Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #31

Garage
Re: Rack 'Em Up (or, A Collective Bump to Bike Rack Threads)

http://www.electricrider.com/country-co ... er-3kw.htm
Sorry could not steal pic.
Time to Modify that bike.
Back to racks

pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:58 AM   #32

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
I'd like to get a wheel on setup. I have a folding Montague Paratrooper which doesn't have a downtube. Looking for something that attaches to the wheel like the Thule Sidearm or 1UPUSA that TLG mentioned.
definitely limits your selection, but cool scoot...

the yakima equivalent of the sidearm is the same exact price. only upside i see to it is the yakima setup will come with the right bar mounts. thats the kinda shit you get nickle and dimed to death for. when i was looking for trays i saw all of them available on cl locally and all were at least half the price as new, as expected. i live is a very bicycle oriented town, so that stuff comes up a lot here.

i remember a buddy stopping by one day and had a setup that attached to the crankarm. id never seen that setup and asked him how he liked it. he said it worked well, but i poked around yakimas site and it doesnt look like they offer that setup anymore. so no idea if it was worth buying or not, but it was called the anklebiter. might work for your application if you can source one.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01
Looks good! I like that it's easily removable.

Off topic, but what size pelican case is that on your swing out?
The case is a 1690. I love it. Water tight, big enough for all my junk, etc.
More info here http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtop...=7146&start=60
Old 10-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Just picked up this top of box aluminess bike support. What type of bike rack would you guys recommend? Thule Sidearm 594XT are $199 each! Seems a bit overpriced to me. Any other suggestions?

I just switched from Thule Sidearms to 1Up racks on my box and am very happy with them. I got one with a fat bike conversion to fit my Pugsley wheels. Not cheap either but they will last me a long time by the looks of them.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #35

Here's how we deal with bikes here in mountain bike Mecca( the north shore)
4 bike local made north shore rack
Very beefy

Old 12-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #36

Hi All.

i am in the process of messing with different configurations for carrying bikes on the rear of our van and wanted to see if anyone had done anything similar with the yakima towers and mini-bars.

1- I installed a oneup tray on top of the mini yakima bars i installed in mini-tracks on the top of the deluxe box. The oneup tray is quite heavy, and i have to put it considerably off-center for the tray to not hit the corner of the van when opening the doors fully. The Yakima bars are only 16" apart, which is my concern. may be good for only one bike.

2- I added a 14" no-rise hitch extender to my rear receiver in order to be able to use a Kuat 4 bike carrier. I am concerned about the departure angle. I realize currently it will not work for any off-roading, but may work for roadtrips. The rear of the bike carrier is 69" from the rear doors. I was considering using a 12" hitch extender that has a 2nd receiver for accessories about 6" above the receiver for towing a trailer. i am hoping that 12" ext will be enough if I go that route. See below.

3- There is significant play where the hitch extender goes into my receiver. I tried a blue ox hitch stabilizer, but there is not enough clearance between the van receiver and the rear bumper above it for it to fit, so I used a basic u-bolt type stabilizer that I could get to fit, but still have considerable side-to-side play in the connection. Does anyone know of a more bomber hitch stabilizer that may work in this confined space?

Thanks for any and all advice or suggestions!

Steven
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2870.jpg   IMG_2876.jpg   IMG_2879.jpg  
steven3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #37

sorry- didn't mean to include the photo at the top of the post.

was able to edit
Old 12-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #38
tlg

Garage

Steven, not sure if the Blue Ox you used was the Blue Ox Hitch Receiver Immobilizer II or not. I have the same set up (Kuat on a 14" hitch extension) and was also dealing with too much play (pic earlier in this thread). The Hitch Receiver Immobilizer II was the only one I found that took both vertical and horizontal movement out of the equation. Purchased at Etrailer (Item BX88224).
Old 12-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #39

yes, I tried the blue ox immobilizer II, but i could not install it due to clearance issues shown in the 3rd photo. The play is coming from where the hitch extender goes into the receiver under the bumper of the van, and there is not much room between the receiver and the rear bumper above.
Does your rear kuat ever have clearance issues when making a quick transition to a steep uphill? does your hitch extender have any rise to it?
thx
Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #40
tlg

Garage

Steven, haven't had any issues with departure angle and I traverse a pretty steep incline just to access our driveway. That said, I run the 2 bike carrier vs the 4 bike carrier. I'll get a picture of the hitch immobilizer installed. I remember having similar fit issues but somehow managed to make it work. Will post tomorrow.