Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #41

Re: Motorcycle Carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Basically looking for a motorcycle rack to clear my spare and soon to be aluminess box on the back (replacing the tray). Can this be done with hitch extenders or does this put too much strain on it? Will be carrying a 200lb bike on the back (Yamaha WR250R).

I am having Joe Hauler build a custom M/C carrier for me to clear the Aluminess box and gas tray. It will also have a spot to carry a few gas cans. Was at his shop about 3 weeks ago for measurements and he helped me install a front hitch on the van as well. He has a nice shop, an engineering background, rides and has built a lot of production and custom racks which makes me feel much more comfortable. He can also build racks to hold street bikes and quads (check his site for photos). I expect to receive it in the next few weeks so will see how it fits. He could probably use the same specs and build one for other folks with the Aluminess bumper and box.

http://www.joehauler.com/
Eric

Please post pictures when you get it.

Thanks Craig

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #42

Quote:

Has anyone used any of the motorcycle carriers with the spare tire and aluminess box on the back of their van? Mine has both.
Yes, but my receiver is rated for 6,000 pounds of tongue weight, so even with the extension required to clear the tire and carrier, I don't have to worry about overloaded the receiver. A stock receiver would be overloaded in this situation.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:

Has anyone used any of the motorcycle carriers with the spare tire and aluminess box on the back of their van? Mine has both.
Yes, but my receiver is rated for 6,000 pounds of tongue weight, so even with the extension required to clear the tire and carrier, I don't have to worry about overloaded the receiver. A stock receiver would be overloaded in this situation.
Mine came with the Ford towing package. Looking at the original window sticker it says HD trlr tow class II/III/IV. The sticker on the actual hitch says max tongue load is 500 lbs. Why would they put such a small rating on an E350 super duty with a V-10? If was truly a class IV as the original window sticker suggests it should handle up to 1200 lbs tongue weight to classify as a class IV.

Something is not right? Is it the sticker on the hitch or the original window sticker that came with the van??
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:

Mine came with the Ford towing package. Looking at the original window sticker it says HD trlr tow class II/III/IV. The sticker on the actual hitch says max tongue load is 500 lbs. Why would they put such a small rating on an E350 super duty with a V-10? If was truly a class IV as the original window sticker suggests it should handle up to 1200 lbs tongue weight to classify as a class IV.

Something is not right? Is it the sticker on the hitch or the original window sticker that came with the van??
When I purchased my weight distribution & sway hitch set-up for my trailer from the Tork Lift company, they told me my factory Ford receiver was a weak link in my set-up with the 500lb tongue weight limit.
He also said they tend to crack(!) when used at or over their weight limit.
I was surprised to hear that.

A friend of mine had his KTM on a receiver hitch m/c carrier traveling through Mexico. He hit a bump big enough the suspension compressed enough to let the tie down straps come unhooked. His motorcycle went down the road.
You can see how that could happen in the above pic of the sportbike. Not that it will...
Old 01-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #45

nice to know tork lift is in my own back yard! I will have to check them out. I rarely tow with the SMB however so the idea of spending a ton on a new hitch is not that appealing to me right now. Approximate cost of new hitch system?
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
A friend of mine had his KTM on a receiver hitch m/c carrier traveling through Mexico. He hit a bump big enough the suspension compressed enough to let the tie down straps come unhooked. His motorcycle went down the road.
You can see how that could happen in the above pic of the sportbike. Not that it will...
Had that happen to a friend of mine.

1st change - add a bungee cord from eye to eye on the tiedowns. Even if the suspension collapses, the bungee will keep the tiedown in place

2nd change - strap the wheels to the track so they can't bounce out.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #47

Quote:
nice to know tork lift is in my own back yard! I will have to check them out. I rarely tow with the SMB however so the idea of spending a ton on a new hitch is not that appealing to me right now. Approximate cost of new hitch system?
I did not price that. I felt it was a sales line on the cracking receiver bit, although my trailer tongue weight is 520 lbs and I am pushing it.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #48

Quote:

It is rated for 1000 pound if using a weight distribution hitch. Nearly every production truck out there has a 500 pound limit when using a weight carrying hitch, instead of a weight distribution hitch. Which is why aftermarket hitch receivers are so common.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
That's why you should cut off the S hooks on the tiedowns and replace then with carabiners. Also, if you use a fork brace, you can tie the bike down securely without worry of it bouncing on it's own suspension, or blowing a fork seal.

Carabiners on tiedowns, soft-loops round forks, fork-brace.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #50
Site Team

Garage
Re:

I just picked up a nice trailer for a grand that folds up and stores nice so its out of the way. I also have a moto hauler and loved it when I had my taco but its now a bit more work to get the skid plate up on it then to jack it up. I tell its not going to drag on any driveways like before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOT
I don't know that I'd bother building a trailer, as they are pretty reasonable new. I have a little 4x8 with a 3500lb axle that does a good job. I have been wondering if I should let it go to make room in the garage. I don't have the heart to let it go just yet.
As far as the motorcycle racks....the ones that came with this unit is pretty heavy duty & I'm sure they will carry whatever I wish to put on them. I think that they may have been built be Reunel Bumpers. I'm not sure of that but I know they built both front/back bumpers with matching recievers & paint. The racks match it to a T.
Well any case I wish you well in any of your ventures & wish to see you out on the trail.............................WOOT

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote