Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #21
Site Team

Re: Pics of what you tow with your Sportsmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Awesome! Didn't expect to find jdm enthusiast on a smb forum.
Not in the same league, but does a '95 del Sol VTEC count? Owned it for 5-6 years and though it was basically stock, it was a fun car to drive.

Herb

Old 07-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #22

I wish it were easier to get one of those registered in CA. Sorry to derail your thread, but you're a lucky guy to be able to have one of those (even though its for sale). It seems that a lot of the SMB guys are "car" guys. I guess you almost have to be to want a full size van and mod it the way they are.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #23

We do like to tinker
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Not in the same league, but does a '95 del Sol VTEC count? Owned it for 5-6 years and though it was basically stock, it was a fun car to drive.

Herb
It was fun for you so that's all that matters
Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #25

Below is my new toy. I actually had a Toy Hauler on order with Eclipse, but they couldn't deliver in a timely manner so that was cancelled. Plus, after more consideration, the Toy Hauler had too many compromises. Mainly poor insulation and less off-road worthy that other trailers. For boating and biking, it works out better using the van's roof anyways for shuttle reasons.

I ended up getting a regular Travel Trailer. Eventually I'll either add an Idaho Tote to the back for hauling a couple snowmobiles, or make a bigger/stronger roof rack for the van and put them up top. The trailer is made by Outside RV, which is the sister company to Northwood (Arctic/Dessert Fox trailers). It uses the same "off-road approved" chassis as the Arctic Fox trailers, which means a much taller frame than normal, full gusseting at suspension points, over-sized brakes, and Load-range E tires. It's also 4-season rated like the A/F trailers. I'll probably add a hitch to the back so we can tow the boat we're on trips in other western states that allow double towing.

BTW - I'm not camping averse. The van is great if its myself and one other person, and only if I'm only doing one activity. Otherwise, there's simply not enough space to lock up all the gear inside unless I pulled all the back seats. Also there were I couple time last winter when I spent the entire weekend wet and cold. But the main reason is so I don't have to waste time setting up camp each stop. With the trailer, you hit a few switches, and that's it. Plus, having a full size shower is nice. It holds over 100 gallons, so it'll go quite a while off the grid. It also has decent battery capacity and solar, plus the van gives it a good charge each drive. It's big though. Specs said 37'7". It's actually 39'. It's got almost 3' of ground clearance, which means its really tall too. I haven't even measured it yet. It tows really well, especially considering its size.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.JPG   photo 2.JPG  
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #26

Garage

^^^ that thing is awesome! thats a freaking home away from home. everytime i read about your adventures, your rigs loaded to the hilt...along with everything else. do you have an entourage of friends, a huge family, or a mix of both? either way, you (and whatever 100 people you haul around) do it in style man!

Quote:
ya dude, love all cars, but the imports seem to have the best longevity when they are actually used. 10+ years ago we ended up finding a contact in osaka and a few of our guys went over and foraged enough crap to send back containers full of jdm parts. was mostly honda type r crap cause thats what sells here, but they managed to stuff a few nissan pieces in there too. one of them being the only laurel in the states...at least back then. dunno if thats changed or not, but its a really neat car.

the story: http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/article ... Laurel1976

your car looks amazing, and nice background story! good to see you stuck with twins. seems like most go with the token big single. cause you know, gotta have that big single when you go to cars and coffee once a month and pop the hood so the local kids can drool... we do have one very sick maroon r33 gtr (with the same exact wheels as that black stagea above) here that my old boss has been wrenching on for quite a while. its done a few track days at miller in slc and has right around 650 to the groud on some upgraded twins. is normally just a dd for the owner these days though. modlist is endless, but it is such a beautiful car. heard it on the dyno week before last, something about them forced l6's at high rpms....just gives me goosbumps! miss being around that caliber of cars on the daily

i could go on and on, but ive derailed this thread enough as it is, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #27

My Airstream (for the adults) and my son sleeps in the SMB (complete with wet bath, sat tv, wii, etc)

Attached Thumbnails
SMBAS.jpg  
travelguy2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #28

While I don't have a SMB yet, it's coming soon! I bought a Quigley-converted cargo van last year - BajaSportsmobile has done the FOX Shox Ride Improvement Package (thanks, Ramsey!) and I'm heading to Fresno next week for a motorized, painted penthouse!
Anyway, here are our Harleys in the trailer!

Attached Thumbnails
Van&Trailer.jpg   Bikes In Trailer.jpg  
SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy2500
My Airstream (for the adults) and my son sleeps in the SMB (complete with wet bath, sat tv, wii, etc)
Love the look of airstreams.

I would choose to sleep in that too.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 AM   #30

Good call on the electric pop top Silver.

Lots of really nice trailers in this thread