Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Saw that REI outlet has an Advanced Elements Lagoon 2 Inflatable Kayak with Pump on sale ($340 instead of $575).

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/771083

Herb

Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #12

Re: Kayak Question

We just got a SMB with a penthouse roof and Yakama bars and took it to the North Coast ab diving with 2 Ocean Kayak Scupper Pros on the top.

We tye them down upside down, with lash straps going thru at least one scupper hole per boat.

We use a bow line "just-in-case".

We can just barely lift the top with them up there, and I wouldn't trust the top up with any wind with them up there.

They also seem to bow the PH top down a little, like they are too heavy for the top @ ~130 lbs for the 2 of them.

They are also a PITA to get up and down and to tye down, I had to buy a step ladder.
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #13

I just got the Hullavator installed. I've got a 75 pound Nautiraid double. It works great! Several used for sale. The 897XT version is newer and can handle up to 36 wide while the older model 897 can only handle 26 inches wide.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #14

We haul a pair of ocean Kayaks on our Sprinter using the Thule Hullavators. It is really easy and fast to load and unload. I do need to use a small step ladder to raise and lower the boats and I use both bow and stern lines. We have an electric Penthouse top and I have to help push it up when the boats are up there. We also have those drop down legs that SMB installs for manual tops. We always sleep up top and my wife hates the idea that something will fail and the top might fall on us in the middle of the night with all that weight.
Henry
Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #15

Quote:
I just got the Hullavator installed
We looked at the Thule Hullavator this trip in a sports store in Eureka.

I dont think it would hold up to the Gonzaga Bay Road, there was ALOT of "jiggle" in the system.

Have you folks with them tried really bad roads for 100's of miles?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

FWIW
I wouldn't drive the Puertacitos-Gonzaga road with ANYTHING on the penthouse top.
I've driven that road a thousand times and have ruined all sorts of racks and appendages.
Ask Scatter what he thinks about driving that road with a big load on the PH roof.
Bill
Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #17

Quote:
wouldn't drive the Puertacitos-Gonzaga road with ANYTHING on the penthouse top.
I learned a long time ago to make sure everything on the rack is tight, to stop every ~ 20 miles to check the rack, and have every bolt lock-tited as I broke more than one Yakama rack on that road in my old F250 4wd with the kayaks on Yakama racks on the fiberglass shell.

I am sure the "hullavator would not make it. There is just too much "play" in the system

The road has gotten so bad it now takes me ~ 5hrs from Puertocitos to Gonzaga.

We take that road ~ 3 times a year, I need to put the kayaks up there! Im going to be very disapointed in the SMB if I cant put the boats on the roof!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
FWIW I wouldn't drive the Puertacitos-Gonzaga road with ANYTHING on the penthouse top. I've driven that road a thousand times and have ruined all sorts of racks and appendages. Ask Scatter what he thinks about driving that road with a big load on the PH roof.
Bill
That road is especially bad. So, I guess it's a good test! If it can survive that road, it can survive anything.

It might look like lilting-soft dirt in photos, but the road south of Puertecitos is a beast. It's not like washboard where you can just air down and float over the undulations at high speed. The exposed rocks are large & randomly spaced. At any speed it's murder on the Sportsmobile, with its stiff suspension.

I'm guessing they've stopped regrading & repairing that road since they've been constructing a new replacement road.

Driving South from Puertecitos

-- Geoff
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm guessing they've stopped regrading & repairing that road since they've been constructing a new replacement road.
The last time that road was really "fixed" was after the big storm of 96.
It was being graded to the third questa in 03.

Last trip (xmas 08) I averaged 8 mph from the end of the new road 5 miles S of Puertocitos to Gonzaga... but my wife says "Ive lost my dirt road Mojo". It might have something to do with my steering drag link connector falling off at the 3rd cuesta south 3 trips ago.

From Rancho Grande to Chapala was newly graded with a grader in Dec 08 that Rancho Grande brought in from Mex 1 and I averaged 25 mph on that section.

We are headed down at the end of Oct, Im guessin 8mph in the new SMB.