Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #11

Re: Trailer Builds?

Forgot about this thread and never posted a pic of the M/C trailer I built. Nothing special, but works great (and I did some stylish lines too). Anyway, after our Baja trip, Mrs. Deminimis indicated that we needed a cargo/camp trailer. Sooooo, I need to figure this out. I mostly bought the SMB so we could tour Baja with my dune buggy in tow (on a 16' car trailer). The buggy is big and takes up the car trailer and then some (hangs out past the rear of the trailer). Here's a pic of the buggy from last year to give you an idea of the siz of its footprint (its going through substantial changes right now, but the over-all size is constant) At most, I might be able to install a M/C rail on the tounge IF I place stops on the trailer to keep the buggy further back. Perhaps there is enough room on the tongue to install a tool/storage box instead. Perhaps if bringing the buggy, the M/C could stay home and I could fab a storage box that could carry the extra goodies (water/shower system, perhaps another 4D, etc.) Now, when in CA I saw a RV, pulling a cargo trailer, pulling a small boat trailer. Is that cool down there in Terminafornia?? Its not allowed up here, otherwise problem solved. Really would like to have the benefit of a small SMB-styled trailer (no, can't afford an Adventure Trailer). What to frick'n do, short of a massive toy hauler?? Any good (viable) ideas bouncing around your collective noggins?

Old 01-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Does your buggy go on the trailer nose in?

How tall does that make the load?

maybe you could build a box that sits over the front end of the buggy when it is on the trailer?
(something that could be removed when not needed)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #13

Greg,
Thats a great idea. Sort of like a race trailer, but instead of a rack of tires/wheels, I could fab a camping gear storage area. That's a fine idea. I like it. Could bolt it into the trailer stakes so it could be removed easily. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
You might want to look at military surplus M416 trailers or one of the derivatives as a starting point for customizing your own trailer.

http://groups.msn.com/M416

Herb

The M416's are nice but also an good alternative is the M116 Pioneer Trailer.
These units are originally military pioneer tool trailers which used to carry heavy tools. The trailers are built on 3/4 ton frames. We sanded ours down and spray painted it white. Plan to use it on a long expedition someday. We picked one up off Ebay a few years ago for about $650.00! and then proceeded to clean it up and put BFG's one em.

Here are some Pics(not of ours) and the link of some dude who's got one decked out:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/20 ... ailer.html
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
Site Team

NRL,

That's a totally sweet trailer you posted from the Landcruiser site! Never saw that thread when I used to hang out on that forum (my Chevy V8 FJ60 days).

BTW, if you don't mind my asking, are NRL your initials, or did you work at the Naval Research Lab? I worked with a bunch of those guys on a program some years back.

Herb
Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
NRL,

That's a totally sweet trailer you posted from the Landcruiser site! Never saw that thread when I used to hang out on that forum (my Chevy V8 FJ60 days).

BTW, if you don't mind my asking, are NRL your initials, or did you work at the Naval Research Lab? I worked with a bunch of those guys on a program some years back.

Herb
Love that Site. I still got my FJ80 Cruiser equipped with ARB/Kaymar/Warn Setup. Sadly, but really not that Sad when I get in the Sporto, it's not what I take when we go camping anymore.

To your question, Answer is: Yes and Yes,Sorta(Dad did and named me with the same initials a few decades ago).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Research_Laboratory

I myself conduct a broad program of scientific research and advanced development related to Sportsmobiles. LOL

Neal
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #17

Well, agreed to buy a little 4x6 1-ton military trailer from a buddy. Includes the stringer for the hitch. It has the 1-ton Jeep axle with new bearings and newer shocks (Ranchos, but I'm not going to throw them on the burn pile just yet), a spare and all wheels on normal steel wheels!! Now, I'll pick it up next month and then I'll have to figure out what I'm going to do with it. Most likely will paint to match, I'll fab a top with a couple of gas struts, and make it so the kids can sleep on it in a tent. Ah, who am I kidding? At most, I'll probably just paint it, have the inside Rhino'd and carry extra gear in the trailer under a blue crappy tarp from Wal-Mart. I didn't snap a pic and didn't pick it up yesterday as I need another paycheck to recover from my diesel repair bill yesterday. Should make a great off-road trailer though.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

My thing is "why are there no good Jeep trailers". If I had the capability to build something to tow a Jeep on a high clearance trailer it would be done! Same tires as the SMB and hell, the same tires as the Jeep if possible. A good lifted trailer would be nice. I do like my SMB trailer though. I'm just tired of trashing my van on Jeep trails. Want a job D?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #19

Dave,
Look at a military generator trailer. No sides to get in the way. Search http://www.idahomotorpool.com as that guy has quite a selection to get some ideas. This one is only $650. Not sure if it would fit your needs, but here's a pic:
Old 06-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #20

I found this beauty on craigslist. It was custom built by the owner. This was his prototype. He will be putting them into production soon. Amazing where it can go and how well it handles. I wanted to put it through it paces, so the PO and I jumped in his Jeep and did some off roading. Wow. He had no fear as to what he could do in his jeep. Did not even notice the trailer. Took it up to 85 on the freeway, tracked like a charm.

I really like some of the features. Battery, inverter charger with lights and outlets. It was designed to carry a motorcycle. Either with the joe hauler, or remove top and carry in trailer.