Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Towing with my E250 RB – Check me and questions for tow gurus?

I need to do a long distance tow and I’m hoping to get some inputs and ideas? I read a lot of posts (even on other boards) and I still need to some guidance as I’m figuring this out on my own.

This will eventually be a lighter duty 4x4 setup like a transformer but be able to tow my bronco.

I got my lights and the trailer brake module done. Got my weighted tags 14k. I’m unsure about the trailer tires /wheels, and I need to make the journey to the truck stop to weigh everything.

Van- 2013 E250 Cargo Superduty – 5.4L Modular SOHC V8 **would an extra oil cooler be worthwhile?) any recommendations?
4 spd automatic 4R75E Livonia, ** I want to install an external or larger capacity transmission cooler (w/ gauge) any recommendations?

3.73 Ratio. semi float. – I want to upgrade the axles (re gear) with a 4x4 kit later, but this is it for now.

Van Tires- Toyo AT II Open Country
LT245/75R16 Load Range E, 120/11165-10PR
Max Load Single axle – (3042 lbs) at 80 psi Cold

GVWR: E-250 Van -9000 LB (vehicle rating sticker)
GVW- (1) Person, Fuel, no load -( I don’t know- guessing 6,000 lbs?)
Front GAWR: (3800 LB), LT245/75R16E 120/116R, 16 x7 Rim, 60 PSI cold
Rear GAWR: (5520 LB), LT245/75R16E 120/116R, 16 x7 Rim, 60 PSI cold

GCWR: E-250 Van -13,000 LBS.
Maximum Loaded trailer Weight: E 250 can tow - 7,400 LBs (from Ford Van towing specs)

So everything is going to need to be on diet, so I can be under or close to my max limit.

Here is my target

GVW: E-250 Van – (with load) Targeting 6,500 Lbs (or less)
Trailer load: 1969 Bronco GVW- 4,500 lbs (I don’t know) has aluminum half cab, small pizza cutter wheels, no extra stuff
Trailer GVWR: 7,000 Lbs- Targeting 6,800 Lbs (or less)
Trailer GCW: Loaded E-250 Van and trailer- 6,500 Lbs + 6,800 Lbs = 13,300 Lbs

Trailer: Rampart
GVWR: Trailer 7,000 Lbs., Empty Weight: 2,200 LBS
Axles: 2- 3,500 LB EZ Lube Brake Axles, Brakes: Electric 12” x2”

E 250 Van -Trailer Hitch (frame mounted)_ Shank_ Ball
Curt Class IV_ 10,000 Lb hitch_ Gross Trailer Weight
1,000 Lb Tongue Weight

with Weight Distribution Hitch -** Would the van would need a weight distribution hitch?
12,000 Lb Weight Distribution Hitch,
1,200 Lb Tongue Weight

Shank - 20,000 Lb Gross Trailer Weight
Max Vertical load _2,000lb
BPC Trailer ball _ 2 5/16, E-16 _ 10,000 lb

The tires on my van should be ok for the weight and too tow, but the trailer I’m not so sure of.

The reviews for these tires seemed to be above average positive (and we all know everything online is “Truth” ) but the tires are only 6 ply.
**I need to figure out a set of wheels, tires and get some sensors installed so I can monitor tire pressure. I was thinking lighter weight (aluminum wheel) and a heavier load range tire. Any recommendations?

ST205/75R15 (for trailer use only) 101/97m ( Radial ST Provider) Load range C
Max Load single axle- (1820 lbs) at 50 psi Cold
Max Load Dual Axle (1610 Lbs) at 50 psi Cold
Side walls (2) polyester
Tread (2) Polyester, (2) Steel, (1) Polyester.

The wheels are:
ARC Wheel - DOT T TMXM 5JX15 , 081605 Max load (1870 lbs) Trailer use only.

I'm also a little intimidated by trying to weight all this. I'd need (4) weights right? Van, Trailer, Bronco and everything all together? How do I do this exactly. Do I tell them when I go to the truck stop I need (4) weights? First weigh the van on the scale,(trailer off) and then pull forward trailer on scale (van off) and then weigh the bronco, then everything all together.

I know this is a busy thread but any thoughts or suggestions are welcome,,,,,

Old 11-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #2

Van- 2013 E250 Cargo Superduty – 5.4L Modular SOHC V8 **would an extra oil cooler be worthwhile?) any recommendations?

Judging from your thumbnail yours is a regular body correct? How many miles?

4 spd automatic 4R75E Livonia, ** I want to install an external or larger capacity transmission cooler (w/ gauge) any recommendations?

Highly recommend a bigger deeper pan they add about 5 quarts more fluid, they also aid in cooling. A tranny temp gauge is a MUST! Don't let your tranny get over 200-205.

3.73 Ratio. semi float. – I want to upgrade the axles (re gear) with a 4x4 kit later, but this is it for now.

Are you mostly traveling on the flat or going over mountains? The big uphills is what will stress your SF axle.

with Weight Distribution Hitch -** Would the van would need a weight distribution hitch?

The WD hitch is also highly recommended, with anti sway. With the Twin I-beam front suspension you want to keep the front ride height as close to stock as possible, without a WD hitch your front will go up, your tires will camber in and wear much faster. Plus the WD will remove some of the load off your rear axle.

I'm also a little intimidated by trying to weight all this. I'd need (4) weights right? Van, Trailer, Bronco and everything all together? How do I do this exactly. Do I tell them when I go to the truck stop I need (4) weights? First weigh the van on the scale,(trailer off) and then pull forward trailer on scale (van off) and then weigh the bronco, then everything all together.

I would put the bronco on the trailer, drive the van & trailer on to the scale (with the WD hitch in place and adjusted) and weigh them together. Drive off the scale unhitch the trailer and take the van over the scales. Compare the loaded and unloaded van axle weights. You will be able to do the math and figure what your loaded trailer weight is.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #3

I think you're on the right track. The stock transmission cooling should be ok at that weight, unless you end up doing a lot of steep, low-speed maneuvering. This will heat things up quick, when there isn't air flowing through the radiator. If you were towing a full-profile trailer, I'd say definitely upgrade the cooling. But IMO it'll likely be sufficient with the Bronco.

Definitely monitor transmission temps. Last year I finally pulled up trans temp on my OBD gauge (it's an UltraGauge, but actually like the ScanGauge more). It tracks exactly with my aftermarket analog trans temp gauge. I think it's safe to trust the OBD signal, and it certainly easier to install.

Likewise, I think your axle is sufficient at that weight. But do make sure it still has synthetic gear oil installed. It did from the factory, but Quickie Lube places love to up-sell inferior gear lube. It's the same axle that was stuffed behind V10s and diesels. Definitely marginal behind those motors, but should be fine behind the 5.4L. Especially since RB vans don't overload them like the EB vans usually do. That said... Doing a Sterling upgrade when you add 4x4, is the best way to match wheel-bolt patterns while also upping durability.

I do agree that weight distribution will make for a better towing experience. Since your tongue weight can be adjusted, unlike a travel trailer, I'd recommend something like the Anderson No-Sway. It's easier to manage, and can be used as a regular hitch.

Is there any reason you are trailering the Bronco, rather than flat-towing it? This would help cut some weight, and flat-towing generally behaves a little better than trailering.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #4

RB, 87K Mileage.

Is the transmission pan something that can be upgraded without pulling the trans? If so can I source it from a salvage yard or do I need to buy outright? My thinking was when I do the 4x4 conversion and source the trans for it that I’d have the internals upgraded for more normal type towing if possible. Same with the rear axle, source the axles for the 4x conversion full float rear and re-gear for more towing.

Most towing for now is flat, moderate hills,, the occasional mountains and I understand what I’m starting with has limitations from the start. The eventual goal is to work with what I have, upgrade what I can so I can do the occasional anywhere towing. Not looking to build a full time tow monster,

Ok on the weight distribution hitch. I kinda figured that so I’ll get it next. I’ll have to go a trailer place to help me install it and set it up. I’ve read about them, seen them and sorta know what they do but I need someone to go over it a few times until I can do it myself. If my Uncle was still alive he'd keep me straight on it as he was Mr Ford and drug a big airstream all over the country with e350 for many years. Most people I know don’t use them ( and or have weighted tags) but then they’re not RVers or heavy towing all the time. They just get by without it.

My van has the heavy rear springs (5520 lbs) and when I loaded the bronco on the trailer it did not seem to make the van "squat" at all. I'll post a pic of it.

I’ll also make to trip to the truck stop soon and try and get my weight numbers.

Thanks for the input.
Attached Thumbnails
E250 RB and trailer.jpg  
Old 11-30-2019, 04:27 PM   #5

Yeah, that does look like it's riding very level. But you still want to weigh your actual tongue weight, then compare that to the "weight carrying" limit on the sticker on your hitch receiver. If your tongue weight exceeds the "weight carrying" limit, then you need Weight Distribution to utilize the full capacity of your hitch receiver. For the most part, you can probably do a better job installing it yourself, following the instructions or watching some YouTube vids. It seems like many RV dealers are too rushed to do it right. If you go with the Andersen hitch, it's only a a couple more pairs of bolts to install, after you measure out where to sit the brackets.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #6

Carringb, I’ve read your posts all over the internet,,,, I didn’t think about the normal cooling. I’ve been interested in the OBD devices that plug into the port and can wirelessly transmit data (temps, engine data) to one’s phone, or in my case I’d like to set up a tablet to bring up the engine, trans and TPMS data on screen.

I’ll check and make sure the present rear end is set up with a synthetic gear oil. I’d certainly like to pick your brain on the axles more for the 4x4 conversion. As I said I’ve read too many of your posts from other forums on towing and stuff. I want to do everything I can to make that upgrade with strength, larger brakes and more than average towing capability. I’m not trying to “skirt” weight or specs of the van as I know what you have from the factory on paper is what you have. You can make it stronger for peace of mind though.

I will check into the Anderson No sway.

Good question, I’m not sure. My friend who was helping with my Bronco originally they all had trailers and they would haul their 4x s to offroad parks and wheel. They would use the trailer and set the tents up on (instead of the ground) etc. So I was doing what they did. He passed away so I was not sure what to do with the trailer and finally decided I’d try to make it work.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekgurl View Post
RB, 87K Mileage.

Is the transmission pan something that can be upgraded without pulling the trans? If so can I source it from a salvage yard or do I need to buy outright? My thinking was when I do the 4x4 conversion and source the trans for it that I’d have the internals upgraded for more normal type towing if possible. Same with the rear axle, source the axles for the 4x conversion full float rear and re-gear for more towing.

A tranny shop can install a new pan in 45 minutes. At the same time they will look your tranny over and replace the fluid.

Most towing for now is flat, moderate hills,, the occasional mountains and I understand what I’m starting with has limitations from the start. The eventual goal is to work with what I have, upgrade what I can so I can do the occasional anywhere towing. Not looking to build a full time tow monster,

Ok on the weight distribution hitch. I kinda figured that so I’ll get it next. I’ll have to go a trailer place to help me install it and set it up. I’ve read about them, seen them and sorta know what they do but I need someone to go over it a few times until I can do it myself. If my Uncle was still alive he'd keep me straight on it as he was Mr Ford and drug a big airstream all over the country with e350 for many years. Most people I know don’t use them ( and or have weighted tags) but then they’re not RVers or heavy towing all the time. They just get by without it.

My van has the heavy rear springs (5520 lbs) and when I loaded the bronco on the trailer it did not seem to make the van "squat" at all. I'll post a pic of it.

I’ll also make to trip to the truck stop soon and try and get my weight numbers.

Thanks for the input.
As carringb said you can vary your trailer weighing a lot by where you place your sweet Bronco on the trailer. Once you find the spot that works good for you, be sure to load the Bronco in the same place everytime
Attached Images

Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #8

ok,, I was to going to get alot done (loading, finding to right spot on the trailer, get the weights,) this weekend but its raining here,, better than snow I guess. Thanks for the pic of the pan,
Old 11-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #9

I been reading about " 5 star " tunes? Any feed back on that? I was definitely going upgrade the air intake.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:57 PM   #10

5-Star tuning is great! It definitely makes the van "smarter" when you are towing.

IMO - A different intake is not necessary in the 5.4L. It's already shared with the V10, so it's already bigger than it needs to be with that motor.

Yes, there are some good wireless OBD displays. I would definitely pair it with a standalone screen (even just your old phone), so it's always up, and not being hidden when you're using Maps or a call comes in.

BTW - Your brakes and really everything else on your van is already shared with the V10. The only limitation for your GCWR is just the power output of your 5.4L. If you exceed the GCWR, without any upgrades, the likely result is simply this: You might be a little slower, and it'll be downshifting more in the hills. It unlikely to be anything catastrophic, especially if you keep an eye you operating temps.