Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #61

awesome, thanks! I see they have some snow/winter sports attachments in the works to. that's super cool.

chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #62

Here is what I have been using and it works well for us. I got the 1up based on some recommendations from this thread and like it a lot. Trouble is, it made it too hard to get in the back of the van. The rack does tilt down but with 2 bikes on it, not gonna happen. I bought the Rack Attach to get it to swing out of the way and opted for the left hand side instead of the swing to the right. Like that too. I can use the 1up and tow my moto trailer as well but now kind of wish I had the new Aluminess setup for the top box so that I can use a hitch carrier for little moto AND keep the bikes on the back.

Now what I would like is some kind of cover for the bikes when driving wet dirt roads to keep all that road spray off the bikes and gears. Anybody using anything like that??

Old 06-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #63

Dust and dirt from trails is what got me to move the bikes to the front.

I get occasional bugs that way, but it's better than being completely covered in dust. For me at least. That said, all you really need to cover are the seat and the grip areas (with all the levers), out front at least. In the back, the chain might also be an area of concern.

That swing out arm is sweet though!

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #64

Garage
https://www.amazon.com/White-Lightni.../dp/B007FWDODQ
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #65

Chain Johnny... who would have thought?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #66

Garage
I liked the original name better, though. Protect your goodies!
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #67

I finished fabricating my rack setup and recently installed it. Works well so far. I used two 1UP trays and then used aluminum channel and angle to make the mount. Nice and clean. I did use an aluminum plate on the underside of the box to strengthen it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0271.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg  
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #68
Site Team

Garage
Just ordered a second 1Up rack, this one for the 4Runner. There was a bit of confusion along the way. The website 1upusa (the original url) takes you to a new company with no products but a promise to have some by the end of the year. 1up-usa is a new url but it gives you the original company. My guess is there's been an internal fracture within 1 Up and a partner (?) who owns the original url and has rights to the product design and name started the new company. The product it says it will offer has some changes from the original rack but the basic structure looks the same.

That's unfortunate. After multiple years and thousands of miles, many on forest service or back country roads, I'm continually impressed with this product. My new rack is identical to my original. The people at the original 1Up are just as helpful as ever. Who knows the backstory but I stand by my strong recommendation for this bike rack.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #69

This is a handy little item if you need to stabilize your chain with the rear wheels removed. We take both front and rear wheels off and keep them in the van. We also have a canvas cover to keep the bikes out of the weather on the rack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ9H6JK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Two road bikes in there without the wheels.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #70
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
There’s a few threads on bike racks and swing away carriers, figured for now I’d post this info here. I emailed RakAttack inquiring about a version I’ve read about here that would fit our rigs and might work with the swing out tire and Aluminess boxes a lot of us have. Here’s the response, I’ll be watching for the release. Not sure if the updated version will provide enough clearance for tires and boxes or if we’ll still need to use a hitch extender, I might have to follow up on that.....

Hi Rick,
Thanks for you interest in the RakAttach.
At this time, we are redesigning out XL version to make sure we distribute the load optimally across the hitch.
We are planning to use an accessory support bracket with the XL version to help reduce the strain when the unit is open.
I am currently out of stock in the long arm version, hopefully in the spring we will be ready to go.
Thanks!
Walter
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote