Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #11

Re: Towing Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I tow nearly double that weight on occasion. FWIW i have the Tru-Cool max trans 40k trans cooler. Turns out even with the MagHytek cover its my diff that overheats first.
What tires are you using to tow at these higher weights. Not meaning to hijack the thread but its very relavent to the question. I had two blow outs last month in quick succession with a 2 year and 3 year old Michelin E rated pair. It seems that even at 80% of max weight the effect of the hitch weight on rough interstate terrain momentarily raises the SMB rear weight by far more than the tire capacity.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim
Guys,

Any thoughts on water / methanol injection to decrease EGT's will pulling up long mountain grades?

http://www.snowperformance.net/diesel-tow-max.html

Jim
Considered mandatory in the deserts of Australia where they really know and understand (and are allowed) to off road in high temperatures. The apparatus has a good rap and is widely installed on Land Cruisers Occa's and the like. No personal experience but I have used the same type of product on aircraft engines for 20 years.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I tow nearly double that weight on occasion. FWIW i have the Tru-Cool max trans 40k trans cooler. Turns out even with the MagHytek cover its my diff that overheats first.
What tires are you using to tow at these higher weights.
Toyo M55 (E's). It's a dually, for this reason exactly. When I first started towing with the van, I had a couple rear tires fail, and short tread life. I finally weight the thing, and I was overloading each of the rear tires (stock 245s) by 500 pounds.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #14

If you were 500 lbs over the limit that means your van weighed about 12,700 lbs? Huge number! Each E can carry 3041 lbs or 6080 on the rear axle. That's a lot more than I think the chassis can handle given stock brakes, springs, shocks etc. Even with dually. Where did you procure your dually conversion? Do you carry 2 spare tires for front and rear?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim
Guys,

Any thoughts on water / methanol injection to decrease EGT's will pulling up long mountain grades?

http://www.snowperformance.net/diesel-tow-max.html

Jim
I'm not pulling a trailer but killing the kitty and installing a high flow muffler lowered my EGTs some 200 degrees on long uphill grades.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
If you were 500 lbs over the limit that means your van weighed about 12,700 lbs? Huge number! Each E can carry 3041 lbs or 6080 on the rear axle. That's a lot more than I think the chassis can handle given stock brakes, springs, shocks etc. Even with dually. Where did you procure your dually conversion? Do you carry 2 spare tires for front and rear?
At the time, it wasn't quite that bad. I had to go light on the weight-distribution because the trailer tires were also maxed out. I'd estimate total van weight was ~11,000.

But yes, now I will top 14,000 pounds on the van. Front axle has been upgraded to the a newer 5,000# axle. All springs have been upgraded. I'm not concerned about the rest of the chassis since the EB E350s have the same frame specs as the 14,050 E450. I am over rear axle spec, but it's a full-float so there's no chance of catastrophic failure. I pull the bearings periodically to check for wear, they always look great. I did crack the diff carrier once, but that was the result of launching the van off a new water bar across the forest road, going about 50, with a full load and trailer. Still drove it home 300 miles.

I only carry one spare, and an adapter to still the dually up front. For a while I had dually hubs on the front, but converted back to SRW front hubs so I can run wider wheels and tires up front.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #17

JoeH,

Thanks for the exhaust note. Wow 200 degree drop, that's impressive. I need to up my exhaust from stock to 4". What kit did you use? The one for the longbed pick-up 04-07 F350?

Jim

2006 21' Quigley Class C RV
2006 E350 6.0 Ujoint 6" 4x4
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote