Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #71

Re: Motorcycle Carriers

How are you going to work the tail lights so they can still be seen? You don't want someone using your rack as a crumple zone in a rear ender because they couldn't see your stop lights or turn signals.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #72

Four prong off of trailer wiring and lights on the back of the rack. Done a million times and already installed on the rack as it comes from the factory. Includes revers lights...
Cowboywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #73

At some point doesnt it make sense to get a small trailer. We have many motorcycles and a front and rear hitch on the SMB but it is easier and safer to have a small trailer.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboywanderer
Of course SMB's blanket answer is "500 lbs only"., but when I get Jonathan off the record he thinks it should be substantially higher than that,
I've had a KTM 990 Adventure, KTM 950 Superenduro & BMW GS 800 on mine, (not at the same time. ). All those bikes are between 500 and 600lbs wet. I usually only have a KTM 300xc or 525exc on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBDAD
At some point doesnt it make sense to get a small trailer. We have many motorcycles and a front and rear hitch on the SMB but it is easier and safer to have a small trailer.
This. My original idea was to have 2 out back and 1 out front as I'm usually taking 3 bikes with me, but after a lot of playing, I found a trailer was the best option for more than 1 bike. I was reluctant to get a trailer as I've not had much luck with single axle's in the past and dual axle on a small trailer is just silly. In the end I got a Kendon 2 rail street bike trailer and added a 3rd rail. As trailer go is way over priced but it tow's beautifully, none of the stability or speed issues I've had in the passed. Only problem is when I drive through CA for Baja trips, speed limit with trailer is just so slow.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #75

Thanks for the feedback SheepShagger!

It sounds like you have about the same fleet as I do, and it is good to hear you have had at least limited success with it. I am only going to haul two bikes if we are going somewhere "tame" with the family. We usually do about three or four trips out a year with the family, some of them will fully utilize the SMB's off road capabilities (i.e. Moab, Colorado, etc.), and then the trips that we would have the bikes on would be more family gathering trips like heading out to Cape Cod, California coast towns, and in state trips with the wife's family (they own a couple of camp grounds and we always gather there for family functions a few times a year).

My 990 ADV is loaded for bear, but my 950 SE, and the F 800 are bare bones cruisers, with the F800 having an Akropovic pipe (-10lbs over stock) and a tank bag and that's it. The F800 plus the Zuma will come in right at the limits of the stock rack, and I am hoping that with the mods it will be solid as a rock.

Regardless, at this point I am going to get the rig home first before I try and do any epic trips with it. The fabricator that is working on it at SMB West has a 450 EXC that he is going to use for mock up, and will make sure that everything clears and locks up before it heads out.

I will definitely be taking our enclosed trailer if we plan on taking anything other than the scooter and a bike. My aversion to the trailer is simply the logistics of it on trips where we are going to be in tight lots, locations, taking a ferry, etc. in these instances having the bikes having off of the back will be a nice option to have available.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #76

Quote:

I thought about going class 4 or 5, but I would still like the multiple contact points that the three class III hitches provide to try and help minimize sway and torsional stress that may occur going down the road.
OK, but do those extra receivers attach directly to the frame, or to the receiver? If only to the receiver, I could see some potential problems, since you won't be strengthening the attachment to the frame at all. Class 5 hitch have much longer "hangers" or side plates, which puts a smaller moment on the receiver, and therefore less tension on the rear-most bolt which attach it all to the frame.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
Quote:
Of course SMB's blanket answer is "500 lbs only"., but when I get Jonathan off the record he thinks it should be substantially higher than that,
I've had a KTM 990 Adventure, KTM 950 Superenduro & BMW GS 800 on mine, (not at the same time. ). All those bikes are between 500 and 600lbs wet. I usually only have a KTM 300xc or 525exc on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBDAD
This. My original idea was to have 2 out back and 1 out front as I'm usually taking 3 bikes with me, but after a lot of playing, I found a trailer was the best option for more than 1 bike. I was reluctant to get a trailer as I've not had much luck with single axle's in the past and dual axle on a small trailer is just silly. In the end I got a Kendon 2 rail street bike trailer and added a 3rd rail. As trailer go is way over priced but it tow's beautifully, none of the stability or speed issues I've had in the passed. Only problem is when I drive through CA for Baja trips, speed limit with trailer is just so slow.
I've tried a few different setups and have some to the same conclusion. For more than one bike, a small utility or moto trailer is just the better option.

On a hitch carrier, I regularly carry an xr400 that weighs about 290lbs. It is easily doable and not a problem if most of driving is on highway. But I do notice the weight out back in how the SMB handles. Having all that weight behind the rear axle does mess with the van's handling and makes me drive more carefully.

But I've found the biggest hassle with hitch carriers is driving off road. Unless you have zero play in the hitch, that load is going to bounce around a lot. I can get mine very secure, but the movement is still noticeable and not pleasant.

Good luck.
R
Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #78

Thanks for the input EM Rider.

I've been doing a few calculations, and I think I am still going to have them go ahead and build the original rack, but I am also going to have a single built at the same time and maybe a single for up front with the Zuma. I am hoping I have enough room up top where I could put two of the kids bikes up on the rack on top of the van, and then one bike up front and one bike out back.

My thoughts are that I would never off road the SMB with bikes hanging off of it, and the bikes tagging along would be reserved for trips where the SMB is being used more like a conversion van for the family to travel in than a base camp for camping int the outback. All of the commentary has definitely been food for thought and has me exploring other options at this point as well.

Thanks again for all of the input!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #79

carringb-

I am gonna call Jonathan and the fabricator on Monday - you definitely raise a valid point on construction and rigidity, and if I can go three class 5 mounting points I would feel even that much better!

As stated earlier, I am going with commercial grade airbags out back to assist with the springs for suspension duty, so I am hoping I can use the system like I have in a few of my mobile labs that I have for one of my companies to get the rear pumped up to where it won't have as much of that adverse effect that often arises from changed steering and axle angles when the rear of the vehicle is riding at or near the bump stops. If it can't be done safely though it just won't be done.

Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #80

Quote:
carringb-

As stated earlier, I am going with commercial grade airbags out back to assist with the springs for suspension duty, so I am hoping I can use the system like I have in a few of my mobile labs that I have for one of my companies to get the rear pumped up to where it won't have as much of that adverse effect that often arises from changed steering and axle angles when the rear of the vehicle is riding at or near the bump stops. If it can't be done safely though it just won't be done.

Thanks again!
Air bags are a must for the big bikes, I forgot about that. I can't feel the small bikes back there, but the 990Adv & 950SE I sure can. Using the bags to level it out makes a huge difference in driving as the caster angle on the van get's changed a lot by the rear end height. Also a backup camera mounted high helps to keep a eye on things.

Can't say I've ever had an issue with the hitch carrier off road as mine is mounted in 3 places and doesn't move. Plus with bikes the van doesn't ever go that far down any trail as that's why the bikes are their. The trailer on the other hand, I seem to drag that over everything ever time I even think about hitting some dirt.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote