Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #1

Towing with a SMB

I am confused about the towing capacity of my SMB. Is it the same as an empty E350 van (10,000#), or is it something less than that due to the weight of the conversion?

Also, is the towing capacity different if it's gas, not diesel?

And one more question--will towing have an adverse effect on my new leaf springs? I don't want to have to replace them any time soon.

Thanks--

Old 07-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot
Re: Towing with a SMB

Is your rig a 4x4? If so, I know Quigley lowers the tow rating by 500-600 lbs to compensate for the weight of the extra axle and transfer case. SMB probably does the same.

I believe you can get the same tow capacity in gas and diesel if you get a lower rear axle ratio. You want to pay attention to the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) which is the van, cargo, and anything you are towing. For for my van that number is around 20,000 lbs, but I wouldn't want to drive it that heavy for very long or very often.

I wouldn't worry about your leaf springs while towing. If you are going to tow anything heavy, you should get a weight-distributing hitch which will also help save your rear springs. The owner's manual recommends you get 500 miles on the vehicle (to break in the rear axle) before towing.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #3

No, it's not a 4x4.

The GVWR on our van is 9400 lbs. The unloaded vehicle weighs 7119 lbs. Does that mean that the cargo and the trailer with load can only weigh a couple thousand pounds?

I want to tow a 2000# trailer with a 3800# load. Should an E-350 extended body gas SMB be able to handle that?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

My original post was incorrect, I meant to refer to the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).

Check the sticker on the driver's door jam for what the GCWR is. From that you can calculate how heavy a trailer you can tow. Remember to include the weight of all your gear in the SMB, water, gasoline, propane (if applicable). Your rig is lighter than many on this forum, but it is amazing how many pounds of "stuff" you can put into one.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schilhom
No, it's not a 4x4.

The GVWR on our van is 9400 lbs. The unloaded vehicle weighs 7119 lbs. Does that mean that the cargo and the trailer with load can only weigh a couple thousand pounds?

I want to tow a 2000# trailer with a 3800# load. Should an E-350 extended body gas SMB be able to handle that?
By "gas", are you referring to the V10? I assume so, since I don't think the V8 (5.4L) has a 10,000lb tow rating. I have an '06 E350 EB with the 6.0L PSD, and I think both the 6.0L and V10 are very capable tow engines, with the 6.0L peaking it's torque at lower RPMs. My SMB has a small galley, multiple Captain's seats, a rear bed platform and no other cabinetry, so I think it's on the light side for an SMB. I tow an 1800# trailer, with a 4500# load, and while I definitely slow down on steep hills, it does tow fairly comfortably. Not as well as the '02 7.3L F250 I used to have, but fairly well.

I'd like to have a weight distributing hitch like a Hensley, but I can't justify the price for only towing a few times a year.

Herb
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #6

It's the 5.4L V8, with full cabinetry, refrigerator, marine toilet, generator, etc.
Considering that, and the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight calculations, it's looking like it's probably borderline.

I really don't want to overtax my SMB and possibly damage something.
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #7

I tow my H1 Hummer Wagon on a trailer behind my 06 E350 with Quigley 4x4. Go about 900 to 1,000 miles from So Cal to ID. Kinda slow going over the pass to Tahoe/Reno, but other than that, no problems. I have the 6.0 PSD and 4.10 gears. I do not have the exact weight, but the trailer is probably 2,500lbs and the H1 is around 8,000lbs. Done this rountrip many times and never had a problem with the van.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
I am confused about the towing capacity of my SMB.
Understand the differences between GVWR, GCWR and GAWR.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-part ... -chart.htm

Quote:
And one more question--will towing have an adverse effect on my new leaf springs? I don't want to have to replace them any time soon.
In general, no, it will not have an adverse effect. The vehicle components are sufficiently strong to handle any load within the manufacturer specifications.

Here are the towing specs for a 2009 Econoline, straight from the Ford website (page 3):
http://assets.forddirect.fordvehicles.c ... 45E89D.pdf

In short, even in a worst case scenario, your van can easily tow 7,300 lbs.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote