Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Motorcycle Carriers

I am thinking of buying a motorcycle carrier that fits into the trailer hitch to carry my CB200 around and if I ever find one cheap enough CT110. Anyone had any experience with them. I am somewhat wary strapping a motorcycle on the back like that but most I have seen are rated for 400 lbs and up.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #2

One in Classifieds
Old 03-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #3

saw that, they also come up quite often on craigslist in the Los Angeles area, I am curios if anyone has used one and how sturdy they are.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs
saw that, they also come up quite often on craigslist in the Los Angeles area, I am curios if anyone has used one and how sturdy they are.
Carriers like the moto jack rack and ultimate MX hauler are very solid and sturdy. I've carried by bike on the SMB for thousands of miles on my MJR with no issues. Key is to eliminate any free play where the receiver goes into the hitch. I don't feel comfortable with the stability of the roll on type hitch carriers, but that is just my opinion.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #5

I recently purchased an MX Hauler. If you have the Aluminess bumper, you'll need a hitch extender. The jack will crush the license plate light in the most upright position. I just hauled my CRF250x to Johnson Valley from the San Francisco bay area. I had to tighten the hitch bolt a couple of times during my trip. Overall, I'm happy with the hauler.
armlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #6

I bought my van used & it came with 3 custom made motorcycle racks. One in the front & two in the rear (I have 3 recievers on the rear bumper, so the first rack mounts to thoes & the other rack slides into the rear of the fist rack). Now I haven't hauled any bikes on the van at this point but plan to in the near future. The previous owner told me that he had no problem hauling all three dirt bikes on this rig. Now you must know that the rear springs are air bagged for added support.
Now as far as motorcycle racks....I had seen a nice rack at Camping World that was sturdy & adjustable to length. (I didn't look too hard knowing that I had mine) I do understand that not all bikes are the same length or weight so keeping this in mind, NOTHING beats having a custom rack made to fit your specific bike. It is costly but after seeing these racks I wouldn't go with the store bought rack. You put alot of money into your scooters to trust it to a flimsy support structure. I'm a Triumph man myself & I wouldn't want to see mine laying in the foreground of the rear view.
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #7

Don't think I would want to put my Triumph on a rack, I think it is somewhere around 500 pounds or so. I am thinking about building a utility trailer for the motorcycles, bicycles, and or firewood or generator.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #8

I don't know that I'd bother building a trailer, as they are pretty reasonable new. I have a little 4x8 with a 3500lb axle that does a good job. I have been wondering if I should let it go to make room in the garage. I don't have the heart to let it go just yet.
As far as the motorcycle racks....the ones that came with this unit is pretty heavy duty & I'm sure they will carry whatever I wish to put on them. I think that they may have been built be Reunel Bumpers. I'm not sure of that but I know they built both front/back bumpers with matching recievers & paint. The racks match it to a T.
Well any case I wish you well in any of your ventures & wish to see you out on the trail.............................WOOT
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #9

Don't build a trailer! Steel is outragous right now. I just built a 3-place MC trailer and it would have been much cheaper for me to buy used (not to mention time spent (build was R&R for me, however)).
Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #10

Would you mind posting a pic of how your bikes mount?

I too have 3 hitch recievers in the back of the van. I had a tray using two of them - long story, no more tray, but I had a full size street bike on that baby.

I hang dirtbikes all over my van, front and rear, and am really looking for the perfect combo. I ride, and my two kids are pretty into it. I am thinking of shedding the dually truck, so it's time to get creative with the van.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOT
I bought my van used & it came with 3 custom made motorcycle racks. One in the front & two in the rear (I have 3 recievers on the rear bumper, so the first rack mounts to thoes & the other rack slides into the rear of the fist rack). Now I haven't hauled any bikes on the van at this point but plan to in the near future. The previous owner told me that he had no problem hauling all three dirt bikes on this rig. Now you must know that the rear springs are air bagged for added support.
Now as far as motorcycle racks....I had seen a nice rack at Camping World that was sturdy & adjustable to length. (I didn't look too hard knowing that I had mine) I do understand that not all bikes are the same length or weight so keeping this in mind, NOTHING beats having a custom rack made to fit your specific bike. It is costly but after seeing these racks I wouldn't go with the store bought rack. You put alot of money into your scooters to trust it to a flimsy support structure. I'm a Triumph man myself & I wouldn't want to see mine laying in the foreground of the rear view.
Windzup is offline   Reply With Quote