Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350 View Post
You can adjust the Penthouse springs to help it go up with a load. But, I think 400# is too much load. Even if you could adjust it to work with that load, it would spring up so fast when empty that it may damage the mechanism.

I had to adjust my Penthouse springs when I put a 35# solar panel up there. 400# seems beyond the adjustment range of the springs. Again, the issue is adjusting the top springs for a fixed load, not a variable load.

You could try the Mac solution:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6789
He did say it would only go up 10" or so, so you may have to make corner support braces to support the top, add a block under the jack and repeat until it is all the way up. Then more permanant braces to secure the top:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7779

Another option could be to offload most or all of the weight before putting the top up.

Mike

How do you adjust the springs?

BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #42

Read the post just before your post and you'll see a link. Click it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #43

I have a manual top and bought a electric lift from sportsmobile 12 years ago. 2 solar panels aluminum light rack with 5 hella lights and a skybox loaded. Never any problems. I did have them install the four leg supports for safety.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378 View Post
I have a manual top and bought a electric lift from sportsmobile 12 years ago. 2 solar panels aluminum light rack with 5 hella lights and a skybox loaded. Never any problems. I did have them install the four leg supports for safety.
So, you had a manual top and had SMB install the lift after the fact?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #45

I followed the instructions (which I thought were quite good) for tensioning the springs on a manual top and found the following: the manual tops just aren't great for raising a load. Plan accordingly. Just my $.02
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #46

High top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor3633 View Post
I followed the instructions (which I thought were quite good) for tensioning the springs on a manual top and found the following: the manual tops just aren't great for raising a load. Plan accordingly. Just my $.02
Agreed. Hence, I chose a hard-top when selecting a van. It comes with trade-offs (can't drive thru General Sherman tree, or crate the vehicle), but I have fewer concerns about leaks, more warmth in winter (and what about raising or sleeping under the top with a big snow load?!), convenience (get in and stand right up), and comfort (like standing up to stretch when doing long distance drives! ). Oh, and parking garages are not part of my life. To each his own - I understand why most people want the pop-top, but the fixed roof works great for me.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
Agreed. Hence, I chose a hard-top when selecting a van. It comes with trade-offs (can't drive thru General Sherman tree, or crate the vehicle), but I have fewer concerns about leaks, more warmth in winter (and what about raising or sleeping under the top with a big snow load?!), convenience (get in and stand right up), and comfort (like standing up to stretch when doing long distance drives! ). Oh, and parking garages are not part of my life. To each his own - I understand why most people want the pop-top, but the fixed roof works great for me.
I always liked the raised top for the reasons you mention. Just looked through your album: you have one sharp rig!
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote