Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Towing a Fiat 500 Question

I'm wondering if I need to get the auxiliary braking system to two a 2015 Fiat 500 Sport (GW 2300 lbs) behind my 2014 Ford E-150 Sportmobile? I also want advice about what towbar and lighting harness makes the most sense, I've searched the web and found Fiat 500 Sport specified Blue Ox baseplates, towbar and lighting harness. Thanks for any advice, I'm completely new to towing a vehicle. SC

Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(734) 276-5715
Scamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Towing a Fiat 500 Question

edited and content removed...

while my intentions were good, my comprehension skills are lacking. my apologies carry on folks.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

It is a manual transmission. I've seen in some RV towing guide that it's safe to tow, whereas the auto trans is in advisable to tow.
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(734) 276-5715
Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #4

I recently purchased a tent trailer that weighs about 2500lbs dry. It has electric brakes and my van is equipped with a brake controller. When coming to a an abrupt stop, I can definitely feel its behind me and it takes a little longer to stop when going more than 50mph. I'll need to adjust my brake controller to get it dialed in, but I guess my point is that even at around 2500lbs, you'll want extra braking power.

I bought a car that was once a "toad" behind a big diesel pusher motorhome and it was an auto trans. The owner installed a driveshaft disconnect and an air brake system. With the braking system, theres an air canister under the hood and an a pedal/ram type thing you attach to the brake pedal inside. When you push on your brakes in the tow vehicle, somehow the air transfers and pushes on the brake pedal in the "toad". I think those air brake systems can be pricey, but if you'll be flat towing your fiat a lot, it will be worth it.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

Chances are, brakes will be required in many states you visit. Also, I'm a huge proponent of having a breakaway braking system in case things come loose.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I flat tow my Jeep Cherokee without issue. Just remember it is there and leave good braking distance in front of you where you can.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #7

BajaSportmobile, are you saying you flattow the Jeep without auxiliary brakes?
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(734) 276-5715
Old 09-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #8

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I have for years. Many of my friends flat tow their Cherokees and even XJ's. You have to consider the characteristics of the tow vehicle as well as the towed.

I have lots of towing experience with heavy loads - there are always better ways to do so but there are also practical ways that have proven safe.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #9

I agree with Baja. I've done it without aux brakes for years, with several vehicles.

Good luck

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:10 AM   #10

Garage

how extensive did you guys who flat tow make the bracketing where the towbars attach to the car being towed? ive only been able to look at one setup and he just bolted the brackets to the stock bumper and called it good. the bumper support on the car i would like to tow is only held on to the car with 4-10mm bolts (the head of the bolt, not the thread pitch/size). i dont trust that size bolt to hold up jerking a 2500lb car around behind the van. am i being paranoid?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote