Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: When not on the road, where do you park (or plan to park) your SMB?
Residential driveway or adjacent pad (uncovered) 32 50.00%
In garage (yes it fits) 13 20.31%
On public street 6 9.38%
Uncovered on property (large parcel) 3 4.69%
Under unattached carport or outbuilding 8 12.50%
At RV storage facility 2 3.13%
Other 0 0%
No time to park, it’s always on the road 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #1

Parking Poll

In planning for my SMB I need to consider how I am going to store it. I’d be interested on hearing what others do.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #2

I took out the pool light switch and put in an outlet so I can shore power and run the fantastic fan to help keep the inside relatively cool, but I feel guilty as heck leaving it out in the sun here. If I wasn't in a rental home or it wasn't the end of the summer I'd definitly find some coverage or garage style storage.

The worst part is not being able to keep anything in the van or load for camping until late the night before because it gets so hot.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #3

My preliminary concept

This is what I am palanning to do with my back yard. I have a large corner lot (lucky in that respect) so I can access the back yard from the side street. Planning on taking over about a third of the yard for the SMB and a small metal shed support structure.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #4

SMB parking

Sportsmobile parking at the Casa Eduardo is definitely a problem. Like Jage, my SMB is out in the driveway in the hot sun, and with over a month of days in the 90s and 100s, we couldn't keep much of any food in it between trips, except for a few powdered drinks. I learned as well to empty the grey water tank out in the sticks before it stewed in the hot sun for week in the driveway. Yuck!

I've thought of putting up a carport shelter for the smaller backyard driveway, but that parking pad is inclined enough that I can't put up the penthouse when loading the vehicle. Also, in our extremely windy environment, I'm not sure i would trust a fabric type carport to last very long.

Still, I might just go the backyard carport route to avoid sun, heat and hail on the SMB.

Also vandalism is a concern. In July, during one of those roasting hot nights (with no AC and all the house windows open) I heard a loud metaliic PING coming from the front driveway at 2:30AM. I put on some clothes fast and stumbled out to find that some cretin had shot my SMB with a pellet gun on the right side, thankfully missing any window. Our town has had a rash of vehicle vandalism with slashed tires and shot out windows this summer, and it looks like my incident was just one of many.

Possibly the carport would make it more difficult for a driveby shooting.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
mine is parked in front of my neighbors house or in front of my driveway depending on parking. it is pretty tuff parking in our neighborhood i have two neighbors with garages that use them for storage and have 3 - 4 cars on the street.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #6

Garage
OK, question for all of us who live in the snowbelt and aren't blessed w/ a garage or one big enough to park their SMB, especially those of us w/ 4x4's.

Here in UT, I have a pretty large driveway/parking lot and 'Moe' lives there quite comfortably most of the yr but this is going to be his first winter outside. The PO had a tall enough garage, we don't (at least right now...the wife wanted a garage built this summer, I wanted the van - guess who won!!) Garage will be built next summer.

anywho, I have drained all tanks and pumped a bunch of cheapo vodka thru to winterize everything. Van has been washed/waxed recently. Anything I should try and do to further winterize it for being outside in the UT snows this winter? As much as I would love to drive it regularly, it won't happen this next couple of months w/ our first little girl due anytime now. I do try to take it out once a week or so even if it is for only 40-50 miles running some errands etc... just want to keep batteries/fluids/seals nice and topped off and lubed. I'm just a little bit leary of letting her hang out in the snow all winter - I havent had any other leak issues in the last month or two, I think my previous leaking came from the angle i was parked along w/ one of the PH windows being unzipped or not fully tucked under the PH roof and water being able to sneak its way in.

Has anyone in the snowbelt tried/used one of the carport type of shelters over the SMB? If so, what size did you get, does it hold up OK w/ wind/snow?

From tonights weather sounds like winter may make an appearance here in the mtns this week, lets see if it sticks. Today was 55 and the mtn biking was off the hook!

Thanks guys
Cheers,

D

Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #7

Parking....

Since I too am in-between residences at this time, my SMB sits outside in Southern Ca. The home behind mine is a bank owned home. (Go figure) but the nice thing about it is I am able to park in the oak tree covered drive-way with out much hassles. I purchased a fairly cheap van cover on ebay and just keep it covered when not in use. Putting on the cover takes a definite technique! But all in all I figure its a pretty cheap garage for now. B.T.W., the Aluminess bumpers come very much in handy when putting on the cover or surf boards. I really appreciate the storage as well!
4:10 detroit locker
6 inch lift,
man. pop top
Trojans, nerf bars, Tire rack
Yakima surf racks,
Very Very cool looking van
curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:45 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
For the 19% who garage their SMBs, if you have a propane tank fitted, does it pose a safety risk should the propane system decide to vent itself? (The propane system is designed to vent propane to the atmosphere in case of trouble). I can just imagine my garage filling up with propane and someone draws hot water for a bath upstairs, the gas hot water heater flames on, and BOOM.

Comments?
Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #9

Well I can officially change my answer to garaged now.

I personally wouldn't worry about the garage going boom. But mine is detached, drafty enough, and there is no ignition source that would occur where I wouldn't smell the propane first.

I also wonder how much propane it would take to explode a garage sized space that is enough to garage the SMB. Then I found this: One injured in NW Bend propane explosion

Which seems to say that if one of my propane stove containers leaks my whole garage could explode. I don't think twice about storing them in the garage, and I've had a number leak after removal from the stove or lantern or whatever. I'm not sure I buy the story in the Bend paper either- how many attempts does it take to fill a garage with enough propane, without ignition, to blow it up? How stupid do you have to be to keep flicking your bic when the propane is making your eyes water?

Still, even if a canister can blow up my garage, I'm not worried about it. After all you store large quantities of gasoline in your garage in all kinds of containers (the car, the mower, a gas can) and any of those could leak, fill the garage with fumes and blow up your house as well.

If you're really worried you can install a propane detector. There should be one in your van, I'm guessing they make them for other applications (homes etc) with the detector in the garage and the alarm in the house.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
Site Team

A garage for your SMB, no wonder you moved. I'm jealous.

Herb