Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Rack 'Em Up (or, A Collective Bump to Bike Rack Threads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
My two cents is that I really like having the bikes on the aluminess swing arm. You don't have to take them off when camping. The con is that they are up pretty high so I usually use a small stepladder to make loading and unloading easier. The pro is that they are high enough up that they don't attract the same road dust that a hitch mount does.

My vote is for the 1upUSA which is the only rack (to my knowledge) that doesn't touch any part of the bike except the rubber. I also have a kuat which is pretty nice but I prefer the 1up for a rack where you don't have to take the wheels off, which is pretty handy for bikes with thru-axel forks.
You and Phil make good salesmen. We're still going to hang them off the front on our next trip to see how that works but I imagine we'll head the 1up route by the time our summer wanderings begin.

Thanks to both of you.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #12

Don, have you looked at the Kuat? It's aluminum and while the trays are less burly than the 1upUSA they are substantial enough. Since your going to run it on the front you might want something that is easy to take on and off. I have the Kuat Sherpa for my VW TDI Golf and it only weights 25 pounds so I take it off and on all the time. In contrast, the older Yakima Holdup I have is 50+ and heavy enough that once installed in the hitch I rarely mess with it.

Joe
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Don, have you looked at the Kuat? It's aluminum and while the trays are less burly than the 1upUSA they are substantial enough. Since your going to run it on the front you might want something that is easy to take on and off. I have the Kuat Sherpa for my VW TDI Golf and it only weights 25 pounds so I take it off and on all the time. In contrast, the older Yakima Holdup I have is 50+ and heavy enough that once installed in the hitch I rarely mess with it.

Joe
I like the burliness of the 1up and feel a need for a margin of security. We don't do boulders, at least not intentionally, but rough roads, washboard if unavoidable (i.e., that gawdawful stretch south of McGaffey on FR50 heading to the more remote Mtn biking section out that way--you may know it), etc. have racked our patience so far. The front mount is a trial. I don't think we'll like it but it's worth a try. I imagine they'll end up on top of the Aluminess swing arm.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
I like the burliness of the 1up and feel a need for a margin of security. We don't do boulders, at least not intentionally, but rough roads, washboard if unavoidable (i.e., that gawdawful stretch south of McGaffey on FR50 heading to the more remote Mtn biking section out that way--you may know it), etc. have racked our patience so far. The front mount is a trial. I don't think we'll like it but it's worth a try. I imagine they'll end up on top of the Aluminess swing arm.

Don
You probably already know this but the swing arm will require individual trays, similar to what goes on a roof rack. You can't retrofit the hitch-mount version.

And yes, those roads are a bit rough. Great riding though. I'm hoping that area stays open as I fear Flagstaff forests will be closed by May. Or, should be. Save the forest from ourselves.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
You probably already know this but the swing arm will require individual trays, similar to what goes on a roof rack. You can't retrofit the hitch-mount version.
That's what you have, no? I think my configuration would be similar to yours--two trays on an Aluminess bike carrier swing arm. I cut one of the 4 tubes on the Aluminess because I couldn't mount my Yakima fork mounts; I hope that won't be fatal.

Quote:
And yes, those roads are a bit rough. Great riding though. I'm hoping that area stays open as I fear Flagstaff forests will be closed by May. Or, should be. Save the forest from ourselves.
No word or rumors on closures here but I'm sure they're coming. We may head to Gallup in April. I don't think anything will close until late May or after Memorial Day. That seems to be USFS's preferred date so they don't hurt the local businesses too much. However, the folks I meet who are interagency or firefighter types say it's coming and won't be nice. I'm sure the same is true in AZ.

NOAA issued its Apr-Jun drought forecast today. It's a no-change scenario: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...o_summary.html

Don

Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
That's what you have, no? I think my configuration would be similar to yours--two trays on an Aluminess bike carrier swing arm. I cut one of the 4 tubes on the Aluminess because I couldn't mount my Yakima fork mounts; I hope that won't be fatal.

Don
Yes, same thing. And the main reason I went with the 1up. The tray has unlimited adjustment for the clamps. And it's made out of extruded aluminum. It is super strong which is good because there's at least 18 or 20" of unsupported length overhanging the spare tire with the aluminess design. The difference in burliness of the 1UP tray as compared to Yakima/Thule is astounding.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Going with 1up; will post progress reports. Meanwhile, these guys are proud of their racks but I'm not sure a 6x6 truck with ample clearance on a flat though muddy road counts as off-roading:

[youtube:1ikegpea]

Old 06-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

1UPs installed and used. We went w/hitch mount and are carrying it in front. Very impressed, rock solid on rough road, 99% of movement is with vehicle. Minor movement on their own. The biggest problem seems to be prop wash from passing trucks on Interstates. A bit touchy for night driving, have to put a cushion under my butt to see over bikes. When our lottery ticket comes in, we'll probably replace the Yakima fork mounts on our Aluminess rack in the back. (Joyce says you gotta buy a ticket to win. Is that true?) Pics follow:

At rest:

Deployed:

Access mode, on location in Flag

Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #19

On location That's good.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #20

I decided to add a hitch rack to supplement the two bike racks I have on the Aluminess box in the back. I wanted a 3 bike rack so I could carry 5 total without climbing up to the roof to mount one. I decided on the Thule Helium Aero 3. I prefer racks that don't touch the frame but I decided the light weight & small folded size of this rack would worked best for me this time. I also plan on adding a fat bike to the "quiver" soon so this rack will hold that with no problems.

Tried it out on the front hitch but didn't like it there so I moved it to the rear. With a hitch extender it clears the Deluxe box & also allows the door of the box to open. Folded down I can access all doors in the back. Haven't used it on the road yet but it doesn't move at all in the hitch when I try & move it by hand.

On the front:

On the rear: