Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #11

Here are a couple pics of my outrigger setup..

It's been used for several years now...light, stiff..works great. The last shot was during fabrication.....here is what it looks like today...

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Here are a couple pics of my outrigger setup..

It's been used for several years now...light, stiff..works great. The last shot was during fabrication.....here is what it looks like today...
Very interesting. I never considered removing the center support. What dimension tubing (including thickness) are you using on the outriggers?

Obviously for a motorcycle pushing that weight further out can start to be problematic depending on how much you hang out there. In my case, the box was an afterthought that did not impede loading. So I mounted it higher than the approaching angle for the rack itself.

What made you put the box between the bumper and bike?
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:00 AM   #13

The box is an Aluminess jerry can tray that I bought used from another member here......so I took the leftovers from the Chinese moto hauler and made the receiver mount for the box. It was crazy easy, kinda made for each other. It plugged into the receiver completely separate from the moto hauler.

That Aluminess tray has since morphed into a DIY swingarm box.

The supports are 1.5" x .125" wall I think..it's been a while. When I designed and fabricated my rear bumper, swing arms etc. I made longer supports out of .093" wall since I had to clear the storage box and spare on the back of the van and wanted to see if I could make the moto hauler lighter. This proved to be under designed after hitting an uneven road surface with the moto on the hauler and bending the supports.

The latest config uses the original .125" wall supports sleeved with some 1.25" material. This accomplishes 2 things; it spaces the rack further from the rear of the van so the bike can clear the box and tire and it doubles the wall thickness (sectional area) right where the supports go into the receivers, where they bend.

I have stops in the receivers so that I can slide in the carrier without having to align the holes to put in the clevis pins. When the carrier supports are bottomed against the stops the holes line up.

A bit heavier but pretty bulletproof at this point.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #14

18 inch extender from Etrailer

I had the same concerns. I purchased an extender from e trailer made by Curt. The tongue weight on that is 350 and I've put my KTM 530 on that which weighs 245 dry. The aluminess bumper tongue weight on the front bumper is about 100 if I remember correctly, but the rear on my 2007 e350 is over 500. And it does the trick. That and the addition of a stabilizer to ensure it doesn't bounce too much...but I went over some sketchy roads in Baja putting it to a decent test.
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:12 AM   #15

Don't overthink this, you will be fine. I've carried various motorcycles (up to 530lb) on the back of a vehicle for probably 30K miles so far and it is really simple and uneventful. As long as your vehicle can handle the weight, and your extender is of good quality any motorcycle rack will be fine.

Last week I actually did a 600 mile trip with a 460lb motorcycle on the back hitch AND a 350lb motorcycle on the front hitch. I certainly need to be careful with the turns and evasive maneuvers but no issues overall.

The best hitch tightener I've ever used is this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fjefman is offline   Reply With Quote