A gray one and a brown one. The correct one turned out to be the brown one. It was tucked out of the way a bit better and located about 3-4" lower along the same left side of the footwell as the gray one.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #18

Do you have an XL storage box?

I had the 41906 on my old stock van, pretty solid hitch.

SMB says they use a hitch #13055 from Wholesale Trailer Supply 800-400-5275, which clears the XL storage and requires no drilling.
(edit) think that's a Class III Curt 13055: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/13055.html

(edit) I have an air impact wrench, so no big issue there. I've seen in some RV catalog some steel landing wheels that fit under hitches in case you bottom out on departure.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Do you have an XL storage box?
No, I have a 33" spare under there. It fits fine and IIRC does not touch the hitch, but it is generally shifted a bit forward on the notches that cradle it from above.

I could possibly get you a picture or some measurements tomorrow evening if that would help. I suspect you mostly want to know how much further forward the cross beam sits than the bumper. (from memory, less than an inch) It lines up with the frame rails on the left and right and does not intrude past them to either the inside or outside.

You do need to reach into the frame rails to get the bolts in there. So if the box prevents you from doing that, it could make things interesting.

Quote:
SMB says they use a hitch #13055 from Wholesale Trailer Supply 800-400-5275, which clears the XL storage and requires no drilling. (edit) think that's a Class III Curt 13055: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/13055.html
The class III hitches obviously don't have to be as sturdy and generally seem a lot more elegant in staying out of the way of things.

Quote:
(edit) I have an air impact wrench, so no big issue there. I've seen in some RV catalog some steel landing wheels that fit under hitches in case you bottom out on departure.
It's usually backing into a berm of sand or snow at the edge of a trail while turning around. I don't see wheels doing much good there, and I've learned long ago to carry a shovel, so I'm not really concerned about getting stuck that way.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
I could possibly get you a picture or some measurements tomorrow evening if that would help.
No thanks, I am pretty sure the 41906 will fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
Quote:
SMB says they use a hitch #13055 from Wholesale Trailer Supply 800-400-5275, which clears the XL storage and requires no drilling. (edit) think that's a Class III Curt 13055: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/13055.html
The class III hitches obviously don't have to be as sturdy and generally seem a lot more elegant in staying out of the way of things.
Oh, they also have a Class IV hitch, #14055...

http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event= ... Code=14055